Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top Five Songs of....The Monkees

Comments

• Options
    Got a soft spot for “The girl I knew somewhere “ one of the first tracks they wrote and played on
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    And all of them did better versions. They were calculatedly and cynically manufactured in classic Hollywood fashion to appeal to teenie bobbers off the back of The Beatles massive success. Souless musical junk not found anywhere in serious record collections anywhere on the planet.

looks like you are in a minority of one on this

Not quite.

They made some decent catchy tracks that I'm happy to sing along to, and written by other very talented songwriters (not least Neil Diamond) but musically and creatively they were third division.

They were put together just for commercial television and marketed very well - cynically manufactured? - most definitely. The Pre-Fab Four eh?? 

They were manufactured but were great fun and at the time we really didn't care.

Have to disagree with the "musically.......third division". For a start they all played their own instruments and didn't mime (unlike a lot of so called boy bands).

Yes the majority of songs were written by the likes of Diamond, Goffin and King etc etc but this was very much the norm at the time. Some were, however, actually penned by the group though - Circle Sky, Daily Nightly, The Girl I Knew Somewhere, Goin' Down, Good Clean Fun, Mary Mary and Randy Scouse Git to name but a few.
  • Options
    Pop shmultz but a few enjoyable tunes in the lists above
  • Options
    Are some on here deluded by thinking/stating that the Beatles were a rip off of the Monkees ? ... Read this from wiki .. 
    (Micky) Dolenz described The Monkees as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band... that wanted to be the Beatles that was never successful". UNQUOTE ..

A manufactured band wearing Beatle-like hair cuts and clothing, the group even included a cute little northerner to add an 'authentic' north of England twang to the band's spiel
    The Monkees were a pleasant little jingle band who enjoyed great success and popularity in the late 1960s/early 70s .. however, to compare their talent, lasting legacy and musical ability to the Beatles is ridiculous. 
    The Beatles initial great talent and popularity was honed and polished by Brian Epstein and George Martin, so to some extent, like all great bands, the Beatles were 'manufactured. But, they existed as a live and vibrant group before being 'discovered' by commercially minded music impresarios and 'put on the mass market'. 
    The Monkees were 'manufactured' simply to exploit the Beatles already great talent and popularity. For a while this commercial exploitation was extremely successful 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    And all of them did better versions. They were calculatedly and cynically manufactured in classic Hollywood fashion to appeal to teenie bobbers off the back of The Beatles massive success. Souless musical junk not found anywhere in serious record collections anywhere on the planet.

Not quite.

They made some decent catchy tracks that I'm happy to sing along to, and written by other very talented songwriters (not least Neil Diamond) but musically and creatively they were third division.

They were put together just for commercial television and marketed very well - cynically manufactured? - most definitely. The Pre-Fab Four eh?? 

No, that was The Rutles.
  • Options
    Pop shmultz but a few enjoyable tunes in the lists above

Pretty much what I said, but you sum it up far more succinctly!
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    bobmunro said:

Not quite.

No, that was The Rutles.
    Another band that got ripped off by the Beatles
  • Options
    Music to me shouldn't, necessarily, be deep and meaningful for one to enjoy it. And that's coming from someone who is a musician, albeit at a very amateur level.

Ask any female teenager in the mid 70s who their favourite band was and I will lay anyone a bet that more will say the Bay City Rollers than Pink Floyd! I'm not female but I'm as happy to listen to "Bye Bye Baby" as I am "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - it just depends on what mood I'm in. 
  • Options
    Music to me shouldn't, necessarily, be deep and meaningful for one to enjoy it. And that's coming from someone who is a musician, albeit at a very amateur level.

Ask any female teenager in the mid 70s who their favourite band was and I will lay anyone a bet that more will say the Bay City Rollers than Pink Floyd! I'm not female but I'm as happy to listen to "Bye Bye Baby" as I am "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - it just depends on what mood I'm in. 

Wouldn't disagree with any of that - and I'll singalong to Bye Bye Baby as well!

I enjoy listening to some of The Monkees stuff, but it's when their work is critically acclaimed from a musical perspective that leaves me raising my eyebrows.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Wouldn't disagree with any of that - and I'll singalong to Bye Bye Baby as well!

I enjoy listening to some of The Monkees stuff, but it's when their work is critically acclaimed from a musical perspective that leaves me raising my eyebrows.

I think it's more that someone like Carole King isn't as widely recgonised as she should be - I started a thread about her a couple of years ago on here - and it is the elevation of a band like the Monkees who, as I say weren't forerunners in music but competent nevertheless, against her relative anonymity where there is, perhaps, an issue.

