Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton, Ebbsfleet now Bury (Clubs in trouble thread)

Comments

• Options
    Seen the questions the Bury lawyer says the EFL have failed to answer? Interesting ....anyone have any idea why the ex Port Vale chairman could be considered not a fit and proper person? Might just be lack of proof of funds of course...but if it's about his character this could be incendiary, given all the people they have waved through, not least Dale himself.
  • Options
    Seen the questions the Bury lawyer says the EFL have failed to answer? Interesting ....anyone have any idea why the ex Port Vale chairman could be considered not a fit and proper person? Might just be lack of proof of funds of course...but if it's about his character this could be incendiary, given all the people they have waved through, not least Dale himself.
    Probably, if it's true, because he still has an "interest" in Port Vale.  I wouldassume  they would block any of our ex directors under the same basis? 
  • Options
    The easiest way for Bury in this is to go after the EFL for allowing Dale buy them without undergoing the FAPT 

forget the expulsion and not look to over turn for this season go after them for failing to follow their own rules 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Probably, if it's true, because he still has an "interest" in Port Vale.  I wouldassume  they would block any of our ex directors under the same basis? 
    I kind of think that a lawyer might just have managed to investigate such an obvious possible reason as that, before making a big deal of it to the BBC.

Well after about 30 seconds search I came across this article, which tells us something rather interesting about Mr Smurthwaite, the ex Port Vale chair. It seems that after an initial honeymoon period he fell out with Vale fans, not least because he had taken on a "mentor" after assuming control of the club. This mentor was one Karl Oyston. That's a rather odd choice of mentor, isn't it? And how did this come about? Well it seems -and i am trying to get my head around this - that this was an official mentoring scheme run by the EFL.

So there we have it, folks. A new, previously inexperienced, owner is offered help by the EFl with a mentoring scheme. When he accepted, they provided as mentor possibly the worst person in the entire country to provide such a service. And now they declare the hapless Mr Smurthwaite as not a fit and proper person. Is this because the new EFL CEO believes that Smurthwaite has been tarnished by the toxic mentoring of Oyston, foisted upon him by the previous CEO of the EFL? It's almost too bizarre to contemplate, but this lawyer has very reason to ask this question - and to expect an answer.
  • Options
    The easiest way for Bury in this is to go after the EFL for allowing Dale buy them without undergoing the FAPT 

forget the expulsion and not look to over turn for this season go after them for failing to follow their own rules 
    Unless I missed something, Dale still owns Bury. So I don’t see how the he can sue the league for letting him buy the club. That’s getting into Roland territory. 
  • Options

Unless I missed something, Dale still owns Bury. So I don’t see how the he can sue the league for letting him buy the club. That’s getting into Roland territory. 
    The lawyer is not working for Dale, but for a group of players , employees and fans.
  • Options

The lawyer is not working for Dale, but for a group of players , employees and fans.
    And on behalf of prospective buyers all of whom have lost money 
  • Options
    What amuses me is the fans replying to that tweet saying they wouldnt see how Salary Caps would work or wouldnt want regionalisation because one good thing about Football is the ability to travel the width and breadth of the country on a Saturday afternoon visiting new places and new grounds

Trouble is when that sort of simple change could help save your Football club some money (what with no overnight stays) and so save them in the long run...

Surely anything is better than the alternative?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keith Hill been appointed Bolton boss... Good choice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49538882
  • Options
    And they have already signed a player.

Jack Hobbs has re-signed after leaving at the end of last season

• Options

An excellent choice. Massive job trying to put together a competitive team in the timescale though
  • Options
    Just need to distribute Sky's money better. Premier League need to get their act together......Spurs wouldnt have their Dele Ali if MK Dons had gone bust or Liverpool their Joe Gomez if we had done so. 
  • Options
    So if they did do the testing and he failed, then Bury goes under in December of 2018? So... they would be essentially suing that they should have gone under nine months ago?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Just need to distribute Sky's money better. Premier League need to get their act together......Spurs wouldnt have their Dele Ali if MK Dons had gone bust or Liverpool their Joe Gomez if we had done so. 
    I disagree. It's not the premier league's responsibility to give more money to the lower leagues.

If they did then all i see that would happen is that some lower league clubs would then just spend more. 

Also if MK Dons or us had gone bust i'm pretty sure players like Alli and Gomez would've found other clubs. It's not as if two quality players who both made their international debuts by the age of 20 were going to end up playing non league just because their clubs folded.
  • Options
    I disagree. It's not the premier league's responsibility to give more money to the lower leagues.

If they did then all i see that would happen is that some lower league clubs would then just spend more. 
    Need wage caps and actual fit and proper tests that work, not more money to spunk chasing the golden ticket. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enable football League clubs the capacity to get full price for their academy / youth products.

It's all right saying don't give more money to football League clubs but the premier League are partially responsible for this mess.

The inflated wages in the premier League have trickled down to the EFL.

The premier League held the EFL to ransom and practically forced clubs into the academy / youth player sales structure where the kids go for peanuts.

The premier League should double payments to the EFL but half that money should be held by an independent body. If a club meets strict financial targets each year then they are given the extra.
  • Options
    That's the problem @PragueAddick. They've let so many cowboys in now, I don't see how there will ever be a sufficient number of straight/responsible owners to get a majority vote in favour of better regulation.

Even the ones who aren't all bad, at Man City and Wolves for example, are highly unlikely to vote for anything which might restrict what they can do, how much they spend, etc.
  • Options
    @MrLargo absolutely agree. Only strong political pressure could bring about even half of what I believe needs to happen. That pressure though only comes if we gave discussions like this and more and more fans realise where the heart of the problem lies.

• Options
    Here's Oliver Holt's column today in the Mail on Sunday, makes good reading .

Also on the opposite page to it it lists the next clubs to possible fall and we're one of them with Macclesfield, Scunthorpe, Coventry and Morecombe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7415013/10k-parking-space-Bury-time-start-protecting-things-love-most.html
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Here's Oliver Holt's column today in the Mail on Sunday, makes good reading .

Also on the opposite page to it it lists the next clubs to possible fall and we're one of them with Macclesfield, Scunthorpe, Coventry and Morecombe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7415013/10k-parking-space-Bury-time-start-protecting-things-love-most.html
    I don't think he was especially picking us as likely candidates to be the next club to fall, but wanted to give 5 different examples of bad ownership.
  • Options
    That was also a bad move for football and shows how weak the EFL are comparison to FAPL. In return for EFL getting a bigger percentage of TV revenue FAPL clubs were allowed to "get away with murder" and get players on the cheap and not pay full worth what they are worth.. 
  • Options

An excellent choice. Massive job trying to put together a competitive team in the timescale though
    I can’t imagine there’s any expectation of success this season. 12 points deducted before a ball was kicked, getting dicked 5-0 by the likes of Gillingham every week and no squad to speak of. There’s not much they can do about the squad until Christmas, so results are unlikely to improve dramatically.
    I imagine the whole club has written the season off already as being irretrievable and Hill will be aiming to hit the ground running in league 2 next year.
  • Options
    I honestly think that an owner will soon get proper hurt for screwing a club over it only will take one loonie to think fuck it 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Disagree. They had numerous deadlines and deliberately missed them all.

At some point the EFL has to say "enough".  That should have been the summer or when Dale bought Bury, that is their mistake.

EFL are incompetent and the safeguards they have in place are inadequate.  Small clubs are battling to stay alive in an unequal marketplace that has been allowed to develop.  As a result they put themselves in jeopardy because it's that or extinction.  In this case it is extinction anyway, but this way they were in with a chance.