Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    shine166 said:
    How much will RD pocket from this final ?
    I was told around 2 mil, which is probably what we took for season tickets last year  
    Nothing like that. if you assume the average ticket yield per spectator was £50 after VAT, which is generous, that makes the total ticket revenue under £4m. That is before costs for the hire of Wembley and match expenses such as police and stewarding. Let’s say that is £1m for argument’s sake.

Charlton’s 12.5% share of £3m would be about £250k. The club then has to pay the players their promotion bonuses. Incidentally we’d have got a share of last year’s final revenue on the same basis, albeit that was lower. There was no huge surge in revenue. There is also some revenue from the semis.

i talked to Steve Kavanagh about this after Millwall went up via the play-off and he confirmed the income from the game isn’t that significant. It’s the increased central revenue in the Championship - about £6m extra - which is the reward for winning.

Incidentally, the season ticket revenue will be nearer £1m than £2m for 18/19.
  • Options
    Airman
    For clarity are you saying that all four teams in the play offs share the remaining 50 %? 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    shine166 said:
    I was told around 2 mil, which is probably what we took for season tickets last year  
    Nothing like that. if you assume the average ticket yield per spectator was £50 after VAT, which is generous, that makes the total ticket revenue under £4m. That is before costs for the hire of Wembley and match expenses such as police and stewarding. Let’s say that is £1m for argument’s sake.

Charlton’s 12.5% share of £3m would be about £250k. The club then has to pay the players their promotion bonuses. Incidentally we’d have got a share of last year’s final revenue on the same basis, albeit that was lower. There was no huge surge in revenue. There is also some revenue from the semis.

i talked to Steve Kavanagh about this after Millwall went up via the play-off and he confirmed the income from the game isn’t that significant. It’s the increased central revenue in the Championship - about £6m extra - which is the reward for winning.

Fair enough.  It wouldn't be right that the teams getting to the Wembley play off final made considerably more than the top two teams who went up automatically.  
  • Options
    Airman
    For clarity are you saying that all four teams in the play offs share the remaining 50 %? 
    That’s what it says on the EFL website. I think they also get a share of the 50 per cent that goes to the pool, but I haven’t looked that up to be honest.
  • Options
    I was surprised by Sunderland's attendance for their home play off semi final v Pompey.  At 27K, it was lower than any SOL league home game this season.  Seems really odd, especially as the gate for the corresponding league fixture weeks before was 41K.  I did think that given the nature of their fan base, they would out sell us at Wembley also.  I know it's a bit of a journey down to London,  and one that they've done recently for the Checkatrade Final, but this was a massive game.  Something's not right on Wearside.  
  • Options
    Airman
    That’s what it says on the EFL website. I think they also get a share of the 50 per cent that goes to the pool, but I haven’t looked that up to be honest.
    12.5% of the total gate revenue for the 5 playoff matches will still be a nice sum, especially for the losing semi finalists, and especially Doncaster who's normal ticket revenue will be the smallest of the 4 teams easily. 
  • Options
    Does the EFL pay to use Wembley? Memory serves me that they and the RFL get free use of the place.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Airman
    12.5% of the total gate revenue for the 5 playoff matches will still be a nice sum, especially for the losing semi finalists, and especially Doncaster who's normal ticket revenue will be the smallest of the 4 teams easily. 
    Might get another £150k out of the semis if you’re lucky. Average yield there will be closer to £20 per ticket, probably less. I don’t think you’ll find Charlton’s matchday revenue is that much higher in 18/19 than it was in 17/18, so yes it’s extra money but not enough to pay Igor’s wages and probably five per cent of the annual operating loss.
  • Options
    Airman
    Might get another £150k out of the semis if you’re lucky. Average yield there will be closer to £20 per ticket, probably less. I don’t think you’ll find Charlton’s matchday revenue is that much higher in 18/19 than it was in 17/18, so yes it’s extra money but not enough to pay Igor’s wages and probably five per cent of the annual operating loss.
    Is the play off pot, that gets split between EFL/4 play off teams,  just for the final itself or does it include the semi final ticket sales also?  Thought I had read that somewhere.
  • Options
    Airman
    Is the play off pot, that gets split between EFL/4 play off teams,  just for the final itself or does it include the semi final ticket sales also?  Thought I had read that somewhere.
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was surprised by Sunderland's attendance for their home play off semi final v Pompey.  At 27K, it was lower than any SOL league home game this season.  Seems really odd, especially as the gate for the corresponding league fixture weeks before was 41K.  I did think that given the nature of their fan base, they would out sell us at Wembley also.  I know it's a bit of a journey down to London,  and one that they've done recently for the Checkatrade Final, but this was a massive game.  Something's not right on Wearside.  
    Presuming Pompey might have taken a couple of thousand to Sunderland, does that mean we outsold Sunderland in both the home semi, away semi and the final? 
  • Options
    This is the end of season message from the Chairman of a club in the 11th tier of English Football:

Club News from the Chairman

I wasn't sure how the season would pan out this year after appointing Chris Hackett as Manager his ,1st role as a Manager so was a bit of a gamble but he knew the Crockenhill ethic and most Managers at the interviews just wanted to know how much the budget was but Chris knows there is no budget and up for our 3 year plan to build a good side, and we have some good young and old players taking us into the 2nd year.

