Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

12 months on...

There were 13.590 Charlton fans at The Valley for the Shrewsbury home leg last season, which was considerably the largest actual turnout in the home areas that season.

12 months on and 1,500 extra have already been sold for next weeks game. Even if sales slow right down, we are still looking at somewhere between 3-5,000 home fans attending next week who didn't attend last year.

Not digging anyone out in any way, the more the better. Just interested if anyone here is one of those and (unless they were working, holiday etc) what there reasons are for attending this one and not last year?

There seems a big mark up in interest for this that hasn't really been reflected at home games through the season, so just interested in others views.

Comments

• Options
    bigger connection between players/management and fans?....plus maybe more of a genuine belief that this is the year?
  • Options
    I went last year but am holding back at the moment as I’m awaiting confirmation of a hospital appointment for prostate surgery 
  • Options
    This will be my first game at the Valley since I moved to the North West over 10 years ago, although I do attend quite a few away games. Personally, I am much more excited about watching Charlton than 12 months ago. There is an air of something special about to happen that wasn't there last year. We have some special players at the moment (Taylor, Bielik, Sarr and Aribo in particular) and the atmosphere at away games has been different class this season. As Elthamaddick stated, there is much more connection between players, management and fans at the moment, although I am fearful of what may happen if we do not get promoted this year.
  • Options
    I think it’s because this team is exciting and is expected to get to Wembley. Last year that wasn’t the case . 

A play offs a play off beds.
    Are we saying if we had to play Sunderland we wouldn't get as many as they'd be less chance we'd win
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think the team play a brand of football that is genuinely exciting. Tight fast, close passing and moving that you normally see only at higher levels. As a football lover, I do enjoy watching us play. We have weaknesses, we need more goals from midfield for it to be perfect but it is pretty good all the same.
  • Options
    despite the old scrotes best efforts, there seems to be a real togetherness between the fans and and between fans and players and management.

• Options
    Didn't go last season though went to the away game.

Step son, who has just finished his degree, is coming back specifically for this game and has nagged and nagged me to take him. Son has therefore also decided to go.

Been to two home games this season, both hospitality, so will be nice to get back to The Valley again and enjoy the moment.

Just need to confirm my away tickets now.
  • Options
    Working shift so I was at my old desk whilst we were playing. Went away leg though 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Yes, but what about the fans that didn't go last year but are going this year have to say?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the team play a brand of football that is genuinely exciting. Tight fast, close passing and moving that you normally see only at higher levels. As a football lover, I do enjoy watching us play. We have weaknesses, we need more goals from midfield for it to be perfect but it is pretty good all the same.
    I agree, but there hasn’t in the ground seemed much of a pick up in home attendees as the season’s progressed
  • Options
    I went last year, but I am much more confident this.
  • Options
    Last year we were never going up , this year we’re getting to the final before we lose 
  • Options
    @AFKABartram

just out of curiosity, what were the visitor numbers on CL last year as compared to this year?

It just feels like there's a lot more interest all round at the moment
  • Options
    I think it’s because this team is exciting and is expected to get to Wembley. Last year that wasn’t the case . 

this
  • Options
    Form? 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

A play offs a play off beds.
    Are we saying if we had to play Sunderland we wouldn't get as many as they'd be less chance we'd win
    I agree . Fans can be fickle though ( I’ll always go regardless) 
  • Options
    Coming into the Play Offs this season with an attractive style of football, players/staff that relate to the fans much more. And the fact we have steam rolled teams in the league at home the past few weeks are all good reasons for why people are coming back this year. Plus a Friday night under the lights - I can see why there's a bigger turnout this year.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I posted this earlier on Twitter and will add to it on here........Listened to Bowyer and then @lyletaylor90 on @charltonlive yesterday and then got a text from @DaveStorry asking the question, thrown my principles out the window and bought a ticket. Will never forgive some Charlton employees for what happened a couple years back but now tired of fighting and the prospect of next season terrifies me, but the good people of #cafc from some club staff to players and team management are worthy of my £ and that's what I'm trying to think of. To the people that think I'm a "Glory boy" I'd ask you to think back to when you first fell in love with this club, maybe you were enticed by Target 10,000 maybe the Premiership days you had to start somewhere, try and think of me as a new boy that wants to see the club where he grew up do well, its your football club and I want to join. Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson, the squad of players, @Tracey, the trust, Charltonlife and CharltonLive all kept me attached to this club. Last season there was pretty much nothing that could have got me through the gates, this season a little bit of me see's our Charlton coming back and I want to see if that is the case, not on the tv but live.  #cafc
    No Charlton supporter can ever be accused of being a glory boy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Port vale got a takeover today,Say our club got one easy sell 24,000.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I posted this earlier on Twitter and will add to it on here........Listened to Bowyer and then @lyletaylor90 on @charltonlive yesterday and then got a text from @DaveStorry asking the question, thrown my principles out the window and bought a ticket. Will never forgive some Charlton employees for what happened a couple years back but now tired of fighting and the prospect of next season terrifies me, but the good people of #cafc from some club staff to players and team management are worthy of my £ and that's what I'm trying to think of. To the people that think I'm a "Glory boy" I'd ask you to think back to when you first fell in love with this club, maybe you were enticed by Target 10,000 maybe the Premiership days you had to start somewhere, try and think of me as a new boy that wants to see the club where he grew up do well, its your football club and I want to join. Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson, the squad of players, @Tracey, the trust, Charltonlife and CharltonLive all kept me attached to this club. Last season there was pretty much nothing that could have got me through the gates, this season a little bit of me see's our Charlton coming back and I want to see if that is the case, not on the tv but live.  #cafc
    Of course they can.

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    What about the “fans” the came when we were in the Prem but haven’t darkened our door since?
  • Options
    I'm highly sceptical as to the quoted "sales" figures thus far.  S/T double-counts just one reason.
    Official communiqués on ticket sales will dry up in a day or so.  
  • Options
    So this will be the first game of the season for me, and yep I'm bandwagon jumping, but watching from afar, Bowyer and the like of Taylor have a real connection and I'm more then gutted that I've missed out on a lot of good football because I've tried not to hand over money to this owner. 

I'll be at Wembley too, but then anyone who wants a ticket will be.  
  • Options
    Until he's gone.......

Although my wife has told me she's getting tickets for Wembley if we qualify. That'll test me.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Your money will be paying towards the staff salaries as well as many other things.
    The truth is it's nonsense to say it goes to Roland.
    Roland is losing millions each year on Charlton. He is not profiting.
    It may mean he loses less than the usual £5M to £10M (approx), but he will still be losing millions.
    Enjoy your day (hopefully).
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    T_C_E said:
    What about the “fans” the came when we were in the Prem but haven’t darkened our door since?
    They weren't true Charlton fans.
    They were fans of Premier League football and came to see the opposition (in general).
  • Options
    I mentioned on another post that the messages coming from within the club, not from the owner, were much more positive and optimistic than previously.  I think the conclusion we reached was that there was noone getting in the way of good people trying to do their jobs.