Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds spygate scandal

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Incredible what I've read and seen. After watching the first NetFilx episode of "Sunderland Tile I Die" it makes Simon Grayson's flip chart talk, a complete joke.
    Having watched a few of the Man City's "All or Nothing", Man City looked well prepared but not on this level.
    I can see a point on not over complicating things and just concentrating on what you do right.
  • Options
    In a funny sort of way this the Derby episode reminds me of when Trevor Francis, Manager of Birmingham, couldn't get his way for the penalty shoot out, against David Moyes' Preston, to be held at the empty end of the ground rather than the one in front of the home fans. Twice he took his players off the pitch and he made such a big thing of it that one can't help thinking that it didn't help his players when it came to actually taking the penalties - they missed their first two.

Lampard and Derby, in raising this so close to the game, left themselves nowhere to go and in doing so must have raised some doubts in the minds of their players. If they hadn't said anything before the game and had won then it wouldn't have mattered anyway (and they could still have lodged a complaint) but the fact that they didn't and were totally outplayed meant that all they could say was that the incident had no bearing on the result. To do otherwise would have been an admittance by Lampard that he had been out thought tactically.
  • Options

Sage said:

Also, Bielsa isn’t doing this for an ego, as an example, he has said he has watched Sheffield United for hours and hours since Wilder has been in charge. He has said he has tried to replicate some of the work Wilder does but has said that he can’t, he’s praised Wilder massively, and when you consider each background, to come out and say I’ve tried to copy his ideas but I don’t have the ability to, I am sure that Chris Wilder would’ve been very pleased with that.

What could've been.
    It's all that damn Airmans fault.

Roland said so.
  • Options
    Excellent article but this paragraph, in particular, sums up the lack of seriousness of this scandal but also confirms what many have said on this thread about the double standards employed by Lampard:

Let’s deal, though, briefly, with the “spying”. A man with binoculars was caught, on public land, peering over a fence into Derby’s training session. It’s not exactly tradecraft of the highest order. There was no trespassing, no breaking and entering, no crime or breach of any regulation other than the vague sense that this sort of thing isn’t on– even though the complaint was brought by a former midfielder who achieved his greatest success under a manager who not merely committed the exact same “offence” (as André Villas-Boas revealed) but also committed far great infractions against moral codes both written and unwritten.
  • Options
    Bielsa has now gone and named his Leeds team ahead of the Stoke game on Saturday - Really hope he tonks them!!
  • Options
    Looking forwardto Bielsa welcoming all the oppo's to Leeds training ground any time soon.
  • Options

Bielsa has now gone and named his Leeds team ahead of the Stoke game on Saturday - Really hope he tonks them!!

This is a regular thing, his pre-match press conferences he always goes through each individual and whether they are fit to play or going to play. He lays everything out on the table and leaves no stone unturned. It goes to show that even with the information he gives to other teams about Leeds, they still can’t use that to their advantage with Leeds being top of the league.
  • Options
    Just in case anyone wanted to read it, here is the entire lecture that he gave to the press:
    https://www.football365.com/news/full-transcript-from-bielsas-70-minute-spygate-lecture

Impressive stuff from an impressive person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sage said:

Also, Bielsa isn’t doing this for an ego, as an example, he has said he has watched Sheffield United for hours and hours since Wilder has been in charge. He has said he has tried to replicate some of the work Wilder does but has said that he can’t, he’s praised Wilder massively, and when you consider each background, to come out and say I’ve tried to copy his ideas but I don’t have the ability to, I am sure that Chris Wilder would’ve been very pleased with that.

As per the opening of your post it certainly doesnt sound like his ego - At one point one of the tweets last night mentioned how he gets anxiety over potentially being "found out" as a Manager as so does all this to stave off failure.

In a way its a shock he's not been linked with the Man Utd job what with his past CV
    Ego never comes into it at all, as you’ve said too. He is someone who dedicates his life to the game and his work. He even has a bed at Thorpe Arch to stay rather than going home.

