Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old people being ripped off

Comments

• Options
    I have just been helping to clear my neighbour's house as he is now in a care home suffering from dementia.  You could hardly move in the house for charity mailshots, cards and religious tat.  His sister is investigating large withdrawals from his bank account.   Being a kind and gentle man he has been abused by these 'charitable' organisations and even gypsies who tarmacked his drive and wrecked his garden.  It makes me so mad.  
  • Options
    Remember a few years ago me dad had some photos of himself and his new "friends" at, what looked like, that big religious gaff (Jehovah Witness?), just off the road down to Hastings. I think theres a fine line between letting people make their own mind up and not wanting to watch them get taken advantage of. Not sure what exactly happened to these friends, but I've never heard him mention them since. 
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    i hope she can now receive the sky channels as well 
    An update.
    No she can't receive the Sky channels.
    Sky sent a new card for us to try in her box and it did not work so I contacted them again.

The person I was negotiating immediately said she could drop the price of the visit to £30.

Hang on a second. 
    She's been paying 63 quid and some of the channels didn't work? They sent out a new card and it still didn't work?
    So she's paid for a service, which wasn't delivered to her. 
    And they have the cheek to first of all charge 60 quid and then reduce it to 30, when you complained? 
    I would have told those bastards to at least send someone out free or charge or if not, then reimburse her for the days, where she's been without Sky.

Otherwise threaten them with Social Media. Often works. 
    Yes agree, but. I had no way of knowing how long she had been without Sky and they claimed they did not know.
    I would have cancelled the whole contract but - she is nearly 93 and virtually housebound and the T.V. the soaps etc are her only outlet.
    I came to the conclusion that continuity was the best option for her.
    I think that Sky may have to replace her box and I'm concerned a different set up will confuse her. 
  • Options
    It was the dear old AA with mum, just couldn't shake the buggers off ,despite her giving up driving some time ago.
  • Options
    Puzzling that various Data Protection regulations are so ineffectual in preventing harassment of vulnerable people by shyster businesses and individuals yet totally effective in enabling obfuscation by those same businesses, shysters and public sector departments when they or their advocates seek redress.
  • Options
    Some would argue that it could be seen as pay back for voting leave and ruining young people's lives.
  • Options
    I'm an old git who voted remain, so I should expect some kind of reward then.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Seth, your fellow oldies let you down. Group consequences, I'm afraid :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In slightly different ways it works with insurance companies and utility companies. I would love to see legislation where everything has a set price. It should be up to companies to decide what that price is, but they shouldn't be able to charge different prices for the same service,
    So you'd prefer for everyone to have to pay more?

Odd.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    There is competition and that wouldn't be the case in many instances. I certainly don't want to pay less on the backs of the vulnerable. Those that do are the odd ones in my book.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    There is competition and that wouldn't be the case in many instances. I certainly don't want to pay less on the backs of the vulnerable. Those that do are the odd ones in my book.
    I could back a rule that when someone's contract runs out then you can only increase the price of a maximum of x% plus inflation or something.

Media/telecoms rights costs (except for sports) are fairly consistent nowadays, if anything they're trending down due to competition and increased network capacity and speeds.

Those jacking up prices at the end of a contract are absolutely exploiting this segment of customer, which is over-represented by elderly/vulnerable people.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Your reward is to be made a member of parliament. 
    Your job is to solve the Irish border problem . 🙄
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Your reward is to be made a member of parliament. 
    Your job is to solve the Irish border problem . 🙄
    Don’t you mean your ‘punishment’ is to solve the Irish border problem.
  • Options
    Do you see what this thread has done to my personalised advert offering?

• Options
    There is competition now, prices are still ridiculous, companies charge what they can, not what they need to.

No one is paying less on the backs of the vulnerable, companies are making more from them, it's wrong and something needs to be done, especially with the sharing of 'to scam' lists, I just don't think removing negotiation is the answer
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Fair point. What is the answer though? We are talking about some of the biggest companies in the country here. 
  • Options
    Got this sent today...seems appropriate to put it here too....(trying to find the brexit thread...haha...)

