Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rate your England Derbies

Comments

• Options
    Blackburn v burnley
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Lincoln grimsby
    The Leavers' Derby
  • Options
    Burnley v Blackburn should get a mention.
    Struggling to reject this one. Similar size towns and clubs with rich histories. History includes an abandoned game and repeated crowd trouble.

However, they sing ‘no nay never no more’ to each other, which is some weird ye olde English ditty to sing whilst slurping mead down the inn, and fairly sure both teams run out to the Hovis music. Can’t take them seriously, the nearest to a rivalry is which lot will enter the 20th century first. 

Rejected.
    Always assumed “no nay never” was some old Irish ditty. God knows why teams in Lancashire sing it.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Blackburn v burnley
    Great shout
  • Options
    Struggling to reject this one. Similar size towns and clubs with rich histories. History includes an abandoned game and repeated crowd trouble.

However, they sing ‘no nay never no more’ to each other, which is some weird ye olde English ditty to sing whilst slurping mead down the inn, and fairly sure both teams run out to the Hovis music. Can’t take them seriously, the nearest to a rivalry is which lot will enter the 20th century first. 

Rejected.
    Aren't Blackburn and Burnley the rivals that hold a funeral procession whenever the other mob get relegated?
  • Options
    Derby and forest is also worth a mention.
    Even size clubs with solid history, and a step up from the East Anglia nonsense, but one of their badge is a sheep and the other is a tree. More Countryfile with John Craven than football. Rejected. 
    Derby and Forest also play for the Brian Clough trophy every league game. How many other derbies play for a trophy twice a season?
  • Options

Rejected.
    Aren't Blackburn and Burnley the rivals that hold a funeral procession whenever the other mob get relegated?
    No wonder Shay Given left Blackburn after 2 games.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nothing phony about the “Old Farm Derby”. People get pretty pumped up for it out here.

nice to meet you yesterday, @Briston_Addick
  • Options
    Premier League derbies like Man United/Liverpool and Arsenal/Spurs are too diluted by plastic fans for me to be too interested in them. 

The best derbies are those that mean the most to the fans involved, which will often be those from the Championship and lower leagues.

I’ve been to Millwall v West Ham and haven’t experienced anything else quite like it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fast forwarding a couple of seasons. 
    Dulwich v Afc  Wimbledon in the
    Vanarama national south division. 
    Hopefully. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Blackburn v burnley
    Great shout
    Surprised no one else has mentioned it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    2nd city derby tops it I reckon.

One that's not yet been mentioned:

Blackpool v Preston

• Options
    Don't forget the two Bristols :wink:.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Imo Liverpool v Man United is the biggest, and best club game in world football. The hatred between the 2 cities goes back hundreds of years and has become embodied in the game between English footballs 2 most successful entities (Ryan Giggs is 3rd BTW).
    Liverpool v United can be an insanely boring match up football-wise these days. Arsenal v Spurs tends to have more goals regardless of where the teams are in the league. 
  • Options
    Hibs v Hearts was a bit lively when I went a few years back. I’ve been to three Celtic v Rangers and they are interesting.
  • Options
    Some may laugh but whenever York play Scarborough it always brings out a few who take their support to a more hostile level. I went to a couple in the 90s when I was younger and dafter and picked up my only arrest ever (it was a case of mistaken identity) when it went off in York city centre. They played each other in Scarborough last week in a the North Riding Cup and by all accounts there were skirmishes around the town from mid-afternoon onwards. 
  • Options
    Grew up in Swindon and their derby with Oxford was a really big deal in that part of the world with predictable amounts of pent up local aggro on display.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Don't forget the two Bristols :wink:.
    Can never be forgotten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Scotland
    Ireland
    Wales
    N. Ireland
  • Options
    To me the best Derbies have to be between 2 fairly evenly sized clubs, and where the level of passion is similar from both sides. Where one side is massively smaller or less successful than the other, then it tends to become too one way. Similarly if the "hatred" is mainly from one set of supporters

If nothing else, the rise of City has made the actual Manchester derby much more important to fans than it would have been 20 years ago, when  it was the big game for the City fans, but not the Utd fans whose club was at a much higher level

• Options
    Grew up in Swindon and their derby with Oxford was a really big deal in that part of the world with predictable amounts of pent up local aggro on display.
    Reading v Oxford is the derby for them?
  • Options
    Stoke v Port Vale raises pulses.
  • Options
    Reading v Oxford is the derby for them?
    Reading is a big rival for the other two as well but Swindon and Oxford have probably been at the same level more times and there's definitely more hatred between those two. 
  • Options
    Year 10 v Year 11
  • Options
    Rotherham v  Chesterfield, the miners derby.
  • Options
    Away from the obvious I would put this one up there, pure hatred
  • Options
    Me and my mates used to be sure to be at Highbury for the arse / spuds match 70/80' s Spurs totally took the piss taking the north bank, every game we went to. Remember Terry Naylor appluading that stand as his name was bellowed out.