Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie signs new contract (to 2021)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Top man George, now start him Bowyer.
  • Options
    Very good news
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I’d have him starting most games now.

His finishing is terrible but his running and drive in the middle make us look a much better side I think.
    The Poyet/Cousins/Aribo affect.

I'd have our central two as one of
    JFC/Cullen/Bielik alongside one of 
    Lapslie/Aribo/any other engine roomer. 
    Aribo is not an engine roomer. Probably our most skillful player.
    He's constantly working hard between defence and attack... Also known as an Engine Roomer. Doesn't take away from his skill.

He's certainly not our most skilful player though. There's a small handful ahead of him. 
    Such as?
    Cullen, Forster Caskey, Taylor & Sarr are all more skilful even if they don't show it week in, week out. Neither does Aribo.

Even Fosu is more skilful, but he really doesn't have any consistency about it with his lack of footballing brain

Aribo is tricky and hard working, he has what I call gadget legs. His passing is sometimes limited, but he's willing to try things out.

He has more of a footballing brain than most of our recent young midfielders.
    Seriously ? You think Cullen, JFC, Taylor & Sarr are more skillfull than Aribo ?
    They have other attributes that may be better, but they are not more skillfull.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I’d have him starting most games now.

His finishing is terrible but his running and drive in the middle make us look a much better side I think.
    The Poyet/Cousins/Aribo affect.

I'd have our central two as one of
    JFC/Cullen/Bielik alongside one of 
    Lapslie/Aribo/any other engine roomer. 
    Aribo is not an engine roomer. Probably our most skillful player.
    He's constantly working hard between defence and attack... Also known as an Engine Roomer. Doesn't take away from his skill.

He's certainly not our most skilful player though. There's a small handful ahead of him. 
    Such as?
    Cullen, Forster Caskey, Taylor & Sarr are all more skilful even if they don't show it week in, week out. Neither does Aribo.

Even Fosu is more skilful, but he really doesn't have any consistency about it with his lack of footballing brain

Aribo is tricky and hard working, he has what I call gadget legs. His passing is sometimes limited, but he's willing to try things out.

He has more of a footballing brain than most of our recent young midfielders.
    Seriously ? You think Cullen, JFC, Taylor & Sarr are more skillfull than Aribo ?
    They have other attributes that may be better, but they are not more skillfull.
    Agree although not about JFC
  • Options
    Fair enough, I'l call them equal :smile:
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Ross said:
    1 down, about 10 to go!
    Of the rest of the players, Aribo is the one we really need to tie down.

JFC - I'm sure he will sign something, I can't imagine him wanting to go into next season having to prove himself on trial to a new club after the injury
    Reeves - not bothered if he signs or not. Happy to keep him, but I'm sure we can find someone similar for his wages
    Marshall - ditto
    Bauer - no chance of him staying unless we are promoted
    Igor - would need to accept a major pay cut
    Fosu - if him and Bowyer have fallen out, then  I can't see him staying. 
    Williams - I imagine he'll want a Championship club for next season
    Ajose - on his way
    Reeco - not bothered
    Parker - not bothered
    AMB - not bothered

Didn’t Bauer rule out staying after his contract expires at the start of the season? 
    Yes he did.
    But if we were to get promotion this season he may change his mind if he is happy here.

Not sure about this. I think he has made his mind up that enough is enough. 
  • Options
    Excellent news, was always confident Lapslie would stay he's one of the few out of contract players i'm pleased we've tied down. He's come on nicely since the start of the season, seen plenty of action, improved and not been over-relied upon. Can definitely see him nailing down a regular first team place possibly next season if we don't go up.

Just need to get Aribo signed up now, killerandflash pretty much nailed it with the other players out of contract.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Ross said:
    1 down, about 10 to go!

JFC - I'm sure he will sign something, I can't imagine him wanting to go into next season having to prove himself on trial to a new club after the injury
    Reeves - not bothered if he signs or not. Happy to keep him, but I'm sure we can find someone similar for his wages
    Marshall - ditto
    Ajose - on his way
    Reeco - not bothered
    Parker - not bothered
    AMB - not bothered

Didn’t Bauer rule out staying after his contract expires at the start of the season? 
    Yes he did.
    But if we were to get promotion this season he may change his mind if he is happy here.

Not sure about this. I think he has made his mind up that enough is enough. 
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, I don't get the impression that he's that unhappy. IF we were promoted and had a new owner, I could see him staying
  • Options
    Ross said:
    1 down, about 10 to go!

Marshall - ditto
    Ajose - on his way
    Reeco - not bothered
    Parker - not bothered
    AMB - not bothered
    Pretty much exactly what I think too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice having a Charlton lad in and around the squad, especially one with so much enthusiasm and drive. He seems to have the right attitude to make it in the game and I hope he goes on to become an established part of our Championship winning team next season.

would like to see Aribo, Bauer, JFC, Williams and Fosu signed up (probably in that order) with extensions for the likes of Sarr and Taylor so they are not walking into the last year of their contracts in the summer.
  • Options
    Surprised people are writing off AMB before ever seeing him play.  That lad has a lot of potential
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Ross said:
    1 down, about 10 to go!