He wouldn’t go to a club like Manchester United because it is either Bielsa’s way or no way at all. The influence of the board at a club like Manchester United is too much for Bielsa. - he left Lazio after just 2 days because of the owner and technical director was not letting him do the changes he wanted to do, so he quit.
  • Options
    such a shame he's at Leeds. actually because he's at Leeds the club should be punished for this down right disgraceful cheating. the FA/FL should close that muggy club up and throw away the keys.
  • Options
    Interesting to see how everyone else has reacted to it within the Championship really

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46878655

Are they right in what they say; i.e. What Bielsa is doing is nothing special or are they trying to hide their own defficiencies within the game?

Find it odd how all them can claim its nothing special yet the likes of Zidane and Guardiola do
  • Options

Interesting to see how everyone else has reacted to it within the Championship really

Are they right in what they say; i.e. What Bielsa is doing is nothing special or are they trying to hide their own defficiencies within the game?

Find it odd how all them can claim its nothing special yet the likes of Zidane and Guardiola do

If they're all doing the same why aren't they as successful? Some have bigger budgets and so called better players. Bielsa is a better coach than the majority of them and develops players.
  • Options
    I felt disappointed that spygate was so low tech. Surely in 2019 Binoculars are passe and a quiet drone (oxymoron alert) should of recorded the unusual free kick Derby were planning to try out on dirty Leeds.
  • Options

If they're all doing the same why aren't they as successful? Some have bigger budgets and so called better players. Bielsa is a better coach than the majority of them and develops players.
    Feel the exact same.

There is no way these other managers of other clubs are doing the same level of in-depth analysis, even with their analyst teams, there is not a chance they would know everything there was to know about a specific game back in the middle of September as an example, not the way Bielsa does.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Feel the exact same.

There is no way these other managers of other clubs are doing the same level of in-depth analysis, even with their analyst teams, there is not a chance they would know everything there was to know about a specific game back in the middle of September as an example, not the way Bielsa does.
    You'd imagine those who claim they're doing the same are simply trying to avoid the next question of: "Well why arent you?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not sure Martin Keown and Robbie Savage are great people to waffle on about the morals and ethics of the game.

Sure its probably not the done thing here but bet its happened quite a few times!
  • Options
    Just seen that Lyle Taylor has tweeted: "HOW!" with regards to this - Like his comments about Luis Suarez (10 game ban) / Sam Finley (5 game ban) its something the bodies really need to think hard and long about!!

• Options
    Just seen that Lyle Taylor has tweeted: "HOW!" with regards to this - Like his comments about Luis Suarez (10 game ban) / Sam Finley (5 game ban) its something the bodies really need to think hard and long about!!

Couldn’t agree more 
  • Options
    Ridiculous fine.

Should use a drone next time.
  • Options
    Persoanlly what Leeds did was wrong, however they haven't broken any rules or laws so shouldn't be punished but given a warning.

So the authorities should say "Leeds did wrong but broke no laws so in this occassion we will not punish them. So therefore we are giving them a warning. As a result of this from this day onwards it is against our law and anyone found guilty of this will now face sanctions."
  • Options
    The thing is there are training grounds visible from public right of ways. Our training ground for example; if go to the end of Sparrows Lane, you have the gates to the training ground directly in front of you. And to the right of those gates is a public footpath that leads into Avery Hill Park. If you walk far enough down that path, you can see into our training ground and our players train. So anyone can stand there watching and they are doing nothing wrong as they are standing on a public right of way. The press would have gatehred there when the England team used our training ground in about 2003.

With Millwall's training ground in Downham/Bellingham; if you turn of the Bromley into Ashgrove Road with the drive-thru Macs on your right and follow that road round to the left there is then fields on your right and that is Millwall's training ground. One time I was cutting down that road in my car to save time, I could see in my peripheral vision the Millwall players just doing some warm up runs. No I did not stay and watch, I wanted get out of the area. But it is there where anybody could sit and spy on Millwall players just sitting in a car. And from a distance it is hard to see if anyone is in a car or not. You just see reflections. Short of putting up boarding anyone can see.

Most of the big clubs' training complexes are more difficult as it like entering a prison so it's more difficult to see the players train.

• Options
    This is ridiculous.
    Leeds have done nothing wrong either against the rules or the spirit of the game.
  • Options
    If only they were on Sky a bit more, they could use that money to pay the fine.