Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rate your England Derbies

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Imo Liverpool v Man United is the biggest, and best club game in world football. The hatred between the 2 cities goes back hundreds of years and has become embodied in the game between English footballs 2 most successful entities (Ryan Giggs is 3rd BTW).

It's unique it that respect.  Most of the other big "derbies" are one city affairs split on race, class or religion.  El classico is more of an "International" fixture. 
    40 years ago maybe, but as a game I think it’s been diluted as a rivalry by the spread of support through the country (and indeed the world) those two attract. Very few at those games actual,y live in Manchester or Liverpool. Rejected.
    Sorry this is total nonsense and factually incorrect certainly as far as Liverpool are concerned. A huge majority of those attending live in or near Liverpool. In fact Liverpool even go so far as giving ticket priority to those with a Liverpool postcode. A lot of people on here don't like Liverpool but Liverpool go out of their way to ensure their local fan base stays predominant. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Imo Liverpool v Man United is the biggest, and best club game in world football. The hatred between the 2 cities goes back hundreds of years and has become embodied in the game between English footballs 2 most successful entities (Ryan Giggs is 3rd BTW).

It's unique it that respect.  Most of the other big "derbies" are one city affairs split on race, class or religion.  El classico is more of an "International" fixture. 
    40 years ago maybe, but as a game I think it’s been diluted as a rivalry by the spread of support through the country (and indeed the world) those two attract. Very few at those games actual,y live in Manchester or Liverpool. Rejected.
    Sorry this is total nonsense and factually incorrect certainly as far as Liverpool are concerned. A huge majority of those attending live in or near Liverpool. In fact Liverpool even go so far as giving ticket priority to those with a Liverpool postcode. A lot of people on here don't like Liverpool but Liverpool go out of their way to ensure their local fan base stays predominant. 
    Hmm, not so sure. My job takes me to Anfield most home match days with today being no exception. Anfield now resembles Old Trafford with the football tourism, there are thousands from all around the world long before kick off and long after the game has finished walking about taking photos of every brick and sign connected to the ground. Also, you'll see rows upon rows of coaches representing every corner of the UK parked up in and around stanley park. Not as bad as manure but Liverpool is heading that way. However, having said that, I would also say the fierce rivalry still exists, just the police have the crowds managed far better these days.  
  • Options
    Wolves v West Brom is quite tasty 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    redman said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Calm down @redman caaaalm down :-)
  • Options
    The Bristol derby was pretty manic when i used to live down there, mainly toothless simpletons swinging for each other
  • Options
    fog horn said:
    Wolves v West Brom is quite tasty 
    beat me to it  The black country derby
  • Options
    Derby and forest is also worth a mention.
    Even size clubs with solid history, and a step up from the East Anglia nonsense, but one of their badge is a sheep and the other is a tree. More Countryfile with John Craven than football. Rejected. 
    Maybe this is a whoosh (I’ve had a drink)  but this is a massive derby.
  • Options
    Glad weve debated it thoroughly and determined that my original list was accurate :-)
  • Options
    Glad weve debated it thoroughly and determined that my original list was accurate :-)
    You’re on the wind up boss.

Little tinker.
  • Options
    We should have a fellow Sunday drinkers club handshake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Millwall v West Ham. Think the rest fight for 2nd place. Literally 
    I think it’s a little bit fake and posturing to be honest. An element of playing up to it. No doubt these were the main London offs in the 70s and 80s, but I’ve never been convinced there’s real hatred there. In fact I think there’s probably a little bit of respect. Fact they don’t play each other regularly probably makes it feel more an event. 

Rejected.
    AFKA, have you ever been to a Millwall v W Ham game ?
    A little fake it is not.
    A little frightening and down right evil is how I would describe it.
  • Options
    Worlds oldest football derby. Hallam FC v's Sheffield FC when held at worlds oldest ground, Sandygate could get interesting even with a crowd of 150 or so. They compete each year for the season opening Sheffield Shield and the bragging rights. Went there as a kid to watch something on a Saturday afternoon as dad wasn't going to take me to Hillsborough or Bramhall Lane, unless Charlton were playing there.
  • Options
    MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon share a unique rivalry.

