Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Starting XI & subs for next Sunday

Comments

• Options
    I thought Naby looked lethargic on Friday. Someone on here said he was on a fast for Ramadan - no food or water. If that is true, it might explain the fact that he was off-form. If he's still fasting on Sunday, should he start?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I remain baffled at how Reeves didn't make the bench. We really could have used him on Friday 

To me the big question is who plays on the left hand side of the diamond? Yes, Pratley came on and did well, but I think he's too negative to start with Cullen and Bielik.

I think Albie Morgan has shown he has tremendous potential. I thought Friday was a game too far for him, especially defensively. 

If JFC were able to go 60-70 minutes he'd be my choice. But I can't imagine it's the best place to try him out.

As such, I'd start with Reeves on the left and Aribo as the yen as Reeves really helps us keep possession and break teams down. I also think he has a calmness about him that means he won't be over awed by the ocassion. 

............. .. Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington 
    .................... Bielik 
    ......... Cullen.............. Reeves 
    ................... Aribo 
    .......... Taylor....... Parker 

Subs: Maxwell, Pearce, Solly, Pratley, Forster-Caskey, Williams, Vetokele/Morgan 

If Igor is fit and IF he has been training in the week of start him. He's the vastly superior player. But if he's not fully fit but can play if start him on the bench. 
  • Options
    Pratley wins tackles, sure - and the ball is back with the opposition seconds later. He's almost what you'd call a flashy defensive player - does things that win applause but doesn't actually contribute to us creating chances or dominating play. If he starts, we cede the initiative from the outset. We need someone who's quicker, more skillful, more positive. Whether that's Williams, Reeves, JFC or Morgan. 

I want to see some goals for/against stats for games in which Pratley came on as a substitute this season - stats for before he came on and after. I bet they are not pretty reading 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So in all 30-League games that Pratley has been on the pitch;

We've scored 21-goals (three from him)
    We've conceded 20-goals
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Leuth said:
    Pratley wins tackles, sure - and the ball is back with the opposition seconds later. He's almost what you'd call a flashy defensive player - does things that win applause but doesn't actually contribute to us creating chances or dominating play. If he starts, we cede the initiative from the outset. We need someone who's quicker, more skillful, more positive. Whether that's Williams, Reeves, JFC or Morgan. 

I want to see some goals for/against stats for games in which Pratley came on as a substitute this season - stats for before he came on and after. I bet they are not pretty reading 
    I feel like his best performances have largely been as a sub. From the start, he's just too erratic with his use of the ball and his positional sense when sitting in front of the back four isn't great. That said, he's still a good athlete, and when he comes on against tiring teams and can really put himself about he can be quite effective, as he was on Friday. 

If you're Bowyer, I think you have to treat Friday's performance as an aberration. I know I said dropping Morgan because Friday felt a game too far for him, but I kind of felt the same about the first leg. And also, it's different with a 19 year old with 5-6 league starts than it is with the rest. And yes, it's a bit harsh on the young man who has been very, very good at times. 

I guess I expect Sunderland to sit deep and soak up the pressure. As such, I think Reeves is a great option to help break teams down. He can also score from outside the box, something that really no one else in the team apart from Taylor has really shown. And I think he looks best when he has a 10 in front of him like Aribo who is good in and around the box. 

I could also see Bowyer kind of punting on the left hand side of the diamond question and bringing in Solly to play with a back five, with Cullen and Bielik in front. It would help in dealing with the Sunderland wingers, although it doesn't seem McGeady will be fit from the start at the least. Morgan seems a decent player and Gooch is workmanlike but not spectacular. But as we saw down the left in the first half on Friday, the diamond can be weak against good wingers, especially with attacking fullbacks. I don't know that Morgan or Gooch are quite worthy of that attention, and while he's skillful even if he were to start I can't imagine McGeady as the kind of electric pace that forces a formation change. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'd go:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Cullen Bielik
    Aribo Williams
    Parker Taylor

Maxwell, Solly, Pearce, Pratley, Morgan, Lapslie, Reeves

Can't risk Page of JFC

Edit. Im assuming Igor wont be fit
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    I thought Naby looked lethargic on Friday. Someone on here said he was on a fast for Ramadan - no food or water. If that is true, it might explain the fact that he was off-form. If he's still fasting on Sunday, should he start?

If he is fasting then no I don't think he should, Pearce should take over.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    I thought he looked nervous more than anything. It's an interesting point about fasting. But I believe fasting ends at sundown, I could very well be wrong about this, but if that's the case then he could definitely have had some food and water before the game. Obviously it potentially puts him at a disadvantage, but I also can't imagine he would be allowed to play or even start if he's not drinking water. 
  • Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-for-fitness-boost-ahead-of-league-one-play-off-final-against-sunderland/

Reeves had been out injured, that explains why he wasn't in the squad. I'd be tempted to play him in place of Morgan, as he's better defensively than Morgan or Williams, but more creative than Pratley
    Ahhhhhhh that explains a lot. Did we know this? I feel like I googled him the day before the match and couldn't find anything about an injury but maybe it was Bowyer playing it close to the chest or maybe I was just missing something. 

Agree about him being better defensively than Williams and Morgan. And he's probably more tactically disciplined than those two as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-for-fitness-boost-ahead-of-league-one-play-off-final-against-sunderland/

Reeves had been out injured, that explains why he wasn't in the squad. I'd be tempted to play him in place of Morgan, as he's better defensively than Morgan or Williams, but more creative than Pratley
    Ahhhhhhh that explains a lot. Did we know this? I feel like I googled him the day before the match and couldn't find anything about an injury but maybe it was Bowyer playing it close to the chest or maybe I was just missing something. 

