Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic today

2»

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

Addickted said:

iainment said:

iaitch said:

Why did the council allow those retail parks to be built without upgrading the infrastructure?

Retail parks earn councils money, upgrading infrastructure costs them money.
    How does it earn them money?
    The local taxes they pay go to central, not local, government coffers.
    But the council are expected to maintain infrastructure on the pittance that central government give back from those taxes.
    I never knew that, I always thought/assumed council tax went to local councils
    They do - well half of them do. @iainment is incorrect.

The Local Government Finance Act 2012, gives local authorities the power to keep up to half of business rate income and transfer half of it centrally, to central government. The central share is then distributed to councils in the form of Revenue Support Grant.
    Are you sure the half going to central govt all goes to the RSG?
    It does and more, such as top up tariffs and safety payments depending on the Council

The idea of change is to gives financial incentives to councils to grow their local economies and increase their income from business rates. The new retail park in Charlton is a perfect example of this.

• Options
    Addickted said:

iainment said:

Addickted said:

iainment said:

iaitch said:

Why did the council allow those retail parks to be built without upgrading the infrastructure?

Retail parks earn councils money, upgrading infrastructure costs them money.
    How does it earn them money?
    The local taxes they pay go to central, not local, government coffers.
    But the council are expected to maintain infrastructure on the pittance that central government give back from those taxes.
    I never knew that, I always thought/assumed council tax went to local councils
    They do - well half of them do. @iainment is incorrect.

The Local Government Finance Act 2012, gives local authorities the power to keep up to half of business rate income and transfer half of it centrally, to central government. The central share is then distributed to councils in the form of Revenue Support Grant.
    Are you sure the half going to central govt all goes to the RSG?
    It does and more, such as top up tariffs and safety payments depending on the Council

The idea of change is to gives financial incentives to councils to grow their local economies and increase their income from business rates. The new retail park in Charlton is a perfect example of this.

So how come all local government monies from central government are appreciably less now than previously?
    Why do they all have to make draconian cuts to services?