Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Art

I like it. Modern, 17th century Dutch, allsorts.
But i couldn't get my head around these..

Comments

• edited December 2018
    And if anyone would like to have a stab at how much they cost.
  • i hate a lot of modernist wish washy shite.

Two favourite "genres" are romanticism and realism, specifically american realism. Love some Edward Hopper or Bo Bartlett.
  • And if anyone would like to have a stab at how much they cost.

Seeing that there are 10 raffle tickets I'd say the one on the left probably costs about £30 when you take into consideration the cost of the frame etc.
  • This is where art gets contrived IMO.
    I bet they were in their thousands to buy.

Me the Wife and In laws went to the Tracey Emmin exhibition at the Turner in Margate a few years ago.
    I love art, my main interest is Japanese 17/18 century and I have a few very nice pieces, but even for someone who likes art Emmins exhibition was hard work, every room had at least one self drawn picture of her Vadge, It got a bit boring TBH, and was we left my Mother in Law said a little too loud, 'what a load of shit'. It did make me laugh.

As an aside, today Ive just bought part of a collection of a WW2 French Resistance Fighter and artist, who drew and painted WW2 scenes that he witnessed and/or action he was involved with, some pretty harrowing as you can imagine, all dated WW2 (mostly 44) and signed, and framed, I dont know the artist, Ive taken a bit of a punt, I wanted the whole collection of 14 pieces, but could only stretch the dough to 5 pieces.
  • I’ve never really ‘got’ art. The only thing I’ve seen that has really grabbed me was “That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do (The Door)” by Ivan Albright.

I saw it in a museum in Chicago. I usually spend about 30 seconds in front of any painting......but I must had stood transfixed by this for about 10 minutes.

• edited December 2018
    Art student wakes up in a panic and realises that finals week has arrived . They look around their room in a hungover daze and spot some old raffle tickets and a tags. Panic over, back to bed. Awful mounting btw.
  • As I used to say to when I was art college... "pretentious art wank!"

On a slightly more Brian Sewell type note, this is a very old, stale idea. Found object as art was something of challenging concept before the First World War. Now it's just tired, boring and lazy.
  • This, in my opinion, grossly underrated film may be relevant:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055361/
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

This, in my opinion, grossly underrated film may be relevant:

Stone the crows! I knew what that film would be without even clicking on the link @LenGlover!

Seeing that there are 10 raffle tickets I'd say the one on the left probably costs about £30 when you take into consideration the cost of the frame etc.
    £500 each is the answer.
  • I checked if my Valley Gold number was on any of the tickets - this would send the price up to Michelangelo proportions due to it's rarity. However, it wasn't, so market price = scrap value.
  • I don't know much about art but I like what I know.
  • Greenie said:

This is where art gets contrived IMO.

Me the Wife and In laws went to the Tracey Emmin exhibition at the Turner in Margate a few years ago.
    I love art, my main interest is Japanese 17/18 century and I have a few very nice pieces, but even for someone who likes art Emmins exhibition was hard work, every room had at least one self drawn picture of her Vadge, It got a bit boring TBH, and was we left my Mother in Law said a little too loud, 'what a load of shit'. It did make me laugh.

As an aside, today Ive just bought part of a collection of a WW2 French Resistance Fighter and artist, who drew and painted WW2 scenes that he witnessed and/or action he was involved with, some pretty harrowing as you can imagine, all dated WW2 (mostly 44) and signed, and framed, I dont know the artist, Ive taken a bit of a punt, I wanted the whole collection of 14 pieces, but could only stretch the dough to 5 pieces.

I'm struggling here with the vision in my head of how she did this, unless she has a neck like a giraffe. A couple of mirrors perhaps?

£500 too much is the answer.
  • I like it. Modern, 17th century Dutch, allsorts.
    But i couldn't get my head around these..

I would guess they're something to do with the transitory nature of life which can be a bit of a lottery.

