Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

70's scarf

Comments

• Options
    Had one of those. Did it have tartan on the reverse?
  • Options

Spotted this this morning in Greenwich Market. £15

I had one of those in the 70s. I'd have bought it.
  • Options

To be worn around your wrist, not neck.
    This
  • Options

A la Bay City Rollers who were, for some unknown reason, the band of the time
  • Options
    Addickted said:

This
    To keep your wrist warm?
  • Options

No. CHARLTON ATHLETIC
  • Options
    We have four different types of silk scarf in the Museum, including this one, but always happy to have more

We were debating if they should be displayed flat or tied around a dummy wrist.
  • Options

We have four different types of silk scarf in the Museum, including this one, but always happy to have more

We were debating if they should be displayed flat or tied around a dummy wrist.

Around the wrist. Home one side, gold away the other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    PopIcon said:

Addickted said:

This
    To keep your wrist warm?
    Nobody wanted a cold stiff wrist and no internet in the 70s.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I had one, I would buy this!! When we were called The Valiants.
    It had to be worn round the wrist, with double denim and DM's contributing to the ensemble.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

It had to be worn round the wrist, with double denim and DM's contributing to the ensemble.

I can get for £12 if you want it.
  • Options

Greenie said:

I can get for £12 if you want it.
    Yes mate, Ill PM you.
    Cheers
  • Options

We couldn't produce a scarf like that now - you couldn't be sure who would be at the Club at the start of the season let alone the end. Apart from Solly we have no one to match the likes on that scarf of Warman, Powell, Hales, Flanagan, Bowman, Hales, Penfold, Hunt, Curtis, Peacock etc etc in terms of longevity. That's 10 players who were with us for at least 5 years and in most cases 10 in total.

Today’s scarf would have lcd built in screens, where you could swipe right or left.
  • Options
    Top array of barnets.
  • Options
    I didn’t have that particular type of scarf but I did have a “silk”scarf” with Charlton written on it and which I used to wear hanging from my waist through a belt loop on my flared Levi’s.

That scarf was then superceded by a nylonic “ woollen “ red and white scarf with a thin yellow stripes signifying the then away colours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah the agony of when you got a "pull" in the nylon thread and you were wandering around with strands of scarf, you looked a right plum... hold on, on reflection not a great look was it?
  • Options

Ah the agony of when you got a "pull" in the nylon thread and you were wandering around with strands of scarf, you looked a right plum... hold on, on reflection not a great look was it?

No but if you lived and breathed all things Charlton, it's what you did.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Being chased down some northern back street being called a fookin cockney caaaannt was not a good look either but we certainly laughed about it afterwards.
  • Options
    I had one and if I remember rightly the 1st batch of scafs didn’t have Derek Hales face on them.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly Bilko you had two, 1 round your neck and the other round your wrist, you kept tripping up on the one round your wrist as you are only a little geezer :smiley:
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Love that. I remember all those players. Will have a look if it's still there next week.

If anyone has the silk scarf that was nicked off me after the Preston promotion match in '75, I'm willing to enter into negotiations.

Also, I'm a bit bigger now so ready for round two.
  • Options
    Pretty sure I have a couple of silk scarves in my loft although just the ones with a Charlton written on them. Must take a look!
  • Options
    Bilko said:

I had one and if I remember rightly the 1st batch of scafs didn’t have Derek Hales face on them.

That’s right and I believe the club provided a free extra one with Killer on it. I think I’ve still got both in th loft somewhere with a wristband to hold them in.

• Options
    Mine went to the Museum and had 2 Phil Warman's
  • Options

Pretty sure I have a couple of silk scarves in my loft although just the ones with a Charlton written on them. Must take a look!

Yes, you must