Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Doncaster semi-final leg 2 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Finally peeled myself off the ceiling. Hopefully I have some serotonin left for next Sunday. Thoughts on the game? I was quietly confident beforehand but as soon as they scored that confidence ebbed away and I remember thinking why we were trying to slow things down when we should have been taking the game to them. There is game management and then there is retreating into your shell! Couldn’t celebrate the penalties as I had my head in my lap only looking up to see the kicks resigning myself to another night of heartache. Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, we’re going to Wemberlee ringing in my ears all the way back to the car.
  • Options
    I was glancing at the scoreboard clock regularly and was really pleased that it seemed to move on by about ten minutes each time. Even the second half was going quickly. Then it hit 78 minutes and refused to move, creeping up by seconds when I could have sworn minutes had elapsed. Very strange.
  • Options
    Still recovering after the tension, the highs, the lows and finally the jubilation of last night.

what a night indeed the atmosphere reminded me of the good old days, a very special evening.

A big thank you to the players and playing staff but in particular Lee and Jacko for making an old man and his Grandson ecstatically happy.
  • Options
    I still can’t get my head around the last 24 hours.  I’ve tried to start typing some post match thoughts but I’ve got nothing.  All that I can say is given how much of a rollercoaster it was, I feel remarkably calm about Sunday.  Maybe because the adrenaline and the euphoria of the win is still very much in my system and I had hardly any sleep after an early start, but after that, I’ve got no sense of nervousness or anxiety.  Strange 

also, don’t know how many of you also had this, but my legs were absolute jelly when standing watching the pens.  Unbelievable what this game and this club can do to you.  
  • Options
    I was glancing at the scoreboard clock regularly and was really pleased that it seemed to move on by about ten minutes each time. Even the second half was going quickly. Then it hit 78 minutes and refused to move, creeping up by seconds when I could have sworn minutes had elapsed. Very strange.
    I was trying to do the opposite but kept catching the clock now and then thinking the longer it’s going on the more likelier they will score. When they got the corner I assumed the worst and couldn’t believe it when they scored. I was in the middle of thinking at least it won’t go to pens after Marquis scored.....
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    One of the strangest, but also most exciting games I’ve ever been to. Clearly the packed Valley (and status as favourites) got to the players on the night;
    Donny knocked us out of our stride and played very well, benefitting from their pressure relieving position as underdogs with nothing to lose. 
    We froze alarming, to the extent that Pratley replacing the far more gifted, but much less experienced Morgan, was welcomed by most.

And the penalties! Everyone in my section thought that they last penalty had gone in. We couldn’t understand why people were on the pitch. Weird numb feeling, rather than elation. I’m still getting over the disappointment of Naby’s penalty being saved. Could have been one of those great, never-to-be-forgotten moments if he’d scored!

Pleasant pre-match wine and canapés with @AFKABartram @cabbles and @SE7toSG3 augured well, with anyone expressing doubts we’d win easily heavily censured. Ha, if we’d only known!

Ended up consoling a group of Donny fans at the station. They deserved their win on the night, but over the two legs, and certainly over the whole season, we deserve our place at Wembley at very least. 

They key now is to persuade the players that they are now underdogs for the final. It’s our best hope!

I hate to think what’ll happen next season if we lose. 

In in the meantime I’m very anxious about not being able to buy three tickets on Monday morning :-(
    Pleasure to meet you mate and thanks for the beer 
  • Options
    Just remembered I got the bus back with a load of Donny fans. They were sound. Mainly, it was their number 6 that made me pray for their destruction
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    JamesSeed said:
    One of the strangest, but also most exciting games I’ve ever been to. Clearly the packed Valley (and status as favourites) got to the players on the night;
    Donny knocked us out of our stride and played very well, benefitting from their pressure relieving position as underdogs with nothing to lose. 
    We froze alarming, to the extent that Pratley replacing the far more gifted, but much less experienced Morgan, was welcomed by most.

And the penalties! Everyone in my section thought that they last penalty had gone in. We couldn’t understand why people were on the pitch. Weird numb feeling, rather than elation. I’m still getting over the disappointment of Naby’s penalty being saved. Could have been one of those great, never-to-be-forgotten moments if he’d scored!

Pleasant pre-match wine and canapés with @AFKABartram @cabbles and @SE7toSG3 augured well, with anyone expressing doubts we’d win easily heavily censured. Ha, if we’d only known!

Ended up consoling a group of Donny fans at the station. They deserved their win on the night, but over the two legs, and certainly over the whole season, we deserve our place at Wembley at very least. 

They key now is to persuade the players that they are now underdogs for the final. It’s our best hope!

I hate to think what’ll happen next season if we lose. 

In in the meantime I’m very anxious about not being able to buy three tickets on Monday morning :-(
    Pleasure to meet you mate and thanks for the beer 
    Jeez, did I buy beer!?
  • Options
    No spoilers please.I taped it and I’m going to sit and watch it now with a glass of merlot. Come on you reds.. 
     You'll need the 2nd bottle mate. 
  • Options
    Hangover from hell 
    But as happy as can possibly be. 

I don't believe you. You need to leave yourself somewhere to go in case we win at Wembley and Roland sells up the next day.
  • Options

Love Pratleys reaction in that, 'right, one down, one to go' 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Up there with 1998 for emotions. After Marquis had scored Golfie Jnr was almost in tears as he thought the game had gone. Cue 30 mins later when they missed their 5th pen & the lad was almost in tears again.....but for the right reasons. 

He so much wanted to go to Wembley & now he can. Orderd tickets & he is looking forward to next weekend. Has the 2nd paper of his English GCSE on Thursday so it will be a great way for him to  celebrate once that's out of the way. 

Nothing else to be said about the game itself. We played poorly but got away with it as we won the 1st leg. It's done & dusted now. Onwards to 7 days time. 

• Options
    I actually can't stop thinking about the game. Will just be walking about and think of how deflated I was when I thought they had scored the winner and then Pratley just restores all faith moments later. 

Oh what a night 
  • Options

Where's Naby in that bottom photo?! 
  • Options
    Just out of shot
  • Options
    Can someone explain who was meant to be playing on right in front of ADS? Cos he went missing.
  • Options
    Can someone explain who was meant to be playing on right in front of ADS? Cos he went missing.
    No one, we switched from a 4-4-2 diamond and then 5-3-2/3-5-2, neither of which feature wingers/wide midfielders.
  • Options
    Late to comment but what a night, happy, to worry, to despair, to absolute joy at then end when I got talked in to running on the pitch to celebrate.

Amazing effort and noise from our fans, especially the penalties, what it must have been like to be one of those Doncaster players walking up to the spot surrounded by that and thankfully for us it worked.

I did not get home until 04:30 and even then struggled to sleep as I was still pumped up, nights like that are what keeps you going as a fan of a normal club.
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    SDAddick said:
    Don't care if he was rubbish, he wasn't alone, Naby is part of what got us here and I love him for it. He looked so nervous before the pens. But I'd put money right now on him being MOTM at Wembley. Class persists. 
    Worth a mention that Naby is Muslim and as it's Ramadan he'd not eaten or drunk anything all day.  On that basis his performance was heroic. He wasn't terrible anyway. 
    On that basis I'd have Pearce back for the final.
  • Options
    I’m fairly sure Naby would have had a dispensation as a Sportsman during Ramadan. 
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Great scenes after, and at London Bridge, Donny played well but inaging that journey home for them now, brilliant night and one I will remember for years to come...get in! 
    I'm in that picture.  Fame at last.
    #metoo  :smile: