Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby or Lyle

Comments

• Options
    Not long now before details of this season's POTY dinner will be publicised so watch this space....
    "Wotcha"

• Options
    I think if there was a betting market on this Naby would be favourite. 
    Lyle, I think, is the better player, has played better over the season, but, is likely to get booked sooner or later and miss 2 more games. If Naby keeps on the way he is going it is his. We have to hope they both keep playing well and give us a hard decision at the end of the season
  • Options
    Sarr is the better player by miles (imagine either in the Premiership) but a firing striker is more important than a firing defender for us right now 
  • Options
    Naby, and I want him on my table :smiley:
  • Options
    If Naby keeps playing like this then he has to win.
  • Options
    Taylor, it's called POTY because you're judging on the season.

If we're judging on the last 10 games it would be Sarr, but we're not.

Maybe we should vote for Vetokele because he's been our best player over the last 5 minutes :smile:
  • Options
    Taylor ahead for me, but Naby is catching him.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Maybe we should vote for Vetokele because he's been our best player over the last 5 minutes :smile:

Diego Poyet won, when he played 20 games in the last few months of the season.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Diego Poyet won, when he played 20 games in the last few months of the season.
    Exactly... He shouldnt have won; Lawrie Wilson was hands down our best player that season

To be fair though from the below games that Naby has played this season can we really say he's made a mistake or been a liability in any one of them other than the Wimbledon game?

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=68405
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On thing that strikes me about Naby is that he can look awkward, but even before this great run in the side, if you actually compare him to Bauer and Pearce, he hasn't made more bad mistakes than them. It is just people feel he is about to make one! I like him because he doesn't hide and you notice how the team use him to get attacks going. He may not get every pass right, but all of his passes have positive intent.
    Last proper Sarr mistake I remember is the great air kick he performed against Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship when we won 3-1 (?)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I am a great believer in assessing football with your eyes and with statistics.  Sometimes statistics tell you something that contradicts what you see. I was making this case about Sarr when he was not in the side.

Another example of this is Purrington. We are definitely stronger defensively since he joined us, but his performances may not have blown anybody away.
  • Options
    On thing that strikes me about Naby is that he can look awkward, but even before this great run in the side, if you actually compare him to Bauer and Pearce, he hasn't made more bad mistakes than them. It is just people feel he is about to make one! I like him because he doesn't hide and you notice how the team use him to get attacks going. He may not get every pass right, but all of his passes have positive intent.
    Last proper Sarr mistake I remember is the great air kick he performed against Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship when we won 3-1 (?)
    Got roasted by Eaves last season...although looking at it again, Kashi sort of took over shielding him and failed to stop him either, then JDS fell asleep for the cross. Sarr has shanked a few clearances though *shrug*
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Got roasted by Eaves last season...although looking at it again, Kashi sort of took over shielding him and failed to stop him either, then JDS fell asleep for the cross. Sarr has shanked a few clearances though *shrug*
    Mark of a proper Centre-Back
  • Options
    Not long now before details of this season's POTY dinner will be publicised so watch this space....
    "Wotcha"

Get thee behind me, Nightmeire ! 
  • Options
    And the tackle that got him sent off in the first minute?

Dont get me wrong, delighted he is coming good, I always thought there was a player there, but bloody hell, Lyle Taylor has been the reason why for a long time some of us dared to believe again, until Duchatelet put a stop to that sort of romantic nonsense.
  • Options
    And the tackle that got him sent off in the first minute?

Dont get me wrong, delighted he is coming good, I always thought there was a player there, but bloody hell, Lyle Taylor has been the reason why for a long time some of us dared to believe again, until Duchatelet put a stop to that sort of romantic nonsense.
    Yeah that Wimbledon error too... I mentioned that in the post before the quoted one, just didnt want to repeat myself :)
  • Options
    It seems we have a bad case of collective amnesia.
  • Options
    Id love Naby to get the win after all the past criticism. Cant have been easy to be the butt of all the jokes, so due to his sheer professionalism and determination, he gets my vote.
  • Options
    If Grant had stayed there would have been a campaign to make it a joint award this year for G&T. 

As it is I reckon Naby will win it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taylor dragged us through the early part of the season. Sarr has had a good few weeks  
  • Options
    I think his mistakes were exaggerated last season. 
  • Options
    Taylor dragged us through the early part of the season. Sarr has had a good few weeks  
    And in recent weeks Lyle's behaviour on the pitch has threatened to drag us back down again.

Sarr has been outstanding in the last few weeks, yet this has also coincided with a string of poor results. 

We'd be nowhere near the play-offs if not for Taylor, no way has Sarr's contribution come close to his IMO.

Craziness to suggest Sarr ahead of Taylor at this stage in my view but there are still many games left.
    And here's the problem of comparing defenders and strikers: scorers and creators of goals will always get more of the limelight than someone who "merely" defends. It's easy to see how many goals and assists Lyle has, as those stats are readily available, but how many goals has our giant centre-half saved with goal-line blocks/clearances, last-ditch challenges etc? I don't think @lancashire lad has those in his StatBank!

Saturday was our first win in six matches ("a string of poor results" - very true) but it's also true that we've only lost one game in nine played in 2019 with only five goals conceded and four clean sheets. The problem has been a lack of goals (only 10 goals scored, three of those in one game against Shrews, and three matches in the last five without a goal) which is hardly a stick with which to hit the defence and Naby.

Our string of poor recent results is everything to do with Lyle's indiscipline and Karlan's departure.

Just saying ...  ;)
  • Options
    Nabby has improved dramatically but without Taylors enthusiasm, goals and assists all season long wed be absolutely effing nowhere near 
  • Options
    Taylor.

Sarr’s really impressed recently, but the likes of Aribo, Grant, Bauer, Cullen and Bielik are also having good seasons. Does this run of form move him ahead of them?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Taylor.

Sarr’s really impressed recently, but the likes of Aribo, Grant, Bauer, Cullen and Bielik are also having good seasons. Does this run of form move him ahead of them?
    Sarr has been outstanding in a number of games and I can't say that for many of our players this season.

Taylor at his best has been almost unplayable but his attitude continues to be a problem.

Nobody has come close to the two of them for me. Bielik has looked very accomplished for me but his inexperience is still evident.

If we're reliant on grinding out results through resolute defending and nicking a goal then I imagine Naby would win. Given how much stick the lad used to get I'd love for him to win.

• Options
    I always think the most accurate barometer is our players marks over the season. Given you are basing it on a reasonable number of games played. I think that Taylor and Sarr are pretty close on that.
  • Options
    I always think the most accurate barometer is our players marks over the season. Given you are basing it on a reasonable number of games played. I think that Taylor and Sarr are pretty close on that.
    It can't be truly objective but at the present time I imagine most fans think Naby and Lyle deserve to be the main contenders.

• Options
    Over the course of the season, definitely Lyle.