When King eventually passes on, there will no doubt be a compilation of all the songs not just performed but also written by her that will be a massive seller - and we will hear these words said by many (not least my wife) "I never knew she wrote that!". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    There's no arguing that the Monkees were a manufactured band but that ignores the fact that they were also decent musicians before that. It also didn't help that, for television purposes, they were all given roles in the band that didn't match their musical talents. Jones was the only decent drummer but the TV guys wanted him up front so they got Dolenz, who was a guitarist, to pretend to drum, despite being lead vocalist on many tracks. Nesmith was a trained bassist but ended up on guitar whilst Tork, who was a better guitar player, ended up on bass. Still, they sold a shedload of records and I bet pretty much everyone on here still know a lot of their songs 40+ years after they were released.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Last Train to Clarksville .ear worm in full blast and as CAFC peeps it has to be highly rated
  • Options
    Last Train to Clarksville .ear worm in full blast and as CAFC peeps it has to be highly rated

Ear worm? Oh no, no, no!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    There's no arguing that the Monkees were a manufactured band but that ignores the fact that they were also decent musicians before that. It also didn't help that, for television purposes, they were all given roles in the band that didn't match their musical talents. Jones was the only decent drummer but the TV guys wanted him up front so they got Dolenz, who was a guitarist, to pretend to drum, despite being lead vocalist on many tracks. Nesmith was a trained bassist but ended up on guitar whilst Tork, who was a better guitar player, ended up on bass. Still, they sold a shedload of records and I bet pretty much everyone on here still know a lot of their songs 40+ years after they were released.

So they were like The Beatles then.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

Just more talented
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

Just more talented

I get it now.

I'll be deleting a lot of my superfluous music collection over the weekend and replacing it with the complete works of The Monkees. Where did I go wrong?

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

A bit different - Ringo couldn't play the guitar!

I think the repeated gag about him not even being the best drummer in the the Beatles was just that too. Probably more a poor dig at drummers not being musicians than anything else.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

A bit different - Ringo couldn't play the guitar!

I think the repeated gag about him not even being the best drummer in the the Beatles was just that too. Probably more a poor dig at drummers not being musicians than anything else.

Ringo made a significant and often overlooked/underplayed contribution to the unmistakable Beatles sound.  I joke of course, I'm really a big fan. Not in the same league as Moon or Bonzo but then wasn't trying to sound like them either.  
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

Just more talented

I get it now.

I'll be deleting a lot of my superfluous music collection over the weekend and replacing it with the complete works of The Monkees. Where did I go wrong?

You can listen to the Monkees and the Beatles.

Just about any music is ok (other than Q***n and J**z
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

Just more talented

I get it now.

I'll delete all my Q***n stuff then - no need to worry about deleting any j**z.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rizzo said:

Just more talented

I get it now.

I'll delete all my Q***n stuff then - no need to worry about deleting any j**z.
    You'll feel better for it
  • Options
    I remember Davy Jones playing for Charlton in Killers testimonial at Welling. Don't remember any Beatles playing so they must be the better band.
  • Options
    I remember Davy Jones playing for Charlton in Killers testimonial at Welling. Don't remember any Beatles playing so they must be the better band.
    QED

Although that McCartney chap did knock up a tune for the charity song Valley Floyd Road to go with my words so he's not a bad chap.
  • Options
    QED

Although that McCartney chap did knock up a tune for the charity song Valley Floyd Road to go with my words so he's not a bad chap.

There was a claim that Macca plagiarised VFR from an earlier Micky Dolenz composition. Never proven - just sayin!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    QED

There was a claim that Macca plagiarised VFR from an earlier Micky Dolenz composition. Never proven - just sayin!
    Never heard that before but wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    I thought McCartney nicked it off Forest? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    They were utter crap of the first order. Manufactured garbage who no one at the time or since took seriously.....put them up there with The Wombles and Tiny Tim!
    Ok then, you tell me when the likes of Robert Wyatt, REM, U2, Carter, Coldplay, Smash Mouth, Minor Threat, Weezer, The Wedding Present, Floyd Cramer, George Benson and The Sex Pistols start doing Wombles covers.  Nobody takes The Monkees seriously - pah! 
    Really ? Never knew, which track did the Wedding Present cover ?
  • Options
    Are some on here deluded by thinking/stating that the Beatles were a rip off of the Monkees ? ... Read this from wiki .. 
    (Micky) Dolenz described The Monkees as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band... that wanted to be the Beatles that was never successful". UNQUOTE ..

A manufactured band wearing Beatle-like hair cuts and clothing, the group even included a cute little northerner to add an 'authentic' north of England twang to the band's spiel
    The Monkees were a pleasant little jingle band who enjoyed great success and popularity in the late 1960s/early 70s .. however, to compare their talent, lasting legacy and musical ability to the Beatles is ridiculous. 
    The Beatles initial great talent and popularity was honed and polished by Brian Epstein and George Martin, so to some extent, like all great bands, the Beatles were 'manufactured. But, they existed as a live and vibrant group before being 'discovered' by commercially minded music impresarios and 'put on the mass market'. 
    The Monkees were 'manufactured' simply to exploit the Beatles already great talent and popularity. For a while this commercial exploitation was extremely successful 

as I argue with my brothers music is subjective and whilst I'd say that The Beatles are the most over rated band ever I doubt they'd agree with me that Eminen is a genius. Each to their own.
  • Options
    Halix said:
    Master musicians all, especially Davy Jones who could bang a mean tamborine whilst wiggling his arse. Mind you without him we would have had no David Bowie. 
    I got the reference @Halix even if few others did!