Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drones at Gatwick

Comments

• Options
    If you ever wanted conclusive proof that Britain was no longer a world power here it is!
  • Options
    Any chance that IF they actually catch the culprits the Tards will be shot?

No?

Oh well, not interested then.
  • Options
    Police saying that shooting it down would just be too dangerous. I’m no expert and have to accept that explanation but it seems odd to me that a special or even not so special marksman with a suitable weapon ought to be able to shoot down a drone.

I’m sure someone with greater knowledge will be able to tell me I’m wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Police saying that shooting it down would just be too dangerous. I’m no expert and have to accept that explanation but it seems odd to me that a special or even not so special marksman with a suitable weapon ought to be able to shoot down a drone.

It's the risk of ricochets apparently.
  • Options

As someone mentioned earlier, if this was happening in the states, they would have been shot down hours ago.
  • Options

Or just make sure people are inside and no aeroplanes airbourne and just shoot it down, doesn't seem very difficult. But admittedly i dont even understand why it has caused this much drama other than being a potential threat
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I would imagine there's also a decent chance of the bullet going straight through the drone and there's then the question of where it ends up.
  • Options
    This is long winded but just forward to the last few minutes. If this guy can knock something up in his garage I’m fairly sure that it’s not beyond the capabilities of the weapons industry to make something a little more sophisticated and with a better range.

https://youtu.be/mi3Ed-paCE4
  • Options

Or just make sure people are inside and no aeroplanes airbourne and just shoot it down, doesn't seem very difficult. But admittedly i dont even understand why it has caused this much drama other than being a potential threat
    It's quite difficult if you can't see it. I imagine it's difficult to keep track of a drone within a 674 hectare area of land. And, once it's spotted, you'd have to hope it didn't move by the time a police marksman arrived. I don't know much about drones, but one thing I do know is that they're very mobile.

There may be more than one. And if one is spotted and lost sight of, it's probably best to assume that it's still in the air somewhere. (Would you want to be the copper who tells air traffic control "we have lost sight of it, so you're probably ok to carry on flying. Hopefully it's not still up there and hopefully it won't bring down any planes"?)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bet they regret selling Boris's water cannons for scrap!
  • Options

As someone mentioned earlier, if this was happening in the states, they would have been shot down hours ago.
    Normally a fine post-event, but just changed.

https://fstoppers.com/drone/congress-passes-bill-allow-us-authorities-shoot-down-private-drones-295054
  • Options
    You can not fire bullets into the air.. where do they end up?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

It's quite difficult if you can't see it. I imagine it's difficult to keep track of a drone within a 674 hectare area of land. And, once it's spotted, you'd have to hope it didn't move by the time a police marksman arrived. I don't know much about drones, but one thing I do know is that they're very mobile.

There may be more than one. And if one is spotted and lost sight of, it's probably best to assume that it's still in the air somewhere. (Would you want to be the copper who tells air traffic control "we have lost sight of it, so you're probably ok to carry on flying. Hopefully it's not still up there and hopefully it won't bring down any planes"?)

I feel confident in saying that the British Army, Navy, Air Force and Special Services can muster more than one marksman in order to dot them around the Gatwick site.

Having given it thought I suspect that there is more to this delay in ridding the area of the drones.

My guess is that shooting them down would only rid this particular threat. By keeping them up in the air and trying to capture the perpetrators you reduce the risk of the terrorists just pitching up with new drones in a month or so.

• Options

Chizz said:

I feel confident in saying that the British Army, Navy, Air Force and Special Services can muster more than one marksman in order to dot them around the Gatwick site.

Having given it thought I suspect that there is more to this delay in ridding the area of the drones.

My guess is that shooting them down would only rid this particular threat. By keeping them up in the air and trying to capture the perpetrators you reduce the risk of the terrorists just pitching up with new drones in a month or so.

Airlines are also raking it in today, surely.

No need to issue refunds and saving a fortune on fuel.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

These guys would beg to differ.

https://youtu.be/IJEO3rmefmI
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Those lovely lads in the Middle East seem to enjoy firing their guns in the air without injury...?
  • Options

best to equip all airliners with air to air missiles .. and let passengers in 1st class have a pop at nailing a drone ..or RyanAir could charge a premium in cattle class .. bring your own ray gun

I have no doubt that it has already crossed O'Leary's mind!
  • Options

Yes but who would they have shot down?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Airlines are also raking it in today, surely.

No need to issue refunds and saving a fortune on fuel.
    They do have to offer refunds if passengers are delayed over a certain amount of time. They also have to "look after" their passengers, which means meals and refreshments and potentially overnight accommodation. They don't have to pay compensation on top of that, as the disruption isn't their fault.
  • Options

This is long winded but just forward to the last few minutes. If this guy can knock something up in his garage I’m fairly sure that it’s not beyond the capabilities of the weapons industry to make something a little more sophisticated and with a better range.

https://youtu.be/mi3Ed-paCE4

I’ve seen less kit in professional machine shops, that’s a proper garage that.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Those lovely lads in the Middle East seem to enjoy firing their guns in the air without injury...?
    They live in a desert though. No-one's going to notice a dead scorpion and a couple of traumatised meerkats. It might give the camels the hump though.
  • Options
    How high up are these drones? Haven’t seen that in what I’ve read about it.
  • Options
    13:35 update - She said: "Progress may seem like it is slow, but we are doing everything we can with Gatwick to resolve this with the safety of the public absolutely paramount."

When asked whether the airport would be open soon she said: "At the moment, until we can guarantee it's absolutely safe, then this is the right thing to do at this time.

So Gatwick is still at a halt and the last sighting was around 12pm , this is getting laughable how its come to standstill, agree with previous comments it wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world.
  • Options

20,000 passengers disrupted. Aircraft diverted to Paris, Amsterdam and other UK airports.

The authorities have been aware of the potential for this for a few years and yet no detailed contingency plan was in place. No police or Armed Forces marksmen brought in to “take out” the offending drones and now nearly 14 hours after the drones appeared the situation persists.

All the Commander of Gatwick Airport Police could offer was that he has 20 units whatever that means out trying to find the perpetrators.

Can you imagine this situation being allowed to continue in the USA or in France for example ?

You couldn’t make it up.

Just think, 20 poor plods on their bikes cycling around Surrey, looking for what?

• Options
    bobmunro said:

When firing into the air over the countryside? Seriously?

• Options

Yes but who would they have shot down?
    In the States? Everyone in range!