Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever cried over football

13»

Comments

• Options
    A few times. When Colin Walsh scored vs Pompey. At the end of the 98 final. Relegation against Wednesday. Yesterday I managed to keep them in. Just!
  • Options
    I blubbed.  
  • Options
    Keep watching this and start blubbing again

Love that. Brilliant stuff
  • Options
    Yep, 5th December 1992, relegation against Weds and got emotional yesterday before the game.
    Not so in 98 probably because like a previous poster said it wasn’t expected and one hell of a game that left us all shocked!
    occasionally RRR gets to me a bit before games.
  • Options
    When the players came out at The Valley in 92 and maybe a tear when we won at Liverpool. Haven’t at Wembley.
  • Options
    Although I can get emotional about football, I don’t think I have ever cried over it. 

However: Although football itself means nothing to her, my wife listened to the 1998 game on the radio and admitted she cried when we won because she knew how much it meant to me. 

You can see why I adore her can’t you?
  • Options
    I got pretty emotional when Purrington equalised. Think it was the pure relief that the game wasn't going to be settled by that goal.
  • Options
    I've never been that physically drained after a game of football! The 10pints pre-kick off and a massively heavy day at Twickenham the day before didn't help! I went back to my mates at 9 with the aim of going back out, next thing I knew it was 8am Monday morning!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've cried now on a few occasions.

When we got relegated from the Premier League, I was only young still but I cried, that hurt.

When we beat Chesterfield 3-2 at home, September 24th 2011. My nan passed away in the morning and I still went to The Valley that afternoon. I was not with it and the game is mainly a blur. I remember running down Charlton Church Lane to try and make kick off in time. Got to my seat as the referee blow the whistle to start. I remember sitting there at the end for a few minutes and it all got too much. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for Charlton, I have mentioned it on here before but my Nan was at a Charlton match when her home got bombed in WW2. That's a day I'll never forget.

When we played Hartlepool at home on the last day of the season when we won League One. The overriding emotion of pride, of happiness, relief and also loss. That season got me through a lot of tough times where I was not in a good place. Probably was the only good thing in my life at the time.

When we beat Doncaster at home, knowing we were going to Wembley, all the hard work and the rollercoaster that was that night. It was amazing and I have never seen The Valley like it. What a night.

And undoubtedly, Sunday. When Bauer scored at the very end it was madness and I haven't celebrated a goal like that before. But it was when the players were walking up to collect their medals and the trophy, Red Red Robin was playing and it all hit me. I had a cry and I am proud of it. 
  • Options
    Yeah I cried at the end of the Donny 2nd leg, and again when the whistle went for full time on Sunday. Its just overwhelming, especially when youve watched some utter toliet seasons since Duchatelet took over. I wasnt sure if Id live to see Charlton win at Wembley, and there it was in front of me. 
  • Options
    Only twice ever: 29th May 1987 after our equaliser, and 26th May 2019 whilst singing The Red Red Robin after the final whistle.
  • Options
    I have welled up in the past when a friend's name was ready out on the big screen after he passed - but didn't cry.

Last Friday against Doncaster I welled up again seeing that invasion and the elation of "We are going to Wembley" - but didn't cry

Sunday as the national anthem was sung I welled up again just out of the pure emotion.

By the time Bauer's winner went in I was in shock and unbelievably happy

At 3am the following morning I watched the whole match again...and blubbed like a baby!  Happy tears but the emotion of football is like nothing else.  It's weird as I am such a reserved person at football - not a singer or shouter and I just focus on the game,  But when we score...I sometimes lose it completely.  I am not in control of me for a few seconds.  It's wonderful.

• Options
    Bawled my eyes out , when I’d decided in the 89th minute the Game was heading for extra time , and decided to pop out to the loo, missed our 2nd goal.
    I was literally seconds away from doing it myself.  "Oh well, half an hour more to go so I might as well take a pi........drs;lghaskjgha,fn,gnkjgvhowghwe5gqjhaosiewqe!"
  • Options
    I think the only time I’ve cried was the premier league relegation at home to Spurs. I was also quite drunk which didn’t help...
  • Options
    Yes, of course. 
  • Options
    Cried like a baby. Everything we have been through as a club, it was all too much. (4 pints at the Green Man might have helped too)
  • Options
    Have already posted how my great friend died Sunday a week ago but that last minute goal this Sunday I just stood up and shouted that’s for Stan.
  • Options
    When the players came out at The Valley in 92 and maybe a tear when we won at Liverpool. Haven’t at Wembley.
    A tear ? You didn't even smile :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A tear ? You didn't even smile :smile:
    Had to get the job done. Like the balloon thing! 

I think that after Doncaster I was way too stressed. Thus decided to keep calm, level myself out so I wasn’t disappointed. Trouble is that this may have had a negative effect when we won. I think I was more reflective and relieved than anything (like a thank **** for that).

I was pretty knackered though after drinking copious amounts at a campsite the night before.

• Options
    I cried when Len Glover was transferred to Leicester City for £80,000 in November 1967.

I was only 37 at the time. (Not really I was still at school).

The only other time I can remember something getting in my eye was when my mother's name rolled up on the big screen at the fans tribute in January 2015. She'd only passed away the previous month.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Yesterday - during the chaos of the celebrations of the winning goal.

I was with my Dad, who has been my number 1 Charlton partner in crime since I was old enough to start going in the early 90s

After literally hundreds of home and away journeys over those years, that goal felt like it was the ultimate pay-off.

To have that moment - Winning a final at Wembley with the last kick of the game, and to have it with him was very special. 

Thats the sort of moment I’ve always craved with Charlton.
    Exactly the same for me Tom! I’ve never seen my dad cry at football and I have been to many many games including 98 where I was just about old enough to remember him not crying! There was something about Sunday, it was just an absolute outpour of emotion and he head in bits as well as me!!! I am just so so proud of the boys! Listening to the Charltonlive montage to the slow version of VFR set me off again on the way into work this morning!
  • Options
    My wife,son and other family members just cuddled and blubbed as the game finished.
  • Options
    Didn't cry, but don't think I've ever celebrated a goal like that before.
    I was a mess throughout the game. Couldn't sit still. Walking around constantly, didn't know what to do with myself. 
    When stakes are this high, football is nasty, scary and not even remotely pleasant to watch. It's not a game anymore.
    Had prepared myself for 2x15 and penalties. When Bauer scored, I completely lost it. Was sort of a mixture between blurriness, disbelief, relief and 100% pure happiness. I must have watched the highlights at least 50 times.