Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If Burton Albion Beat Man City Over 2 Legs...

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

last night shows what a joke English football has become - Burton currently 9th aren't exactly doing crap, had a little cup run then get dismantled like last night, what a night for the fans to remember etc, the gulf in premier league to lower leagues is getting ridiculous, pals who are Chelsea, spurs, west ham fans call me such a lower league fan.

but last night half empty stadium, a "mickey mouse" cup semi final, man city didn't really have to get out of 1st gear and they scored 9 and not with the strongest team available to them.

all well and good getting these cup ties but cannot do the team any good losing on likely double figures, and not great for the fans either.

Small teams have been hammered by big teams from the moment football was invented - City smashing Burton last night is not at all a sign of “what a joke English football has become”. It’s why Cup upsets are so exciting, you can’t have one without the other.
    so you don't think in the days of teams paying twice the value of our club, ground and infrastructure for a single player is a joke?

cheapeast season tickets at clubs costing £43.57 a game is a joke?

how many players do city/chelsea have out on loan?

the pl is so advanced from the efl now i don't remember such a clear divide.
    I don’t think a small team getting hammered by a big team means that English football has become a joke.
    wasn't just the result was it?

but last night half empty stadium, a "mickey mouse" cup semi final, man city didn't really have to get out of 1st gear and they scored 9 and not with the strongest team available to them.
    Over 32,000 against Burton (their capacity is less than 7,000) is great - not just from the perspective of the revenue for Burton but, as Clough said last night, also for the players to play against some of the best players in the world. There's no disgrace in being thrashed by this City side when they are playing like that.

Equally, try telling Wigan that, when a League 1 side last season, their achievement in knocking City out of the F A Cup was valueless because that is another "mickey mouse" cup that the PL sides don't take seriously - the side that City put out that day was every much as strong as that put out last night. Both their magnificent result and Burton's thrashing should be what any Cup is about.

Let's put it another way - would it be better for us to reach a two leg semi, play City home and away but lose the first leg 9-0 or to do what we always do. And get knocked out in the first couple of rounds as we inevitably do?

It's the dream of winning the Cup that drives fans especially those in the lower leagues. And frankly a cup run for us is just a dream because our early departure has become something of a self fulfilling prophecy for the management, players and the supporters.

• Options

last night shows what a joke English football has become - Burton currently 9th aren't exactly doing crap, had a little cup run then get dismantled like last night, what a night for the fans to remember etc, the gulf in premier league to lower leagues is getting ridiculous, pals who are Chelsea, spurs, west ham fans call me such a lower league fan.

all well and good getting these cup ties but cannot do the team any good losing on likely double figures, and not great for the fans either.

Man City have already put 6 past Southampton and Huddersfield this season and also 6 past Shakhtar in the champions league then 7 past Rotherham so it's no real surprise they smashed Burton.

The current City side are one of the best sides in English football history, it doesn't mean English football is a joke. Burton had already achieved the incredible by getting to the semis.
    i think achievements will be accounted for the best side in English football history - also a part of me thinks with the money they have spent i could probably create a good side.

united's treble year was some achievement as they were the best in every position but were bloody impressive.

met a couple on holiday last year who were big city fans and said they have put so much into the local area, peps kids go to the school where he is head teacher etc.
    Achievements? You mean like winning the league with a record 100 points?

And i said 'one of' the best sides in english football history.

Ok they've spent a fortune, but so have United and they're 6th.
  • Options

Man City have already put 6 past Southampton and Huddersfield this season and also 6 past Shakhtar in the champions league then 7 past Rotherham so it's no real surprise they smashed Burton.

The current City side are one of the best sides in English football history, it doesn't mean English football is a joke. Burton had already achieved the incredible by getting to the semis.
    i think achievements will be accounted for the best side in English football history - also a part of me thinks with the money they have spent i could probably create a good side.

united's treble year was some achievement as they were the best in every position but were bloody impressive.

met a couple on holiday last year who were big city fans and said they have put so much into the local area, peps kids go to the school where he is head teacher etc.

Indeed money doesn't guarantee anything - Everton, for example, have spent over £350m over the course of the last 3 seasons and are 11th. Spurs have spent half that and are 21 points above them.
  • Options

We are in the same league as Burton and palace won at Man City .
    Just to bring some more misery to you all

The thing is that Burton (i believe) had more possession and shots than Palace at Man City - Burton had 26 % possession and 4 shots, whereas Palace had 23% and 3 shots (i believe that was the number,could be slightly wrong)
  • Options

We are in the same league as Burton and palace won at Man City .
    Just to bring some more misery to you all

The thing is that Burton (i believe) had more possession and shots than Palace at Man City - Burton had 26 % possession and 4 shots, whereas Palace had 23% and 3 shots (i believe that was the number,could be slightly wrong)
    I was wrong ,Palace had 22 % and 5 shots.
  • Options

the current man city side as in this season? have not won anything yet

they need cl i feel.
  • Options
    This Man City team are the best team I've seen play in the Premier League.
  • Options

This Man City team are the best team I've seen play in the Premier League.