Letter to Mrs. May - Genius!!

Dear Mrs. May,

Please find below our suggestion for fixing Brexit.

Instead of giving billions of pounds to Euro crates, that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 10 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them £1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.

Ten million job openings - unemployment fixed

2) They MUST buy a new British car.

Ten million cars ordered - Car Industry fixed

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -

Housing Crisis fixed

4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university -

Crime rate fixed

5) They MUST buy £100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week .....

And there's your money back in duty/tax etc

It can't get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

Also.....

Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks.

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request.

Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay £600.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

Think about this (more points of contention):

COWS

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Appleby almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the county of Cumbria?

And, they even tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 125,000 illegal immigrants wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also;

Think about this ... If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is time for us grumpy old folk of Britain to

Haha love it... With both my Nan and my wife's Nan in Nursing Homes (we visited the latter last week and she had to call three times to be helped to go to the toilet) the bit about Prisons / Homes certainly made me laugh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got this sent today...seems appropriate to put it here too....(trying to find the brexit thread...haha...)

Dear Mrs. May,

Instead of giving billions of pounds to Euro crates, that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

Pay them £1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.

Housing Crisis fixed

Crime rate fixed

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

Also.....

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay £600.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

COWS

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Appleby almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the county of Cumbria?

And, they even tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 125,000 illegal immigrants wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

Also;

Think about this ... If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is time for us grumpy old folk of Britain to

What a load of bollocks.

and finished off with the classic “if you don’t forward this ...” bullshit.
  • Options
    Fair point. What is the answer though? We are talking about some of the biggest companies in the country here. 
    I honestly have no idea as to what the answer is. I'd like to think more government control would help, but when you see the idiots currently being served up either side of the aisle, you know that's not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Off_it said:

Dear Mrs. May,

1) They MUST retire.

Housing Crisis fixed

Crime rate fixed

Also.....

COWS

Also;

What a load of bollocks.

Maybe illegal immigrants would be easier to track if we were milking them or eating them! Totally agree, a complete load of rubbish but what is worrying, there are people who read it and think it makes sense!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Dear Mrs. May,

1) They MUST retire.

Housing Crisis fixed

Crime rate fixed

Also.....

COWS

Also;

What a load of bollocks.

Maybe illegal immigrants would be easier to track if we were milking them or eating them! Totally agree, a complete load of rubbish but what is worrying, there are people who read it and think it makes sense!
    Give the illegal immigrants to the poor to eat - food poverty fixed.
  • Options
    Some people will take it seriously. Off it clearly hasn't.
  • Options
    Off_it is usually a good egg, so I’m a bit surprised at his reaction.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    My old mum is still sharp as a razor which is fortunate as my dad is becoming gullible in his old age. 
    The amount of charity appeals my folks get through their letter box and to my dad's computer in Canterbury is amazing. 
    My mum decided that the Kent air ambulance and a cancer charity would be their choice. Plus a few local small charities at Christmas.

TBF for every pushy charity or others looking to clean gutters or cut trees for rip off prices they have some wonderful local folk who help and will give lifts to shops and cut grass for a modest amount. 

Be alert and smell a rat ( think Roland)
  • Options
    Relieved, i thought the story was going to be a lot worse than Sky overcharging.
  • Options
    My old mum is still sharp as a razor which is fortunate as my dad is becoming gullible in his old age. 
    The amount of charity appeals my folks get through their letter box and to my dad's computer in Canterbury is amazing. 
    My mum decided that the Kent air ambulance and a cancer charity would be their choice. Plus a few local small charities at Christmas.

TBF for every pushy charity or others looking to clean gutters or cut trees for rip off prices they have some wonderful local folk who help and will give lifts to shops and cut grass for a modest amount. 

Be alert and smell a rat ( think Roland)
    Would love to rip off that old c***