Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When will UEFA take racism seriously?

Comments

• Options
    Actually, it is quite a pleasant summer holiday destination. I know a lot of Italians go there.
    Dont get him started on the eyeties ....
  • Options
    Actually, it is quite a pleasant summer holiday destination. I know a lot of Italians go there.
    Mussolini's grandchildren?
  • Options
    Probably more because it is very close - just across the Adriatic.
  • Options
    Juventus' teenage Italian striker Moise Kean (whose parents are Ivorian) was subject to racist abuse at Cagliari last night.

Quite remarkably after the game, both his manager Allegri and team mate Bonucci, said Kean should shoulder some of the blame for celebrating his late goal in front of the Cagliari fans. Seemingly ignoring the fact that he was abused during the game before he scored, and also the fact that Blase Matuidi suffered racist abuse in the same stadium last season.

Now i fully expect Cagliari to try to brush it under the carpet (their president said it was boo's not racist abuse) but if you can't even rely on your own manager or team mates to have your back, then what chance have players got of UEFA doing anything?

If i was Kean or his agent, i'd be wanting a meeting with the club today asking them to explain what the fuck they're doing not backing up a 19 year old kid.
  • Options
    Juventus' teenage Italian striker Moise Kean (whose parents are Ivorian) was subject to racist abuse at Cagliari last night.

Quite remarkably after the game, both his manager Allegri and team mate Bonucci, said Kean should shoulder some of the blame for celebrating his late goal in front of the Cagliari fans. Seemingly ignoring the fact that he was abused during the game before he scored, and also the fact that Blase Matuidi suffered racist abuse in the same stadium last season.

Now i fully expect Cagliari to try to brush it under the carpet (their president said it was boo's not racist abuse) but if you can't even rely on your own manager or team mates to have your back, then what chance have players got of UEFA doing anything?

If i was Kean or his agent, i'd be wanting a meeting with the club today asking them to explain what the fuck they're doing not backing up a 19 year old kid.
    What if they believe that he was just being booed for something he’d done?

should they go along with the accusations of racism if they don’t believe it was the case?
  • Options

should they go along with the accusations of racism if they don’t believe it was the case?
    Bonucci's quote - “There were racist jeers after the goal, Blaise heard it and was angered. I think the blame is 50-50, because Moise shouldn’t have celebrated like that"

Allegri - he shouldn't have celebrated in that manner, he's a young man and he has to learn, but certain things from the crowd also shouldn't be heard"

They clearly heard racist abuse.........but are partly blaming Kean. Incredible really.
  • Options
    Yep the temerity of these players to rudely score and then to celebrate , the abuse they get they deserve ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bonucci's quote - “There were racist jeers after the goal, Blaise heard it and was angered. I think the blame is 50-50, because Moise shouldn’t have celebrated like that"

Allegri - he shouldn't have celebrated in that manner, he's a young man and he has to learn, but certain things from the crowd also shouldn't be heard"

They clearly heard racist abuse.........but are partly blaming Kean. Incredible really.
    that's obviously inexcusable, i hadn't seen those quotes.

• Options
    i see Danny rose was in the papers today saying it is so bad that he cannot wait to retire, goes without saying that it should not happen and tbh i don't know how much of it goes on in prem but i have never heard any ( that players would hear ) at the valley. 

danny rose is on 60k a week if he did want to pursue a different career there would not be much stopping him - of course he shouldn't have to give up because of racist abuse

thoughts?
  • Options
    This is why I posted the link just before you commented. 

I 100% agree that players should not have to endure this.....but I found the way that some of it was worded a little odd. 

I obviously cannot know how he feels - but I reckon if my employment was that painful.....and I was already that loaded....I’d walk now.

i also thought it odd how he states the typical fines are as much as he spends on a night out. 

• Options
    edited April 2019

I 100% agree that players should not have to endure this.....but I found the way that some of it was worded a little odd. 

