Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Emiliano Sala plane crash

Comments

• Options

The organiser of a flight that killed footballer Emiliano Sala "created risk" by cutting corners to suit his business, a jury heard.

Martin Goudie QC, prosecuting, told Cardiff Crown Court that David Henderson "lied" and blamed the pilot.

The case, he said, highlighted "breach after breach, all known about and all encouraged by Mr Henderson".

Plane operator Mr Henderson, 67, of Hotham, East Riding, Yorkshire, denies endangering an aircraft's safety.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59051657

• Options
    Did Cardiff ever pay his transfer fee?
  • Options

The organiser of the flight in which footballer Emiliano Sala died has been found guilty by majority verdict of endangering the safety of an aircraft.

Sala, 28, and pilot David Ibbotson, 59, died in the crash in the English Channel in January 2019.

David Henderson, 67, of Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire, was found guilty after a trial at Cardiff Crown Court.

He had also previously admitted trying to arrange a flight for a passenger without permission or authorisation.

Henderson will be sentenced on 12 November. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59062626

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Did Cardiff ever pay his transfer fee?
    No. This is the first of many court cases. Cardiff’s argument is that Nantes and McKay sorted out his travel so they shouldn’t be liable. It’s a tricky one. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Monkey found guilty, organ-grinder just wondering which of the two clubs will be “found liable” to pay his juicy fee. Disgusting. Revolting.
  • Options
    I've not followed the thread for a while but does this mean that it wasn't the pilot's fault? If so his family have been through hell.
  • Options
    I've not followed the thread for a while but does this mean that it wasn't the pilot's fault? If so his family have been through hell.
    Sadly it looks like there were a lot of people at fault here but not all of them will face any punishment.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pretty sure the pilot's been punished.

Wasn't there a problem with the planes maintenance and it was suspected Carbon Monoxide poisoning of the pilot?
  • Options
    Monkey found guilty, organ-grinder just womdering which of the two clubs will be “found liable” to pay his juicy fee. Disgusting. Revolting.
    Just because at least one of the clubs has some responsibility, doesn't mean this guy isn't actually guilty. 

Yes someone somewhere decided to hire an unsafe, cost-cutting flight operator but its still this guy who RAN an unsafe cost-cutting outfit, which directly lead to the crash.

He's no innocent patsy here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Monkey found guilty, organ-grinder just womdering which of the two clubs will be “found liable” to pay his juicy fee. Disgusting. Revolting.
    Just because at least one of the clubs has some responsibility, doesn't mean this guy isn't actually guilty. 

Yes someone somewhere decided to hire an unsafe, cost-cutting flight operator but its still this guy who RAN an unsafe cost-cutting outfit, which directly lead to the crash.

I was referring to Willie McKay. He had a duty of care towards Sala. And there is no way this would have been the first time McKay had to organise a private flight of this kind.
  • Options
    Maybe he'd used the same person to organise a flight before but this is the first to go wrong.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    thenewbie said:

I was referring to Willie McKay. He had a duty of care towards Sala. And there is no way this would have been the first time McKay had to organise a private flight of this kind.
    My mistake then, sorry. I completely agree that McKay needs holding to account as well. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

My mistake then, sorry. I completely agree that McKay needs holding to account as well. 
    Surely Cardiff should be the one organising flights etc. They want to buy the player therefore they should be paying the cost for it......especially as at the time he had signed for them & was their player. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

Surely Cardiff should be the one organising flights etc. They want to buy the player therefore they should be paying the cost for it......especially as at the time he had signed for them & was their player. 
    Shortly after the crash the Cardiff chairman Dalman said:

"I can say to you categorically that the plane had nothing to do with Cardiff City.

"We were not involved in booking the plane. In fact, we are trying to ascertain ourselves exactly what did happen. The club is looking into the matter and we want to find answers too."

"We spoke to the player and asked him if he wanted us to make arrangements for his flight which, quite frankly, would have been commercial. I can't tell you who arranged the flight because I don't know at this stage."

So as harsh as it sounds, i can completely understand why Cardiff feel they shouldn't be paying the transfer fee. 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    You would have thought someone would have made looking after the fatted Calf a priority, and not penny pinch, its very cynical and callous.
  • Options
    David Henderson has been sentenced to eighteen months jail 
  • Options

The owner of the plane which crashed killing footballer Emiliano Sala has told his inquest she banned the pilot from flying it six months previously.

Fay Keely said she was "not confident" of David Ibbotson's abilities or his "care of" the plane.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60490643

• Options

A jury has found footballer Emiliano Sala died after being overcome by toxic fumes before the plane he was flying in crashed into the English Channel.

Sala and pilot David Ibbotson died in the crash in 2019.

The 28-year-old had been flying to Wales from France to join Cardiff City from Nantes.

David Henderson, who arranged the flight, was given an 18-month prison sentence for aviation offences relating to arranging the flight.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60767283

• Options
    Chizz said:
    David Henderson has been sentenced to eighteen months jail 
    36 months now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cardiff City have lost their appeal against a ruling by Fifa to pay the first instalment of Emiliano Sala's £15m transfer fee to Nantes.

Argentine striker Sala died in a plane crash over the English channel in January 2019 while travelling from France to join his new club.

A three-man panel at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) heard the appeal in Lausanne earlier this year.

Cardiff must now pay the first instalment of £5.3m to Nantes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62687480

• Options
    This will likely result in Cardiff paying Nantes, Cardiff claiming the bulk of the balance from insurers, who will then sue those found guilty of offences, but who are unlikely to be able to pay.
  • Options
    This will likely result in Cardiff paying Nantes, Cardiff claiming the bulk of the balance from insurers, who will then sue those found guilty of offences, but who are unlikely to be able to pay.
    I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Cardiff hadn't got around to sorting insurance yet, and that was half the reason for them trying other ways to weasel out of paying Nantes.
  • Options
    That's not a small amount for a Championship club.
  • Options
    Won’t any insurance be void anyway due to the dodgy pilot and plane?
  • Options
    Won’t any insurance be void anyway due to the dodgy pilot and plane?
    Depends on the ts and cs of the  policy. 

Any sensible aviation insurer would accept the risk based on the plane being up to scratch and the pilot having enough experience - if someone has not told the truth along the way then chances are that the insurers won’t pay out.
  • Options
    Thought Cardiff were now taking it to a higher court to win their appeal.
  • Options
    Does this mean Cardiff only have to pay the first installment or that that they have to pay the first installment now and then the others later?

Wouldn't the whole amount be due by now?

• Options
    Does this mean Cardiff only have to pay the first installment or that that they have to pay the first installment now and then the others later?

Wouldn't the whole amount be due by now?

Maybe the original court case was brought after the first installment was missed so it's just about that one for now?

Though I agree you'd think they'd have roped it into the whole thing later.