Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tommy Caton

26 years ago today that he passed away. RIP.
We had some centre half units during our selhurst days.

Comments

• Options
    Could take a mean penalty
  • Options
    Wow - that long ago? RIP Tommy. 
  • Options
    Very sad. What a talent, so much so that by the time he was 21 he has already played over 150 games.
  • Options
    great away day for the travelling handful who made it , plenty of room on the terraces to loop around
  • Options
    Very sad. I wasn't a regular in those days, but pretty sure I saw his final game, the FA Cup game against Everton in 1991
  • Options
    I see Tony Mowbray was playing, was he quoted 'We shouldn't be losing to teams like Charlton' after the game?
  • Options
    sadly a rather tragic life after his time as a young phenomenon. Injury/retirement led to excessive drinking and death at a ridiculously young age .. as said on here, a terrific defender .. one of if not the youngest ever to get to 100 league appearances .. R I P Tommy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great away day for the travelling handful who made it , plenty of room on the terraces to loop around
    Was that the one where the boro fans were giving us the slit throat gestures to our left.
    And the tannoy bloke give it “at least we’ve got our own ground”
  • Options
    He was indeed a lovely guy. Last time I saw him was an away trip with the Junior Reds to Oxford Utd. (He was working there in some capacity). Came over and spoke to the kids (and us). He had an uncanny knack of remembering people's names.
  • Options
    Shocked that it was that long ago. RIP Tommy. 
  • Options
    Was that the one where the boro fans were giving us the slit throat gestures to our left.

I believe it was. I went by train to this and we met a few Sunderland fans on the way home and had a decent session with them, drinking and passing around herbal cigarettes.
  • Options

I believe it was. I went by train to this and we met a few Sunderland fans on the way home and had a decent session with them, drinking and passing around herbal cigarettes.
    Love and peas. 🙂
  • Options
    some of my favourite centre halves are from the Selhurst days. With Caton I'd add in Pates & Kernighan.
    Peter Shirtliff was not bad either.
  • Options
    some of my favourite centre halves are from the Selhurst days. With Caton I'd add in Pates & Kernighan.
    Thommo too
  • Options
    Thommo too
    Paul Miller. 
  • Options
    Good player, Caton.
    Thinking about Alan Kernaghan, am I right in thinking there was a match against Middlesbrough when we had Kernaghan on loan from them and they had Colin Walsh on loan from us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AlF said:
    Good player, Caton.
    Thinking about Alan Kernaghan, am I right in thinking there was a match against Middlesbrough when we had Kernaghan on loan from them and they had Colin Walsh on loan from us?
    Yes, at shithurst park
  • Options
    Yes - good day and unexpected win. I recall actually laughing that Morts tumble gleaned a penalty...
  • Options
    yep i'm certain it was

think this may have been the one i went to on my own on the coach ( i was a cabbles before his time ) and you and the others got the train up boozing in darlington or hartlepool where it kicked off between the locals ....
    all though all those northern trips blur in to each other back then
  • Options
    Yes - one of the very few times we got the train, you are right. But we just changed at Darlo and got the train straight to Middlesbrough, swerved the agro. The train back was better, we caught an earlier train from Darlo than expected and because of that it wasn't "dry". Happy boozy journey home...   
  • Options
    Yes - good day and unexpected win. I recall actually laughing that Morts tumble gleaned a penalty...
    I remember it as Alex dyer but could be wrong.
  • Options
    yep i'm certain it was

think this may have been the one i went to on my own on the coach ( i was a cabbles before his time ) and you and the others got the train up boozing in darlington or hartlepool where it kicked off between the locals ....
    all though all those northern trips blur in to each other back then
    Didn’t realise it was that game.
    it was strange at first as we were in a working mans club outside Darlington station and every half hour about a dozen locals would look out of a particular window.
    turned out Darlington were at home to Hartlepool that afternoon and every time a Hartlepool train arrived, the people in the bar would watch a group of Darlington fans “welcome” the visitors with a side street ambush.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Thommo too
    Paul Miller. 
    Joe McLaughlin
  • Options
    I remember bursting into tears when I heard the news that he had passed away. I think other than the playoff final (which were tears of joy) it's the only time I cried for anything football related.
  • Options

Loved Caton

Pates and McLaughlin were shite in my opinion but Caton was good and took a great pen

• Options
    He played a couple of years before I started going but I always remember him being the only Charlton player I could find in the pro set cards of that year...