I obviously cannot know how he feels - but I reckon if my employment was that painful.....and I was already that loaded....I’d walk now.

i also thought it odd how he states the typical fines are as much as he spends on a night out. 

didn't see your link, but i am with you if you hated it that much you would give up now as on that sort of wage he could live quite comforatably, and move into coaching/management etc. not its so painful but ill quit in 5/6 years time. 

equally if it is so painful to play for england which is where he gets most of this abuse - step aside and someone will lighten you of that burden - we have already discussed how montenegro and serbia ( the 2 examples he gives ) are countries that i imagine do not have a high amount of black/non white players and people there so it is more of an ignorance on there part. 
  • Options

Daily Mail will pick up on that. "Black footballer thinks nothing of spending £40k on a night out"
  • Options
    The Montenegro disciplinary case will be dealt with by European football's governing body on 16 May. The minimum punishment is a partial stadium closure, while a second offence results in one match being played behind closed doors and a fine of 50,000 euros (£42,500).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "When countries get fined what I probably spend on a night out in London what do you expect?"

what a dick
    He weren’t spending that much when I saw him in Sipping Room in CW drinking pink cocktails with his mate. 
  • Options
    regarding players spending money as a society we mostly live within our means for example for me a treat is something like goodmans steak house, if you are earning 60k a week that would be the equivalent of a Mcdonald's to me. 
  • Options
    regarding players spending money as a society we mostly live within our means for example for me a treat is something like goodmans steak house, if you are earning 60k a week that would be the equivalent of a Mcdonald's to me. 
    I agree - but not something I would have quoted for publication in an article where you are looking to garner public support. 
  • Options
    Raheem talks out, talks sense and backs it up with his own community work.

Danny rose is an idiot. Always running his big mouth.

The sensible view is to see racism in football as a microcosm of racism in society. How Danny rose thinks hanging up his boots is going to improve things...What a wally.
  • Options
    Danny Rose gets racially abused whilst representing his country. Talks about how he’s sick of it and yet he becomes the bad guy in some people’s eyes, incredible. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Danny Rose gets racially abused whilst representing his country. Talks about how he’s sick of it and yet he becomes the bad guy in some people’s eyes, incredible. 
    They're condemning the racism, but pointing out how out of touch (maybe?) he is as a player (skin colour not relevant) comparing international football fines to what he'd spend on a night out.

Are you sure it isn't just people treating DR as an equal...
  • Options
    ......although he has taken me out for a burger a few times, so I can kind of see what he's saying
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    They're condemning the racism, but pointing out how out of touch (maybe?) he is as a player (skin colour not relevant) comparing international football fines to what he'd spend on a night out.

Are you sure it isn't just people treating DR as an equal...
    But he didn’t just randomly offer that comment, he made it to illustrate the point that fines levied on clubs/national teams for racist behaviour are paltry.

You would have to purposely want to take that comment out of context to make his comment some sort of affront to the working man rather than about UEFA’s shoddy handling of racist incidents. 
  • Options
    i see Danny rose was in the papers today saying it is so bad that he cannot wait to retire, goes without saying that it should not happen and tbh i don't know how much of it goes on in prem but i have never heard any ( that players would hear ) at the valley. 

danny rose is on 60k a week if he did want to pursue a different career there would not be much stopping him - of course he shouldn't have to give up because of racist abuse

thoughts?
    Thoughts?  Well mine include the following: 
    1. No-one should ever be in a position where they consider not carrying out their profession because they are on the receiving end of racist abuse. 
    2. The fact you haven't heard any at The Valley ("that the players would hear") is of no relevance whatsoever. 
    3. If Danny Rose wanted to pursue a different career, he should be able to.  But no-one should be forced into making a choice of suffering racism or changing jobs. 
    4. It doesn't matter how much money someone earns: everyone should be entitled to live without being the victim of racist abuse. 
    5. He earns lots of money - that doesn't mean he should compromise on his rights. 
    6. Anyone who does hear racist abuse and can identify the perpetrator should take action - everyone is culpable, whether they're a perpetrator or if they're someone who fails to prevent it.