However, on reflection, not entirely unique. Millwall like to fight amongst themselves too. 

• Options
    HMP Wormwood Scubs screws V HMP Wandsworth inmates.
    Slade Prison versus Celebrities
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Lincoln grimsby
    Cabbage chuckers derby 
  • Options
    I have been to Millwall v West Ham and wolves v West Brom. Millwall v West Ham is not tame. As for our games v palace the hate always seemed one sided. But I don’t think that’s the case anymore. We must of got under their skin over the years. Us v Millwall is nowhere near to us v palace. That is mainly due to us always getting beat by them. I think if it was the other way round they would hate us more. Lol
  • Options

Blackpool - Preston. I like PNE's nickname for their rivals The Donkey Lashers

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I reject the rejection.  Weekend games dilute the atmosphere at both grounds due to "tourists" but their away fans make up for it.  Especially at Annfield where they have a proper away section.  I would love them to play each other in the champions league semi, 2 games, under lights. 
  • Options
    Nothing phony about the “Old Farm Derby”. People get pretty pumped up for it out here.

nice to meet you yesterday, @Briston_Addick
    It was nice to see you too, @Siv_in_Norfolk. Always nice to put a face to a Lifer!
  • Options
    The Black Country match between WBA and Wolves is one worth seeing but the one that surprises me a bit for their intense dislike of each other is Ipswich and Norwich
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Black Country match between WBA and Wolves is one worth seeing but the one that surprises me a bit for their intense dislike of each other is Ipswich and Norwich
    otherwise known as the old farm 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Hibs v Hearts was a bit lively when I went a few years back. I’ve been to three Celtic v Rangers and they are interesting.
    I wouldn't say either of those was a great English derby.
    I didn’t say it was an English derby. I was just posting off topic.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    clb74 said:
    Lincoln grimsby
    Cabbage chuckers derby Thats Lincoln Boston

• Options
    Gillingham v Swindon... What’s that all about. Evidently, it goes back to 1979

‘With the sides seeking promotion from Division Three, Swindon’s visit culminated in a fiery encounter. Gillingham scored two in the opening 25 minutes, only for Town to make it 2-2 before half time and take the draw. Gills fans were incensed when goalscorer Westwood was sent off for foul and abusive language, then later by the antics of Town defender Ray McHale, which culminated in a Gills fan running ont the pitch to punch and knock out the referee.

A few weeks later Gillingham visited the County Ground and McHale was centre of attention again after a tackle on him earned a red card. Then with Town 3-0 up Gills players turned on McHale for some retribution. The game eventually finished 3-1 and as the players returned to the dressing room, there was a fracas in the tunnel. Swindon coach Wilf Tranter was hospitalised with facial injuries after being punched. Two Gills players ended up in court over the incident, both were acquitted – and the season ended with both teams missing out on promotion – the Gills by a single point, which the Kent side blamed on Swindon.’

• Options
    Millwall v West Ham. Think the rest fight for 2nd place. Literally 
    I think it’s a little bit fake and posturing to be honest. An element of playing up to it. No doubt these were the main London offs in the 70s and 80s, but I’ve never been convinced there’s real hatred there. In fact I think there’s probably a little bit of respect. Fact they don’t play each other regularly probably makes it feel more an event. 

Rejected.
    AFKA, have you ever been to a Millwall v W Ham game ?
    A little fake it is not.
    A little frightening and down right evil is how I would describe it.
    Yeah, can confirm, the hatred is very real. 
  • Options
    None better than the Charlton/Portsmouth B657 v Millwall. 

Well tasty. 
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet v Dartford.
  • Options
    Too many Charlton fans going to scum v West Ham fixture , bizarre 
  • Options
    Blackpool v Fleetwood
  • Options
    Dartford v Gravesend and Northfleet.