Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Villa looking to recall Steer next week (gone)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Don’t think Phillips should be a backup keeper. Problem is you can’t get a lob keeper in without agreeing to play them. So having sold all our keepers other than Phillips and Kennedy, Phillips has been fucked over.
  • Options
    From the OS article I guess he won't be coming back which is a shame. Instead he'll most likely spend the rest of the season in the reserves unless he's loaned out again.
  • Options

From the OS article I guess he won't be coming back which is a shame. Instead he'll most likely spend the rest of the season in the reserves unless he's loaned out again.

We are the only club he can be loaned to.
  • Options
    If you were Mark Bunn you'd be pretty pissed off. You've been sat on the Villa bench as reserve keeper all season, then when the number one gets injured they recall another keeper and you're still sat on the bench. And will be number 3 next week once Kalinic can play.
  • Options
    With Nyland injured, I imagine Steer and Bunn will compete to be back up keeper. Dean Smith might want to see Steer in person too, seeing that it was the previous manager Bruce who loaned him out
  • Options
    Steer immediately dropped to the Villa bench as Kalinic starts.
  • Options

Steer immediately dropped to the Villa bench as Kalinic starts.

I bet he's delighted.
  • Options
    He's clearly #2 now so probably not too put out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still don’t get why they’ve recalled him for one game
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Most keepers don't like sitting on the bench.

Steer was No1 keeper here a week ago.
    I bet he'd rather be starting for Charlton, than sitting on Villa's bench.

• Options
    Villa fans not happy with Kalinic today
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Lol! Do you really think that Steer wouldn't prefer to be playing in a promotion chasing team rather than just sitting on the bench for the rest of the season?

I bet he's really put out tonight when he saw what was going on at the Valley today knowing he could have been a part of it.
  • Options
    Will Jed / can Jed come back?
  • Options

Leuth said:

Lol! Do you really think that Steer wouldn't prefer to be playing in a promotion chasing team rather than just sitting on the bench for the rest of the season?

I bet he's really put out tonight when he saw what was going on at the Valley today knowing he could have been a part of it.
    Most professional players made it as pros against all odds because they have incredible (often misplaced) confidence in their own ability.

Steer will more likely be thinking “Villa called me back instead of signing another ‘keeper because they saw I did well at Charlton, it’s only a matter of time before I establish myself as number one here like I did at Charlton”.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Leuth said:

Most professional players made it as pros against all odds because they have incredible (often misplaced) confidence in their own ability.

Steer will more likely be thinking “Villa called me back instead of signing another ‘keeper because they saw I did well at Charlton, it’s only a matter of time before I establish myself as number one here like I did at Charlton”.

Good luck to him.
    Villa did sign another Goalkeeper though
  • Options

se9addick said:

Leuth said:

Good luck to him.
    Who’s getting pelters after his performance today.

I really think people exaggerate how exciting playing for us is, second choice at a bigger club would be more attractive than you playing for us as he’ll think that the sitting on the bench thing is a temporary arrangement.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Think it all depends what motivates him. Rob Elliot, for example, has played 60 times in over 7 years (and prime years at that from the ages of 25 to 32) at Newcastle and the rest of the time either warming the bench or not even in the first team squad. He is fit but now 4th choice at Newcastle and yet still "would like to stay and fight for his place". His current contract doesn't run out 'til 2020.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Leuth said:

Good luck to him.
    Who’s getting pelters after his performance today.

I really think people exaggerate how exciting playing for us is, second choice at a bigger club would be more attractive than you playing for us as he’ll think that the sitting on the bench thing is a temporary arrangement.
    Really? Villa haven't signed that bloke to sit on the bench. Even if he performed badly today, it was his debut and it happens. Of course it might not work out, but I have no doubt Steer believes he is sitting on a bench for the rest of the season.

Would take Bunn though, think he's a decent keeper at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

Think it all depends what motivates him. Rob Elliot, for example, has played 60 times in over 7 years (and prime years at that from the ages of 25 to 32) at Newcastle and the rest of the time either warming the bench or not even in the first team squad. He is fit but now 4th choice at Newcastle and yet still "would like to stay and fight for his place". His current contract doesn't run out 'til 2020.
    I suspect we both know what motivates Elliot. Money. (And nothing wrong with that - if he can set his family up for life by the time he stops playing, good luck to him). And, in fairness, lifestyle, because I saw an interview with him when he talks of living by the coast and taking his dogs and kids out for a walk on the beach most days.

As for Steer, is he really on so much at Villa that its worth just sitting on the bench and not playing? I doubt it. (And whilst I doubt he is living in Sparkhill or somewhere similar, I'm not sure lifestyle in the Birmingham area is that great).

And isn't his contract up at the end of this season? If so, if I was him I'd rather be out playing and seeing what offers come in for me rather than waiting for an offer that might, or might not, come in from Villa.

Either way, time will tell. And we'll see at the end of the season what pans out for him.
  • Options
    In 7 years it’s reasonable to assume Elliot has earned probably in excess of £1m per year (conservative estimate)
    So safe to say he’s set for life....

Still probably got a few years of playing time too
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

In 7 years it’s reasonable to assume Elliot has earned probably in excess of £1m per year (conservative estimate)

Id say its probably closer to 5 mil than it is 1
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Swisdom said:

1 million per year Swisdom said, very much doubt Elliott is on nearly 100k a week!
  • Options
    Watched MOTD, Kalinic should have done better on all 3 Swansea goals
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Swisdom said:

Elliot is not on 90k a week, much closer to the original posters 20k.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Leuth said:

Good luck to him.
    If Steer thinks that then he's completely deluded.

Everyone knows he's only been recalled because Nyland got injured, not because he did well for us. And there is no chance he's going to play ahead of an international keeper they just signed for 7m.

I'm 100% convinced he would rather be playing for us each week than sat on the Villa bench.
  • Options
    Another 2 goals conceded by Kalinic will be interesting to see if he could have done better with them like the 3 last week