Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accepting my first professional Internship/Job. Advice Needed

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Even if you're working 6 days a week, I'd imagine there's plenty of ways to make working at a Theme Park fun. Even if it's a disaster, which it almost certainly won't be, you'll learn some life lessons and grow a little - the mistakes we make are just a much a part of life's rich tapestry as our successes. You have lots to gain, and relatively little to lose, and we tend to regret the things we didn't do more than the things we did.

Most things are what we make of them anyway, so do it and make the most you can of it.

Apologies for such a cliche riddled post, but I think they're valid in this case.
  • Options
    Met one by the pool in Hawaii you say? Sounds dreadful.

Bottom line is, what you got to lose? Sure we can all wait for our “ideal” job to come along, but in reality that rarely happens (look no further than Henry Irving for that). But if it sounds good, is in the area you’re looking at and the opportunities are there, what’s to lose?
  • Options

Many years ago the famous Horse Whisperer Monty Roberts was starting out as a horse trainer. He contacted a well-known Californian trainer, and for work experience spent ten weeks as a virtual slave in his stables. He worked a long old day seven days a week, much of the time on heavy physical labour. He was given no board or lodging. He slept in an empty barn or in his car and, having very little money of his own, lived mainly off Hershey bars. He was very fit but gradually came close to exhaustion, and on a rare visit home shocked his wife by how thin he had become. What kept him going was the thought of how much money he would pick up at the end of his time, and also the priceless knowledge he was gaining.

Well, come the end of his stay his boss did indeed have an envelope for him - it contained a hefty invoice!! His boss told him that the intensive "course" he had been on would stand him in good stead for the rest of his life. He would look back and give thanks for the invaluable tuition he had received.

Somewhat ruefully Monty had to agree, and though it was a struggle eventually he paid off every cent of the invoice.

Good luck, young man!!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Go for it mate. You’ll meet some really decent people and make some really good friends

I did Camp America in 2005 and like Athletico Charlton, got paid peanuts but it wasn’t about the money. The experience was great. I was unsure when I got there and even thought about coming home in the first few days, but I stayed. Would’ve regretted had I not. If you don’t go for this you may regret it in the long run

• Options
    edited January 2019
    bobmunro said:

Rossman92 said:

Three words: go for it! Sounds like a chance to make some incredible life long memories.

Also how do I get a friends and family discount? :-)

Walk up to the turnstile, woo the girl with some british charm and she'll probabaly let you right in haha
    I've been wooing people with my British charm all my life.

And the key lesson I've learned - it doesn't work :(
    You've gotta take that charm out of Britain, then it works wonders, trust me ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rossman92 said:

Thank you everyone for the kind words and wishes and for the amazing advice! Spent all last night thinking about it and I will be calling to accept the job this afternoon! Cheers to you all!

That's alright Donald.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

bobmunro said:

Rossman92 said:

Three words: go for it! Sounds like a chance to make some incredible life long memories.

Also how do I get a friends and family discount? :-)

Walk up to the turnstile, woo the girl with some british charm and she'll probabaly let you right in haha
    I've been wooing people with my British charm all my life.

And the key lesson I've learned - it doesn't work :(
    You've gotta take that charm out of Britain, then it works wonders, trust me ;)
    I've also found that when up t'north a 'cultured' London accent (like mine!!) seems to get positive attention! Not that I've ever had the problem of having to fight hoards of attractive young ladies off!
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Thank you everyone for the kind words and wishes and for the amazing advice! Spent all last night thinking about it and I will be calling to accept the job this afternoon! Cheers to you all!

Good news. You reflected, took soundings from others and then came to a conclusion. Very positive traits that will serve you well in the future.
  • Options
    I don't regret the opportunities I took.
    I do regret some that I didn't.
    So I say go for it.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Hi all you lifers! I'm seeking some advice from you wonderful minds. As of this afternoon, I have been offered a high profile internship with Cedar Point amusement park for the summer (voted 2nd best amusement park in the world). I have been working hard for months to try and land this position but over the last couple of weeks, ive started to have some doubts. The hours would be long and I'd only have one day off per week. I fear I may miss home and will not have free time to enjoy any of my summer as I would be able to if I got an internship in Wisconsin. I'm hoping to make a decision by Friday.

Anyone had similar fears or reservations about accepting a job? How'd you get through it?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Do it... I moved to Switzerland for work 2 years ago... Was nerve-wracking af. Since been promoted and love life out here, havent looked back since.
  • Options
    Good on yer Rossman92, you will have a ball :wink:
  • Options
    Good luck @Rossman92 ..please let us know how it goes
  • Options
    There words .... Go for it
  • Options
    Charlton Life trip to Cedar Point this summer?

Sounds like a great opportunity, I’m sure there will be plenty of attractive young ladies to spend your day off with too!
  • Options
    Just go for it, Americans go mad for the British accent. it will be a fantastic opportunity and worst case scenario, you come back and try something new. I've only had about 5 positions in my career so far, but I'm always thinking about the next step, be it within the current organisation or a new one. If you don't take risks like this when they are offered, you'll end up regretting it.

Look forward to hear how you get on stateside!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Sounds like a great opportunity, I’m sure there will be plenty of attractive young ladies to spend your day off with too!

I second this! Just googled it and it looks quality!

Fair play for accepting though. Will be a cracking experience.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

HE’S NOT BRITISH!

Yes he is... Just another treasonous rebel ;)
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Nice one @Rossman92
    Prepare to work hard -Those corn dogs don’t sell themselves you know.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

HE’S NOT BRITISH!

And what makes you think he'd like to spend his a day off with attractive young ladies?

Quite a few assumptions going on here.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I second this! Just googled it and it looks quality!

Fair play for accepting though. Will be a cracking experience.
    Voted #2 park in the world!! (Tossers at Europa Park in Germany have us beat).
    You would'nt regret the trip
  • Options
    as everyone says- go for it Ross. You'll never forget it , and you'll always wonder what might have been if you dont.
  • Options

as everyone says- go for it Ross. You'll never forget it , and you'll always wonder what might have been if you dont.

Was President your first job?

Seriously impressed! Most of us have to start at the bottom. :smile:

• Options
    Ross, please report back with anecdotes on any special days, we'd love to live your experience.
  • Options
    I will be sure to report back and send a few pictures of the goings on during my time at Cedar Point! I really appreciate everyone's support!

(In case anyone is wondering what kind of insane rides CP have on offer, here is the link to the POV for their newest record breaking coaster which opened last year going by the name of Steel Vengeance)

*Can't bloody wait to ride it!

https://youtu.be/JVKK4QxWSNo