Marshall - ditto
    Ajose - on his way
    Reeco - not bothered
    Parker - not bothered
    AMB - not bothered

Yes he did.

So it's farewell to the BFG then.
  • Options
    Lapslie has a good attitude and bags of effort but I'm still not convinced how effective he is - reminds me of Wagstaff.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Surprised people are writing off AMB before ever seeing him play.  That lad has a lot of potential
    Certainly wouldnt write him off yet either

He looked impressive in the SoccerAM training clips... He'd maybe be a good No.2 option himself if we didnt have Phillips who is still young and inexperienced
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    se9addick said:
    Ross said:
    1 down, about 10 to go!

Marshall - ditto
    Ajose - on his way
    Reeco - not bothered
    Parker - not bothered
    AMB - not bothered

Yes he did.

So it's farewell to the BFG then.
    Unfortunately unless we start winning soon then yes.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Certainly wouldnt write him off yet either

He looked impressive in the SoccerAM training clips... He'd maybe be a good No.2 option himself if we didnt have Phillips who is still young and inexperienced
    Phillips is nearly 24 so hardly young and he seems well up to L1 standard - at some stage the constant doubting will have to stop.
  • Options

A good interview with George in The South London Press

Can Lapslie see himself as a one-club man for his career? Solly is in his testimonial season. It is a rarity in the modern game.

“It’s definitely a possibility,” he said. “As I am now, I’ve got no aspiration to leave.

“I feel like I want to give back to the club. I owe the club a lot for who I am. I wouldn’t jump ship at the current time.

“I want to work hard so that it is not necessary to move to a bigger club, I can get Charlton back up to that position.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charltons-george-lapslie-on-going-for-a-degree-why-his-chelmsford-loan-setback-could-be-used-as-a-plus-and-still-being-in-awe-of-johnnie-jackson-and-chris-solly/
  • Options
    He sounds so down to earth and willing to learn, and it's nice to have a player who genuinely wants to be here because he cares about the club. Just needs to improve his finishing and could be a very good player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    More good news.

Will be Charlton captain in the premier league
    Shouldn't that be in Roly's world....

"Will be an Ex Charlton captain/player in the premier league"...
  • Options
    So who do we have who's definitely here next season (unless sold).

Phillips, Solly, Pearce, Sarr, Lapslie, Pratley and Taylor. Anyone else?
  • Options

Roland unfortunately 
  • Options

Lewis Page will still be here to keep the Physios in a job
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    clive said:

Can Lapslie see himself as a one-club man for his career? Solly is in his testimonial season. It is a rarity in the modern game.

“It’s definitely a possibility,” he said. “As I am now, I’ve got no aspiration to leave.

“I feel like I want to give back to the club. I owe the club a lot for who I am. I wouldn’t jump ship at the current time.

“I want to work hard so that it is not necessary to move to a bigger club, I can get Charlton back up to that position.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charltons-george-lapslie-on-going-for-a-degree-why-his-chelmsford-loan-setback-could-be-used-as-a-plus-and-still-being-in-awe-of-johnnie-jackson-and-chris-solly/
    Sounds a very grounded young man... Find it interesting his take on his time @ Chelmsford as one of their fans came on here saying he was injured the whole time

Certainly good to hear that he's almost mixing his degree with helping the U23s

Am wary of his words about wanting to be a one club man with us though and think all young footballers should refrain from those words - Of course he can always fall back saying that he said it was only ever a possibility that he'd remain with Charlton for his career but fans wont remember that line and will hold it against him if ever he leaves for his own progression
  • Options
    clive said:

Sounds a very grounded young man... Find it interesting his take on his time @ Chelmsford as one of their fans came on here saying he was injured the whole time

Am wary of his words about wanting to be a one club man with us though and think all young footballers should refrain from those words - Of course he can always fall back saying that he said it was only ever a possibility that he'd remain with Charlton for his career but fans wont remember that line and will hold it against him if ever he leaves for his own progression
    And it can work the other way too, if the club doesn’t want you there. I’m sure Waggy would have wanted to stay with us a lot longer for example 
  • Options
    clive said:

And it can work the other way too, if the club doesn’t want you there. I’m sure Waggy would have wanted to stay with us a lot longer for example 
    Very true in that respect
  • Options
    Great interview and sounds a proper fan as well with comments like 
    “I look up to Jacko a lot,” he said. “I’m still a bit in awe of training with Jacko and people like Sols [Chris Solly]. Jacko is probably my biggest role model. 

Another great comment

“I try not to think about captaining the senior side because it is something I really want,” said Lapslie.

Seems very smart as well with the degee and getting food diaries from some under 23s for his dissertation