Agreed, Liverpool and Spurs are very good teams too. Arsenal and Chelsea on their day can play great stuff.

I think, from a quality perspective, this is pretty much the golden era for English football - there’s a price to pay which is the increasing gap between the haves and the have nots, but teams at the lower end of the top tier and the upper end of the second tier (if they have those lovely parachute payments) can attract incredible talent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm just watching the highlights now. I'm only at the 30th minute, I don't understand what all the fuss is about...
  • Options
    The thing is, a top league side handing out a thrashing is nothing new in this Cup, didn’t Liverpool do Fulham 10-1 in the past a couple of times? And Liverpool put 8 or 9 past Swansea once in the late 80s?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Rothko said:

The thing is, a top league side handing out a thrashing is nothing new in this Cup, didn’t Liverpool do Fulham 10-1 in the past a couple of times? And Liverpool put 8 or 9 past Swansea once in the late 80s?

Don't forget Spurs who beat Crewe 13-2 back in the day FA Cup replay and Villa who beat us 11-1 in the league old Div 2 season 1959/60.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Rothko said:

Don't forget Spurs who beat Crewe 13-2 back in the day and Villa who beat us 11-1 in the league 1959/60.
    Can't speak for Spurs, but weren't we down to 10 men in the Villa game?

• Options
    @palarsehater are you forgetting us thumping Stevenage.

If you are saying the gap between Prem and FL is massive because the best team in England beat a team 51 places below them 9-0, then that must mean the gap between League 1 and League 2 is massive cos we thumped Stevenage.

Also how many prem teams were knocked out of FA Cup at the weekend or taking to replays.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    addick05 said:

RedChaser said:

Rothko said:

Don't forget Spurs who beat Crewe 13-2 back in the day and Villa who beat us 11-1 in the league 1959/60.

I was in short pants and hardly went to aways with my Dad but it rings a bell, keeper Willie Duff may have gone off injured and no subs then. I do know that I was in tears when the score came over my Granddad's wireless and they tried to console me with a 'Don't worry boy it must be a misprint, probably a 1-1 draw'. Alas it wasn't :cry:
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Small teams have been hammered by big teams from the moment football was invented - City smashing Burton last night is not at all a sign of “what a joke English football has become”. It’s why Cup upsets are so exciting, you can’t have one without the other.
    so you don't think in the days of teams paying twice the value of our club, ground and infrastructure for a single player is a joke?

cheapeast season tickets at clubs costing £43.57 a game is a joke?

how many players do city/chelsea have out on loan?

the pl is so advanced from the efl now i don't remember such a clear divide.
    I don’t think a small team getting hammered by a big team means that English football has become a joke.
    wasn't just the result was it?

Some of the "blame" has to be down to Nigel Clough.
    He tried to play a game of football against Man C, instead of doing what AFC did against us & sticking 11 men behind the ball.

It was doubly daft when they quickly conceded a couple and Man C looked capable of double figures, unless he shut up shop, but he did nothing to try and prevent the onslaught.

(Ok, I only half watched the game and I know Man C are incredible but .... ).
  • Options
    If Briton beat Man City over two legs, I will buy a large hat, and eat it.
  • Options

If Briton beat Man City over two legs, I will buy a large hat, and eat it.

Blimey is Giggs coming out of retirement and Sordell playing :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    :frowning: need to proof read.
  • Options

:frowning: need to proof read.

Nah you're alright, I'm the same as evidenced by most of my posts having to be edited :blush:
  • Options

the current man city side as in this season? have not won anything yet

they need cl i feel.
    What are Man City going to do with Charlton Life?
    Pay it handsomely would be a very fine start
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

addick05 said:

RedChaser said:

Rothko said:

I was in short pants and hardly went to aways with my Dad but it rings a bell, keeper Willie Duff may have gone off injured and no subs then. I do know that I was in tears when the score came over my Granddad's wireless and they tried to console me with a 'Don't worry boy it must be a misprint, probably a 1-1 draw'. Alas it wasn't :cry:
    My old boss was there and he always said that the bit that gets airbrushed out of history was that it was 6-0 before Willie Duff went off!
  • Options

Doesnt matter what Man City achieve... I'll always remember them for this!! (4:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtFQVVDCwk

can't rob the memories
  • Options
    Currently 1-0 to City

De Bruyne and Aguero both playing
  • Options
    9-0 after the first leg, realistically what academy level could City play down to?

Would the under 18s lose 9-0?
    Under 16s?
  • Options
    Come on Burton 11 goals in the last or 15 mins
  • Options
    Can Burton draw a quarter of this tie