Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top Five Songs of....The Monkees

13»

Comments

• Options
    Are some on here deluded by thinking/stating that the Beatles were a rip off of the Monkees ? ... Read this from wiki .. 
    (Micky) Dolenz described The Monkees as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band... that wanted to be the Beatles that was never successful". UNQUOTE ..

A manufactured band wearing Beatle-like hair cuts and clothing, the group even included a cute little northerner to add an 'authentic' north of England twang to the band's spiel
    The Monkees were a pleasant little jingle band who enjoyed great success and popularity in the late 1960s/early 70s .. however, to compare their talent, lasting legacy and musical ability to the Beatles is ridiculous. 
    The Beatles initial great talent and popularity was honed and polished by Brian Epstein and George Martin, so to some extent, like all great bands, the Beatles were 'manufactured. But, they existed as a live and vibrant group before being 'discovered' by commercially minded music impresarios and 'put on the mass market'. 
    The Monkees were 'manufactured' simply to exploit the Beatles already great talent and popularity. For a while this commercial exploitation was extremely successful 

as I argue with my brothers music is subjective and whilst I'd say that The Beatles are the most over rated band ever I doubt they'd agree with me that Eminen is a genius. Each to their own.
    May I ask how old you are?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Halix said:
    Master musicians all, especially Davy Jones who could bang a mean tamborine whilst wiggling his arse. Mind you without him we would have had no David Bowie. 
    I got the reference @Halix even if few others did!
    Bless you my child!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    By late '66/ early '67 the Beatles have moved way beyond such as She Loves You and A Hard Days Night and were taking popular music into uncharted territory and  their audience with them.
    Meanwhile the emerging teenyboppers needed something a bit less demanding than Tomorrow Never Knows or I am the Walrus.
    Shrewd  move by the TV people in the States, using A Hard Days Night as their template and engaging some of the best songwriters of the day.
    Manufactured then? Well yes to an extent, but it would never have worked without talent and a bunch of cracking songs.
    And for the musical snobs who pour scorn, I for one would much rather listen to the 3 minutes of psychedelic pop confection that is Alternate Title than for example, the colourless boredom of listening to Jimmy Page fannying around with a violin bow on his guitar for 20 minutes.
    (And I consider myself Zep fan)
    (Not authentic, obviously :-))
  • Options
    1. Daydream Believer - was given this for my birthday in '67
    2. Alternate Title
    3. Pleasant Valley Sunday
    4. I'm a Believer
    5. Listen to the Band.

Honourable runner-up ( a real curve ball) - Tapioca Tundra (give it a listen)
  • Options
    Daydream Believer - used to tell my school mates that Davy was singing it "cheer up sleepy Jean" just for me.
    Cuddly Toy
    It's not too late - written by Davy for their anniversary album
    Shades of Grey
    Pleasant Valley Sunday
  • Options
    Stig said:
    They were utter crap of the first order. Manufactured garbage who no one at the time or since took seriously.....put them up there with The Wombles and Tiny Tim!
    Ok then, you tell me when the likes of Robert Wyatt, REM, U2, Carter, Coldplay, Smash Mouth, Minor Threat, Weezer, The Wedding Present, Floyd Cramer, George Benson and The Sex Pistols start doing Wombles covers.  Nobody takes The Monkees seriously - pah! 
    Really ? Never knew, which track did the Wedding Present cover ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfrXzQYcRnc
  • Options
    I read yesterday (in P Tork's obituary) that Stephen Stills failed an audition to be a Monkee .. their loss was Buffalo Springfield's and CSN's gain
  • Options
    I read yesterday (in P Tork's obituary) that Stephen Stills failed an audition to be a Monkee .. their loss was Buffalo Springfield's and CSN's gain
    As did (groan) Charles Manson.
  • Options
    Halix said:
    As did (groan) Charles Manson.
    really? .. that's interesting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stills and Tork were mates I believe and I think both Texan.
    Micky Dolenz was also part of the coterie of talent that based themselves in Laurel Canyon around 67/68,
    CSN,Joni, Zappa, Van Dyke Parks etc
  • Options
    Stig said:
    They were utter crap of the first order. Manufactured garbage who no one at the time or since took seriously.....put them up there with The Wombles and Tiny Tim!
    Ok then, you tell me when the likes of Robert Wyatt, REM, U2, Carter, Coldplay, Smash Mouth, Minor Threat, Weezer, The Wedding Present, Floyd Cramer, George Benson and The Sex Pistols start doing Wombles covers.  Nobody takes The Monkees seriously - pah! 
    Really ? Never knew, which track did the Wedding Present cover ?
    Pleasant Valley Sunday

made a decent fist of it too
  • Options
    Have we had a thread about train songs yet?