Still pretty much bolox though.
  • both absolute dog shit - who the fuck in their right mind pays 500 notes for that crap
  • LenGlover said:

"Anthony Hancock". Who's he? I wondered. Any relation to Tony Hancock?
  • LenGlover said:

Very underrated, I agree.

Hilarious in parts and I remember a brilliant character role Mrs Crevatte, Hancock's landlady, played by Irene Handl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

This is where art gets contrived IMO.

I'm struggling here with the vision in my head of how she did this, unless she has a neck like a giraffe. A couple of mirrors perhaps?

Alternatively.....

unless she has a neck Vadge like a giraffe
  • by coincidence I was in an upmarket art gallery/store today in the Meadowhall Centre, Sheffield .. no rubbish here .. there were three prints of paintings by Bob Dylan, bright vivid colours, great stuff .. what really took my fancy was a bronze statuette (cast bronze) of the famous, if fictitious, Christmas football game between the huns and the Tommies, just a soldier in battle dress from each side .. a superb piece of work and I might buy one if I can do a deal with the gallery .. this store is full of brilliant art .. the kind of place where you could spend 20 grand, IF you had it to spare .. the gallery is part of a chain .. have a look here .. https://www.castlefineart.com/
  • edited December 2018

by coincidence I was in an upmarket art gallery/store today in the Meadowhall Centre, Sheffield .. no rubbish here .. there were three prints of paintings by Bob Dylan, bright vivid colours, great stuff .. what really took my fancy was a bronze statuette (cast bronze) of the famous, if fictitious, Christmas football game between the huns and the Tommies, just a soldier in battle dress from each side .. a superb piece of work and I might buy one if I can do a deal with the gallery .. this store is full of brilliant art .. the kind of place where you could spend 20 grand, IF you had it to spare .. the gallery is part of a chain .. have a look here .. https://www.castlefineart.com/

I believe my missus has secretly bought me one of those Dylan prints for Christmas (that is if they are part of a recently released set).
  • bobmunro said:

by coincidence I was in an upmarket art gallery/store today in the Meadowhall Centre, Sheffield .. no rubbish here .. there were three prints of paintings by Bob Dylan, bright vivid colours, great stuff .. what really took my fancy was a bronze statuette (cast bronze) of the famous, if fictitious, Christmas football game between the huns and the Tommies, just a soldier in battle dress from each side .. a superb piece of work and I might buy one if I can do a deal with the gallery .. this store is full of brilliant art .. the kind of place where you could spend 20 grand, IF you had it to spare .. the gallery is part of a chain .. have a look here .. https://www.castlefineart.com/

I believe my missus has secretly bought me one of those Dylan prints for Christmas (that is if they are part of a recently released set).
    the old open secret, secret present .. if Santa delivers, enjoy it and make sure you hang it away from direct light ((:>)
  • bobmunro said:

the old open secret, secret present .. if Santa delivers, enjoy it and make sure you hang it away from direct light ((:>)
    Well, I saw his latest stuff at a gallery nearby a couple of months ago, she went there for lunch today with a friend, and when I got home (early) she said I was lucky not to see a present she had just wrapped.

Two and two making five maybe.
  • It either clicks or doesn’t. Might need to know about the artist to help understand or it’s a piss take.
    I hold up the Malovitch Black Square as one of my all time favourite pieces of modern art.
  • Riviera said:

Well you're obviously a philistine. Two extremely powerful and thought provoking pieces. Surely anyone with a hint of appreciation of modern art can see that the subaqueous qualities of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix threatens to penetrate the inherent overspecificity?

My brain hurts.

£500 each is the answer.
    Fuck the fuck off?

£500 each is the answer.
    Fuck the fuck off?

Yep, a bargain. If you'd like to surprise the Mrs for Christmas they're at the Gerald Moore gallery Mottingham.

£500 each is the answer.
    Fuck the fuck off?

Yep, a bargain. If you'd like to surprise the Mrs for Christmas they're at the Gerald Moore gallery Mottingham.
    Blimey, there’s an art gallery in Mottingham? Duck-a-fuck