Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tommy Caton

2»

Comments

• Options
    great away day for the travelling handful who made it , plenty of room on the terraces to loop around
    Was that the one where the boro fans were giving us the slit throat gestures to our left.
    And the tannoy bloke give it “at least we’ve got our own ground”
    My recollection was that the tannoy bloke (who might have been DJ Mark Page) said something along the lines of you could all share a taxi. And I thought it was Alex Dyer that got brought down for the pen. It was a long time ago tho.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    He played a couple of years before I started going but I always remember him being the only Charlton player I could find in the pro set cards of that year...

I had that card too. Also the only one I had and I kept it for years afterwards. So sad he died so young.
  • Options
    I wonder why the testimonial match against Man City never came off?
  • Options

Aways remember Tommy Caton scoring at Ipswich in the 4-4 game over Christmas at Portman Road.

He played in the same England team as Pates,Peake and McKenzie that played in the little world cup as it was called then,under 18 level.

• Options
    Made his debut away v Wimbledon against Fash the Bash with Steve Gritt alongside him if I recall correctly.

Excellent player for us at a very tough time.
  • Options
    Met him at a bus stop outside Selhurst after we had beaten derby 3-0 to secure our Div One status.

If memory serves he had lost his liscence (hence journeying by bus) , but he was happy to chat to us whilst we waited for different buses - really nice bloke, and very softly spoken if I remember.

On another bus related CAFC note, in his early days in the 1st team, big Carlo could regularly be spotted getting the 75 (I think) up to the game.

Thirty years on, it is hard to believe that many modern day PL centre forwards have ever even been on a bus, let alone take one to the game!
  • Options
    Made his debut away v Wimbledon against Fash the Bash with Steve Gritt alongside him if I recall correctly.

Excellent player for us at a very tough time.

Correct Sir. We got a 1-1 draw with Robert Lee putting us 1 up and Fashanu equalizing. Part of a 10 match run without a win.
  • Options

I was at the Middlesbrough game. Thought the penalty looked wrong at the time but now it looks like Dyer might've been barged over. Great win....and I remember it felt fairly intimidating at the end.
  • Options
    great away day for the travelling handful who made it , plenty of room on the terraces to loop around
    Yes - good day and unexpected win. I recall actually laughing that Morts tumble gleaned a penalty...
    I remember it as Alex dyer but could be wrong.
    You could well be right PBS. Long time ago! 
  • Options
    Was that the one where the boro fans were giving us the slit throat gestures to our left.
    And the tannoy bloke give it “at least we’ve got our own ground”
    My recollection was that the tannoy bloke (who might have been DJ Mark Page) said something along the lines of you could all share a taxi. And I thought it was Alex Dyer that got brought down for the pen. It was a long time ago tho.

A former Radio 1 DJ and football stadium announcer has appeared in court charged with child sex offences.

Mark Page, 62, faces two counts of attempting to incite or cause a girl to engage in sexual activity.

Two further charges allege he arranged or facilitated sexual exploitation in the Philippines.

Following a hearing at Teesside Magistrates' Court on Monday, Mr Page was bailed and the case adjourned to 8 March.

Mr Page, of Rowallane Gardens, Ingleby Barwick, worked for Radio 1 in the 1980s and had also been a stadium announcer for Middlesbrough FC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-56001450