Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    I'm talking about it too much but it fascinates me too much

Games can only be held on Saturday 29th February once every 28-years
    I think I heard this is either our 3rd or we have had 3 previously 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think I heard this is either our 3rd or we have had 3 previously 
    I put this on the Huddersfield game thread earlier

More info on FA mentioning 29 Feb games

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e59148515477/leap-day-addicks-charltons-record-on-february-29th
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    First time we've played on 29 Feb in my Charlton supporting 25/26 years.

Can't make this one, but will aim to make the next.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Next one will be watching players who haven't even been born yet.
  • Options
    Millwall beat Charlton in March 1933 but then didn’t beat them for another 35 years.
  • Options
    WLWLL

Charlton have the same form as Liverpool.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When new champions are crowned at the end of the season it’ll be the first time in premier league history that Alex Ferguson was won less titles than all other managers together. He‘s been retired 7 years. 13 of the currently 26 premier league years belong to him.

Hasn’t there been 27 premier league seasons already though? 

19/20 is the 28th?

Maths not my strong point, so could be wrong.
    First one was 92/93 so this is the 27th.
    If 92/93 was the first, this is the 28th.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When new champions are crowned at the end of the season it’ll be the first time in premier league history that Alex Ferguson was won less titles than all other managers together. He‘s been retired 7 years. 13 of the currently 26 premier league years belong to him.

Hasn’t there been 27 premier league seasons already though? 

19/20 is the 28th?

Maths not my strong point, so could be wrong.
    First one was 92/93 so this is the 27th.
    If 92/93 was the first, this is the 28th.
    Yes, I was wrong, I counted 93 as year zero! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Norman Whiteside was only 34 when Man United won the treble....... 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    I didn't quite believe myself, that's why I deleted the post.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Norman Whiteside was only 34 when Man United won the treble....... 
    Great fact!  Younger than Peter Schmeichel!
  • Options
    September 1st 2001 was the date that car registrations changed, instead of the first letter representing a year it became a 2 digit number, 51 was the first. Also on that day, England played a world cup qualifier in Germany, the score 5-1 
  • Options

Not quite true.  Because 1900 wasn't a leap year, there would have been a gap longer than 28 years before the days of the week and dates matched up again.  I haven't looked up what the effect was, but it would have meant either less or more than 28 years between such Saturdays.  The same will happen with 2100, 2200 and 2300 not being leap years but we won't be around.  Indeed, the way things are going, the human race may not be around.
  • Options

Not quite true.  Because 1900 wasn't a leap year, there would have been a gap longer than 28 years before the days of the week and dates matched up again.  I haven't looked up what the effect was, but it would have meant either less or more than 28 years between such Saturdays.  The same will happen with 2100, 2200 and 2300 not being leap years but we won't be around.  Indeed, the way things are going, the human race may not be around.
    And with that I just learnt the 100 year not a leap year/400 years is a leap year thing.
  • Options
    cafc375 said:
    September 1st 2001 was the date that car registrations changed, instead of the first letter representing a year it became a 2 digit number, 51 was the first. Also on that day, England played a world cup qualifier in Germany, the score 5-1 
    I hate to be pedantic, but the score was 1-5, not 5-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And with that I just learnt the 100 year not a leap year/400 years is a leap year thing.
    But isn't every 2000 years a "super leap year" with 30 days in Feb? 
  • Options
     Charlton Athletic are enjoying a 17 day unbeaten run. Remarkably, they haven’t allowed the opponents a shot on goal, had one themselves. Also, no corners, free kicks or throw ins have been conceded my any of the teams. Even more of a surprise is that Jason Pearce hasn’t laid a finger on the player his has been marking. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Where did you get that idea?

2) You did live through 2000 so surely you'd have noticed 30 days in Feb, no?

However, 30th Feb has existed:
    https://www.timeanddate.com/date/february-30.html
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:

I didn't say which 2000 years did I :wink:

The year 2000 was only 2000 after a totally arbatory point in time.

I am sure I have read somewhere that a year is 365 and a quarter days, plus a tiny little bit more.  So about every 2000 years you would have to have an extra day. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I didn't say which 2000 years did I :wink:

The year 2000 was only 2000 after a totally arbatory point in time.

I am sure I have read somewhere that a year is 365 and a quarter days, plus a tiny little bit more.  So about every 2000 years you would have to have an extra day. 
    Actually, it’s 365 and a quarter days but a tiny little bit LESS which is why 3 out of 4 “100 years” don’t have a leap year as mentioned above.
  • Options
    In 2002 a match ended 149-0.  Every goal was an own goal.  AS Adama beat Stade Olympique de L'Emyrne in Madagascar.  In protest at some poor decisions from the ref, every time SOE kicked off they kicked the ball into their own net.
  • Options
    Ive only ever done 1 survey

that was deleted without explanation,outrageous!!!
  • Options
    Poor Bert.  What was the survey about?
  • Options
    Poor Bert.  What was the survey about?
    Moderation and totalitarianism - A 21st Century phenomenon