Agree about him being better defensively than Williams and Morgan. And he's probably more tactically disciplined than those two as well.
    News to me, I imagine it was touch and go whether he was available or not
  • Options
    I am a Reeves fan to an extent but don't believe he deserves to start a play off final. I would prefer JFC but think Bowyer has made a mistake not giving him more minutes. 
  • Options
    I'd stick with the 3-5-2. Sunderland would stretch a diamond I fear. 

I'd only make one change though - Williams in for Parker, playing just off Taylor. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Nadou said:
    I thought he looked nervous more than anything. It's an interesting point about fasting. But I believe fasting ends at sundown, I could very well be wrong about this, but if that's the case then he could definitely have had some food and water before the game. Obviously it potentially puts him at a disadvantage, but I also can't imagine he would be allowed to play or even start if he's not drinking water. 
    The game kicked off well before sundown.
  • Options
    Let’s assume Igor is out - who would you select? 

Will LB revert back to the diamond or stick with the back 5? 

Do Williams and Solly come back in?   NO

Does Pratley start following his MOM performance on Friday?   NO

Could Reeves make the bench to give us more attacking options?   NO

I trust LB but for what it’s worth I’d go for the following...

Phillips

ADS    Bauer    Sarr    Purrington

Bielik 

Cullen           Morgan

Aribo

Parker      Taylor

Subs:
    Maxwell
    Solly
    Pearce
    Pratley
    JFC
    Lapslie
    Williams

• Options

I'd be very surprised if Reeves jumps the queue ahead of Williams if Morgan is going to be replaced.
  • Options

Phillips

Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce, Purrington

Bielik

Cullen, Williams

Aribo

Parker, Taylor.

Subs: Pratley, Morgan, Maxwell, Solly, Sarr, Lapslie, Reeves/JFC/Vetokele.

• Options
    Talal said:

I'd be very surprised if Reeves jumps the queue ahead of Williams if Morgan is going to be replaced.
    But then they play in different positions, and it depends on where Bowyer wants Aribo to play

If Reeves plays, Aribo plays at the top of the diamond, if Williams plays he plays there and Aribo plays further back

Also, if Igor is still injured, then Williams may have to be the attacking cover on the bench OR if Williams plays, then Parker is the cover on the bench,  but that still leaves a space in midfield
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Maybe This is Parkers problem as well - fasting from scoring goals. 
  • Options
    It’s all very quiet on the Igor front, I’m thinking he’s going through fitness tests and training all this week with a view to a start.  I think he will make it, purely because bowyer knows it might be his last game anyway.

Phillips
    Bielik, Bauer, Sarr
    Djiksteel, Cullen, Aribo, Purrington
    Williams
    Taylor, Vetokele

The northern donkeys danger comes out wide crosses on to Wyke’s canister, with Maguire on the edge arriving late as another option, stop the supply, and we win.  Which is why we go with 3-5-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan offers something different. Reeves doesn't.
  • Options
    The big Wembley pitch will suit Williams. I'd start him rather than risk an 18 year old on a massive occasion. Other than that - same team as before.
  • Options
    I hadn't really stopped to consider it before now, but the team on Friday was really young. I would guess that 8 of the starting 11 (Phillips, Dijksteel, Purrington, Sarr, Cullen, Bielik, Aribo and Morgan) were aged around 23 and below, with only Taylor, Parker and Bauer older. Will be interesting to see if Bowyer sticks with that or brings a couple of older heads into the starting eleven such as Pearce and Pratley, or even Williams.
  • Options
    Stick with the same starting 11. Pratley did a job when we were backs to the wall in the semis but he shouldn’t be near the starting line up. I think Parker more likely to score than Williams. Reeves in for Morgan if fit, Igor for Parker if fit. Otherwise stick with the same
    starting 11.
  • Options

Very interesting that they dont say anytjing about Igors injury......just that he had a thigh injury (3 weks ago mind). I fear we wont see him on Sunday at all. If that is the case then I would put a striker from the U23's on the bench. Need someone who is a natural in that position. We've seen square pegs in round holes before & it doesnt work. 
  • Options
    I hadn't really stopped to consider it before now, but the team on Friday was really young. I would guess that 8 of the starting 11 (Phillips, Dijksteel, Purrington, Sarr, Cullen, Bielik, Aribo and Morgan) were aged around 23 and below, with only Taylor, Parker and Bauer older. Will be interesting to see if Bowyer sticks with that or brings a couple of older heads into the starting eleven such as Pearce and Pratley, or even Williams.
    The effect of pressure can't be underestimated, especially on a relatively young team. I think Bowyer will bring in one of Solly, Pearce or Pratley to add some experience on the pitch
  • Options
    Agree with you Golfie but Kennedy has gone back to Ireland, Umerah not played for anyone in 2019, Terrique Anderson disappeared off the map leaving only Wassim who while scoring goals is not classed as a striker. Anyone decent in U17s?
  • Options
    When we are at our best we play with more pace and accuracy in midfield. Morgan is an exciting prospect and has a terrific range of passing, but having Williams buzzing around unsettles opponents. It gives Aribo more time too IMO.

Sarr didn't have his best game, but it would be a massive error to drop him as some may suggest. He is an important element to when we play at our best too.

Rather than try to stop them, I think we are best trying to impose our A game on them. This isn't meant to be disrespectful, but Bowyer needs to send them out with the message to try and win by three! 
  • Options
    2nd half against Sunderland we tore them to shreds and the latter part of the first half at our place. 
    What formation did we have that day? Seem to remember Morgan having a good shot saved and it sparked us into life.
    williams made his debut and they couldn’t deal with his pace or trickery. I’d have him on the bench. If Sarr is fasting then by 3pm he’s gonna be struggling surely. Pearce for me if that’s true.
  • Options
    Would be a bit gutted for Solly if he doesn't atleast get on.