Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham Festival 2019

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Why did he run after that? Gross negligence.
    What a stupid comment. 
    Go on then. Why was it a stupid comment? Horse clearly was not race ready yet they ran him anyway.

I'm not sure that can be said with such certainty. It is not rare for horses to be re-shod at the start after spreading a plate and I'm not aware of any known risk. Horses can sleep standing up by locking three legs and lifting or relaxing the other, taking all the weight off. 

The horse may simply have jarred his leg in a divot - it happens (thankfully rarely), and it may well have just been a coincidence.

Of course it could be a coincidence and perhaps my initial reaction was a touch too emotional but I’m desperate for way to make this sport safer.

When I see something that may be a contributing factor, it’s only natural to want it investigated.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    bobmunro said:

I didn't watch the race - what happened? I heard he spread a plate going down and I'm assuming a vet checked him over?
    lost a shoe going down to the start .. stood calmly while reshod .. was checked over by a vet but a VERY perfunctory check .. horse broke down after about 1/2  mile with a broken leg .. Jockey Club official (I think) surmised that a horse standing for a long time on 3 legs might have weakened the one that broke .. 
    horse was bred for the flat, perhaps not sturdy enough for NH (my opinion) ..
    I thought his comments about the need to not have horses on 3 legs for a long time were in response to "why does a horse with a broken leg need to be put down"
  • Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    In all that I forgot to put up picks for the day...

Pics D’Orhy win
    Hannon e/w

Mr Adjudicator e/w
    Countister e/w
    Pingshou e/w

Birchdale win
    Allaho win
    Cap York e/w
    Minela Indo e/w

Presenting Percy win
    Kemboy e/w
    Thistlecrack e/w

Top Wood e/w
    Pacha Du Polder e/w

Not Another Muddle win
    Magic Saint win
    Bun Dorian e/w

Dallas Des Pictons win
    Early Doors win
    Coolanly e/w
    Minela Indo at 50/1. Genius or dumb luck..?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    What a stupid comment. 
    Go on then. Why was it a stupid comment? Horse clearly was not race ready yet they ran him anyway.

I'm not sure that can be said with such certainty. It is not rare for horses to be re-shod at the start after spreading a plate and I'm not aware of any known risk. Horses can sleep standing up by locking three legs and lifting or relaxing the other, taking all the weight off. 

The horse may simply have jarred his leg in a divot - it happens (thankfully rarely), and it may well have just been a coincidence.

Of course it could be a coincidence and perhaps my initial reaction was a touch too emotional but I’m desperate for way to make this sport safer.

When I see something that may be a contributing factor, it’s only natural to want it investigated.

Totally understandable - we all want to make the sport safer, but I'm not sure this is a safety issue.

Horses naturally run and accidents will happen when they do. This was a breakdown on the flat, so not a fall, and as such there is very little that can be done to mitigate that particular risk.

Still very sad of course.

• Options
    Well done for getting that Callum.
  • Options
    Skybet absolute tossers, had 20 on the winner, assumed it was BOG as it has been all week for the first race. Took their crap 14/1 earlier even though everyone else was offering 20s, so assumed I will be getting the betters odds. Another bookmaker to scrap off the list.
  • Options
    That is very poor from SkyBet. Seeing people in the same boat on Twitter.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Skybet absolute tossers, had 20 on the winner, assumed it was BOG as it has been all week for the first race. Took their crap 14/1 earlier even though everyone else was offering 20s, so assumed I will be getting the betters odds. Another bookmaker to scrap off the list.

I couldn't disagree with that description :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:
    It hasn't been BOG all week. Only Tuesday. 
  • Options
    Kemboy going at the first rather sums up the beginning of my tipping career.
  • Options
    Yes!!
  • Options
    Happy days!
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Happy days!
    What a day you've had!
  • Options
    It did say in capital letters on the race details that it wasn't BOG. Agree its still poor form to change it from previous days.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    That's wrong, I got paid BOG on Defi Du Seuil yesterday. 
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Happy days!

well played
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Kemboy going at the first rather sums up the beginning of my tipping career.

It takes balls to put them up @PaddyP17 - win some, lose some - and your write-ups every day have been brilliant reading.
    Cheers mate.

• Options
    Actually backed Al Boum Photo twice as also used as free bet on 365 as well 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Little nibble on Southfield Theatre (EW) in the 4.10
  • Options
    Don't generally take much interest in the Foxhunters but if Ucello Conti wins I'll have a treble up of around 800-1 so i think i might watch.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Don't generally take much interest in the Foxhunters but if Ucello Conti wins I'll have a treble up of around 800-1 so i think i might watch.
    good luck
  • Options
    Road to Rome for a great day.......
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    It was yesterday had 20 at 5/2 and got paid out 3/1
  • Options
    Kemboy can do one.
    Now backed it twice and hasn’t got over 1 fence.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

Has a decent shout. Good luck. 
  • Options
    Road to Rome or Shantou flyer for a day to remember
  • Options
    Road to Rome sums up my festival. Had him each way, fights to the end, comes 4th.
  • Options
    I’ll take Top Wood 3rd.