Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic today

The roads around the Valley have been busy all week with shoppers at the new M&S/ Sainsbury.
Today they will probably be manic by lunchtime. Give it a thought if driving and parking near the ground.

Comments

• Options
    I thought that the other week when I drove to the ground from Bluewater , parking near Asda .
    The traffic around the back there was scary , don’t think IKEA is open yet but this was for the cup game when the crowd was minimal.
    If we ever get back to the Premiership or have a big cup tie , it’s just gonna be gridlock round there unless something is sorted out .
  • Options

I thought that the other week when I drove to the ground from Bluewater , parking near Asda .
    The traffic around the back there was scary , don’t think IKEA is open yet but this was for the cup game when the crowd was minimal.
    If we ever get back to the Premiership or have a big cup tie , it’s just gonna be gridlock round there unless something is sorted out .

A big cup tie?

The new Ikea opens on Thursday 7th of feb. We play Southend on the Saturday. Should be interesting.
  • Options

A big cup tie?

The new Ikea opens on Thursday 7th of feb. We play Southend on the Saturday. Should be interesting.
    I take the kids to the cinema at the odeon fairly regularly down there,its going to be a no go zone when Ikea opens. Its a nightmare at the best of times,the road infrastructure is in no way geared up for the extra traffic the ikea opening will cause. Not the best idea was it?! :neutral:
  • Options

A big cup tie?

Charlton v Watford 1982

Charlton v Spurs 1985

They’re not that regular are they but that sort of thing when all of a sudden out of nowhere The Valley is packed !!
  • Options

A big cup tie?

Charlton v Watford 1982

Charlton v Spurs 1985

They’re not that regular are they but that sort of thing when all of a sudden out of nowhere The Valley is packed !!
    I was referring to the recent Donny at home palava, cup ambition seems to be a thing of the past. It would be great to worry about getting through the crowds again.
  • Options
    Yep it’s busy without any crowds , if we do have 5k more cars or whatever it is looking to park up it could be absolute carnage
  • Options
    The retail area has expanded significantly since we were getting 20k plus crowds.

I genuinely don’t think the area could cope on a Saturday if we were regularly doing that again
  • Options
    So Greenwich Council will blame any traffic issues on us rather than the retail outlets even though we've been here years.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

So Greenwich Council will blame any traffic issues on us rather than the retail outlets even though we've been here years.

Goes without saying.
  • Options
    Why did the council allow those retail parks to be built without upgrading the infrastructure?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

Why did the council allow those retail parks to be built without upgrading the infrastructure?

Because like all Councils / Governments these days, things are built to deal with the problems now rather than thinking about the ramifications in the future
  • Options

The retail area has expanded significantly since we were getting 20k plus crowds.

I genuinely don’t think the area could cope on a Saturday if we were regularly doing that again

Might have to wait a year or two for that to happen.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Because like all Councils / Governments these days, things are built to deal with the problems now rather than thinking about the ramifications in the future
    Very true just look at the retail park near Pembury, always used to get held up driving up the A21....until they by-passed the roundabout there....years latter.
  • Options

Might have to wait a year or two for that to happen.
    Jan 5th could be interesting if we are on a winning run
  • Options

iaitch said:

Very true just look at the retail park near Pembury, always used to get held up driving up the A21....until they by-passed the roundabout there....years latter.
    One of my Nan's moved down to Hailsham in the late 90s; always had to endure that bloody section of the A21 until the by pass got built - Its a small relief for my parents going down to visit her as the journey time takes its toll on them as they get older and this has made it slightly easier
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Retail parks earn councils money, upgrading infrastructure costs them money.
  • Options
    Traffic good round the Valley at the mo.
  • Options
    Traffic was quieter than usual . No problems at all.
  • Options

Traffic good round the Valley at the mo.

You put everyone off Bb.

• Options

iaitch said:

How does it earn them money?
    The local taxes they pay go to central, not local, government coffers.
    But the council are expected to maintain infrastructure on the pittance that central government give back from those taxes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

iaitch said:

But the council are expected to maintain infrastructure on the pittance that central government give back from those taxes.
    The whole ridiculous argument is that the local authorities should approve these builds as well as the stupid over crowded new build estates to fulfil our over crowded islands desire for housing and places to buy mass produced shit, and then the infrastructure comes. Which it never does until years and years later like the A21 bypass

What I shall add is the authority can bid and apply for money to do the required infrastructure work but building a new road costs a phenomenal amount of money and the government have already committed a lot of that to a lot of roadworks. So we all suffer
  • Options

Said exactly the same tonight. Chaos
  • Options
    Any major changes to the roads and parking around the Valley are unlikely. The shops are well served by buses from Greenwich and Woolwich and Charlton staion is minutes away.
    A direct bus from Eltham would be good.
  • Options
    Coming from the wrong side of the river (serves me right) through the blackwall tunnel yesterday it was carnage going past IKEA last half mile or so from leaving at Woolwich/Greenwich turn off to Asda took 20 mins .
    Obviously Christmas shopping made it busier but it was filth for the Donny cup game round there as well .
  • Options

So, it’s the local council that persuaded us to stick out the reserves in the FA Cup in case MU, Arsenal, Spurs etc had to come to The Valley.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iaitch said:

I never knew that, I always thought/assumed council tax went to local councils
  • Options

iainment said:

iaitch said:

They do - well half of them do. @iainment is incorrect.

The Local Government Finance Act 2012, gives local authorities the power to keep up to half of business rate income and transfer half of it centrally, to central government. The central share is then distributed to councils in the form of Revenue Support Grant.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

iainment said:

iaitch said:

The Local Government Finance Act 2012, gives local authorities the power to keep up to half of business rate income and transfer half of it centrally, to central government. The central share is then distributed to councils in the form of Revenue Support Grant.
    So they don't get the local business taxes in total then. Which is the point I was making. Badly.
    Are you sure the half going to central govt all goes to the RSG?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Addickted said:

iainment said:

iaitch said:

So they don't get the local business taxes in total then. Which is the point I was making. Badly.
    So then why ask how these projects earn them money, isn't the answer obvious? From the 50% of council tax they keep.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

iainment said:

Addickted said:

iainment said:

iaitch said:

So then why ask how these projects earn them money, isn't the answer obvious? From the 50% of council tax they keep.
    Business Rates and Council Tax are not the same. I believe Council Tax is retained by the local Council.