Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• I am slightly surprised it doesn't happen more often near the start of a season, but only takes one first team player to like number 18 or whatever I guess to ruin it!
  • I recall it was the first game of the season after we won The Championship.
    Lisbie didn't have a 1-11 number did he? 
  • The last two teams to wear 1-11 in the Premier League were West Bromwich Albion in 2015 and Manchester United in 2008, but these were commemorative occasions for Jeff Astle and the Munich air disaster, respectively. The last instance of a Premier League team using the first 11 squad numbers was newly-promoted Charlton Athletic at the beginning of 1998-99.
    Knew I'd come across this fact somewhere before...
  •  Cardiff have a defender that has scored twice as many as our team this season. 
  • edited August 2021

Did anyone ever get the answer to.this (or did he give the answer?)?

• Did anyone ever get the answer to.this (or did he give the answer?)?

I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to work it out.

Went through every Forest player in the last 40 years, to see who made just one appearance, but no luck.
  • edited August 2021
    Me too, and a couple of mates. Looked at every lineup for League Cup finals as well. Need the answer!
  • Ben18 said:

Did anyone ever get the answer to.this (or did he give the answer?)?

I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to work it out.

Went through every Forest player in the last 40 years, to see who made just one appearance, but no luck.
    Is it Nottingham Forest?  Could be Forest Green Rovers or something else. 
  • Been having another look - could it be Andy Townshend?
  • Been having another look - could it be Andy Townshend?
    Was born in an odd year so it can't be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Welling United, Weymouth first clubs. Norwich City. At Villa with Collymore... almost works?!
  • Welling United, Weymouth first clubs. Norwich City. At Villa with Collymore... almost works?!
    No none Eire youth appearances.  Played in 2 world cups, never played for any forest.  Only 1 club same as Claridge? 
  • Yep, got a bit excited and carried away!
  • Who ever it was was born in either 60, 64, 68,72,76 or 80.  I think.  That narrows it down 🙄
  • It's surely a trick question somewhere.

We'll find out that the 'born in a European Championships year' refers to Athletics or hockey or something.
  • It's surely a trick question somewhere.

We'll find out that the 'born in a European Championships year' refers to Athletics or hockey or something.
    The amount of people that have put in decent hours to figure out the answer and still can’t confirm the name makes me think you’re right with there being a trick question within. I hope it’s not a wind up with no correct answer!
  • There are 12 clues given, and the fact that no one can even find a player who works for say 10 of them does lead me to think it's a wind up.
  • There are 12 clues given, and the fact that no one can even find a player who works for say 10 of them does lead me to think it's a wind up.
    I think the forest is a massive clue, I can't solve it though. If it was Nottingham Forest it would say Nottingham Forest.  The United and City are the way they are to imply its Manchester but its pretty obvious that is unlikely. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    There are 12 clues given, and the fact that no one can even find a player who works for say 10 of them does lead me to think it's a wind up.
    I think the forest is a massive clue, I can't solve it though. If it was Nottingham Forest it would say Nottingham Forest.  The United and City are the way they are to imply its Manchester but its pretty obvious that is unlikely. 
    It's the one I focused on the most as United & City could be such a wide range of clubs.

If it's not Nottingham Forest, which I've not been able to find a player for, I've no idea how anyone will get it!
  • If it is Nottingham Forest, then it makes the Collymore clue almost irrelevant as he played for them too.
  • Also the City clue could be an own goal which makes it pretty useless.
  • Richard Gough was the closest I got to fitting some of the clues, born in Sweden but played for Scotland, born in a Euros year, brief loan at Forest, started at Dundee United and played for Kansas City Wizards... but the rest doesn't fit I don't think.
  • Also just realised he was born in a WC year not Euros.  Definitely nope.
  • I’m not sure I believe this one but apparently Man City have scored 108 cup goals since Crystal Palace last score ONE!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Newcastle away ? 
    Illic
    Mills
    Powell
    Readfern
    Youds
    Rufus
    Newton
    Kinsella
    Hunt
    Mendonca
    Robinson

Against Newcastle opening day I guess?

Not sure if that 11 ever played again although I suspect they did. 
    Yes, the Liverpool away game had the same 11 I think

I can only apologise once again for putting this out there. My mate who's in the Facebook group for this said the answer hasn't been revealed. I have given up as it was driving me mad and I fear it either is a wind up or so obscure as to be a letdown. If I do hear the answer I will pass it on but it's taken up an awful lot of time between us all.

I can only apologise once again for putting this out there. My mate who's in the Facebook group for this said the answer hasn't been revealed. I have given up as it was driving me mad and I fear it either is a wind up or so obscure as to be a letdown. If I do hear the answer I will pass it on but it's taken up an awful lot of time between us all.
    Dion Dublin ?
    Alas not
  • I’m not sure I believe this one but apparently Man City have scored 108 cup goals since Crystal Palace last score ONE!
    Highly possible. Palace last scored a cup goal in the FA Cup, March 2019.

Just in the champions league alone in that time, City have probably played 25-30 games.