Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Art

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

And if anyone would like to have a stab at how much they cost.

Seeing that there are 10 raffle tickets I'd say the one on the left probably costs about £30 when you take into consideration the cost of the frame etc.
    £500 each is the answer.
    Fuck the fuck off?

Yep, a bargain. If you'd like to surprise the Mrs for Christmas they're at the Gerald Moore gallery Mottingham.
    Blimey, there’s an art gallery in Mottingham? Duck-a-fuck
    Chav Modern
  • Options
    One on the right is 'Mona at the Morgue'
  • Options
    Got a show on in Stoke Newington atm that I've organised.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Solidgone said:

It either clicks or doesn’t. Might need to know about the artist to help understand or it’s a piss take.
    I hold up the Malovitch Black Square as one of my all time favourite pieces of modern art.

Agree.

They don’t initially do anything for me but might, if there was a narrative that came with them.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

It either clicks or doesn’t. Might need to know about the artist to help understand or it’s a piss take.
    I hold up the Malovitch Black Square as one of my all time favourite pieces of modern art.

Agree.
    Seconded.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The purpose of some Art is to challenge our perceptions, something I try to do in some of my own work.

I don’t say this out of any snobbery or oneupmanship but for those who are not involved in the creative process, there are many things to consider, not just whether I/you may like something or not, or a piece of arts ‘artistic value’!

Again, I don’t know the artist of the pieces, nor their intention but the mere fact we’re talking about it, has it/they done it’s/their job?

Some of the most successful Art or Advertising is often the piece you don’t get or you find really annoying. Cilit Bang or the Go Compare Ads are very annoying and nauseating but you don’t forget them?

But if I were to give a valuation of these pieces. I’d look at how they’ve been framed in relation to the size of the artwork. I’d consider the symmetry, colour and graphics and all in relation to one another and all these considerations would enable me to formulate my opinion and whether the pieces work for me or not.

Having said all that though, I do often feel that a piece of ‘Art’ should be able to stand on its own without a narrative but perhaps that’s unrealistic on my part? At the end of the day, you either like something or you don’t and none of what I’ve said above will necessarily change that but do need to be considered, to make a valued judgement.
  • Options
    Did you get that present @bobmunro ?
  • Options
    Bump 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Curb_It said:
    I did :)

I have every reason to believe that my sons have also bought me a print for this Christmas (a Conor Harrington).
  • Options
    My new favourite gallery, Ben Oakly in Greenwich market. Not everyones cup of tea but interesting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My new favourite gallery, Ben Oakly in Greenwich market. Not everyones cup of tea but interesting
    Ben's a good guy 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Curb_It said:

I have every reason to believe that my sons have also bought me a print for this Christmas (a Conor Harrington).
    You been to see conors new mural in Greenwich yet?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Curb_It said:

This one?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Curb_It said:

This one?
    Thats the puppy, was part of a mural project I was involved with
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Curb_It said:

I haven't - but will if/when I get a chance.

That's the basis of the new print 'Study for The Blind Exit' that as you know I was lucky to secure when it went on sale last week. It actually arrived from HungryBoy yesterday. 

Conor is different gravy - with this one and the one I believe I have for Christmas (one of the 'Head of State' prints) I'll have seven of his works. 

Conor-Brexit-web-ready1jpg
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Curb_It said:

I haven't - but will if/when I get a chance.

That's the basis of the new print 'Study for The Blind Exit' that as you know I was lucky to secure when it went on sale last week. It actually arrived from HungryBoy yesterday. 

Conor is different gravy - with this one and the one I believe I have for Christmas (one of the 'Head of State' prints) I'll have seven of his works. 

Conor-Brexit-web-ready1jpg
    Hes top quality, one day I'll get round to clearing out some other stuff and picking one up.
  • Options
    Shared it before on another thread, but Doreen Fletcher's work really appeals to me. Reckon a lot of it is because I don't think I've ever known any photo / painting / music that takes me back to a certain part of my life as much as some of her paintings do (Particularly the Benjy's one in Mile End and the one of the side of the pub Bartlett Square ((Sabbarton Arms, closed around 2000)) among others)

https://youtu.be/ElO0oXCb9no

https://www.doreenfletcherartist.com/

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Curb_It said:

Lucky boy.

Got this as a joint pressie from both my sons, my missus and my youngest's missus.

HOS-SOH-June-1st-2017jpg

And this one also from my youngest.
    Conor Harrington - Monday Morning Glory  Hungryboy Books

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, Austin Texas. 
    Me and Jnr were there 2 years ago. Well wirth a visit if you’re in Texas.
  • Options
    this is gonna go down like a sack of shit on an art lovers thread i guess but having taken up painting recently (and really enjoying it), i've realised how easy it is and now see even less in other peoples paintings - to me, that mexican stuff looks like the sort of things that would be hanging on the wall wall of a primary school after doing a mexican project week or something   - as for the blurry heads above those - somebody's having you over - take an hour to put them together 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    this is gonna go down like a sack of shit on an art lovers thread i guess but having taken up painting recently (and really enjoying it), i've realised how easy it is and now see even less in other peoples paintings - to me, that mexican stuff looks like the sort of things that would be hanging on the wall wall of a primary school after doing a mexican project week or something   - as for the blurry heads above those - somebody's having you over - take an hour to put them together 
    Get busy with your brush, they were charging thousands of dollars for the large ones.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Get busy with your brush, they were charging thousands of dollars for the large ones.
    i'm on it 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Same fella that painted the blurry heads. You may have a natural talent, keep it up.. enjoying doing it is the main thing. 

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Same fella that painted the blurry heads. You may have a natural talent, keep it up.. enjoying doing it is the main thing. 

I think that guy may have a bit of talent!

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but this is a new addition by Jonny Green 

Looks a bit Baconesque to me. I like it.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    shine166 said:
    Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but this is a new addition by Jonny Green 

Looks a bit Baconesque to me. I like it.
    Hes super talented, there's a scheme been running through covid, called the Artists support pledge, 1000s of artists all making work for £200 or less and then intern buy a piece from a fellow artist once they reach £1000 in sales. This piece is technically a study, so not as well worked as his gallery pieces, but I've picked up some absolute bargains from taking part. Here's his Instagram, something like this would cost a grand normally.

https://instagram.com/jonnygreenart?igshid=1v3j7l6aadwp7
  • Options
    These are from Mexic-Arte. Another gallery in Austin.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Wasn't such a fan of the blurry heads but that is quality.