Results were sometimes hard to take as 50% of the games we were much the better side but we have now found out you can have the better players but you still need the effort and desire to see the game through.

Results were better near the end of the season and a great hat trick by James Howard v Metrogas gave us the breathing space over the other side's but unfortunately they accused us of playing 2 ringers and I've spent the past month getting a case together to prove our case as losing 3 points would probably sent us down, but after a meeting on Tuesday and letting rip at the Committee they agreed we had done nothing wrong and the result stood

We took £700 through the turnstile this season a big thank you to everyone who contributed but having played 19 home games our Referees bill was £1900 so we had to find £1200 to cover their costs that's without the £1600 for your training £400 for pitch marking costs £200 for worming treatment and general Water, Petrol for mower, match day food, Electric which all has to be covered which is why we need you to support the raffles and functions that the club will be holding next season

We spent £1000 on roofing repairs of which £120 was raised by donations and the rest covered by me and another reason why the players subs are so important to the club and something I will be cracking down on in the new season it's not much to pay but every little helps

I noticed this year the most successful side's all stayed for a drink and chat after the game and generated a good team spirit and not 1 player bolted out the door after the game and sure it would help us and increase our bar takings of course

I would just like to thank a few people for their help in running the club which is gratefully appreciated Dave on the gate, Pete with the kit, Alan with the best programme and website and Sue with the canteen Saturday and Sunday and in getting the village more involved with the club and also Jade for her bar work and keeping me in check when my rough side comes out.

COME ON YOU CROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This is the end of season message from the Chairman of a club in the 11th tier of English Football:

Club News from the Chairman

I wasn't sure how the season would pan out this year after appointing Chris Hackett as Manager his ,1st role as a Manager so was a bit of a gamble but he knew the Crockenhill ethic and most Managers at the interviews just wanted to know how much the budget was but Chris knows there is no budget and up for our 3 year plan to build a good side, and we have some good young and old players taking us into the 2nd year.

Results were sometimes hard to take as 50% of the games we were much the better side but we have now found out you can have the better players but you still need the effort and desire to see the game through.

Results were better near the end of the season and a great hat trick by James Howard v Metrogas gave us the breathing space over the other side's but unfortunately they accused us of playing 2 ringers and I've spent the past month getting a case together to prove our case as losing 3 points would probably sent us down, but after a meeting on Tuesday and letting rip at the Committee they agreed we had done nothing wrong and the result stood

We took £700 through the turnstile this season a big thank you to everyone who contributed but having played 19 home games our Referees bill was £1900 so we had to find £1200 to cover their costs that's without the £1600 for your training £400 for pitch marking costs £200 for worming treatment and general Water, Petrol for mower, match day food, Electric which all has to be covered which is why we need you to support the raffles and functions that the club will be holding next season

We spent £1000 on roofing repairs of which £120 was raised by donations and the rest covered by me and another reason why the players subs are so important to the club and something I will be cracking down on in the new season it's not much to pay but every little helps

I noticed this year the most successful side's all stayed for a drink and chat after the game and generated a good team spirit and not 1 player bolted out the door after the game and sure it would help us and increase our bar takings of course

I would just like to thank a few people for their help in running the club which is gratefully appreciated Dave on the gate, Pete with the kit, Alan with the best programme and website and Sue with the canteen Saturday and Sunday and in getting the village more involved with the club and also Jade for her bar work and keeping me in check when my rough side comes out.

COME ON YOU CROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sobering but nevertheless wonderful stuff.
  • Options
    The most positive thing is that it must have been the most Charlton supporters at one match since the 1950's. I can't think of another match in my life time (and I'm 58) attended by so many Addicks. Such a shame that Duchatelet decided to turn most of them away with his ridiculous policies. Let's hope the next owner encourages all of the 38,000 that it's a club worth supporting on a more regular basis.
  • Options
    lungrot said:
    The most positive thing is that it must have been the most Charlton supporters at one match since the 1950's. I can't think of another match in my life time (and I'm 58) attended by so many Addicks. Such a shame that Duchatelet decided to turn most of them away with his ridiculous policies. Let's hope the next owner encourages all of the 38,000 that it's a club worth supporting on a more regular basis.
    1959 v Everton in the FA Cup - 44,000 at The Valley.
  • Options
    lungrot said:
    1959 v Everton in the FA Cup - 44,000 at The Valley.
    Was that the game where Willie Duff got his marching orders after stretching out Dave Hickson. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Mate, 10% of 3m is 300k, so closer to £375k if it's 12.5%...

Plus tv monies. 
  • Options
    lungrot said:
    Blackburn in 1958?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    adrian said:
    lungrot said:
    Blackburn in 1958?
    I think the crowd that day was 54,000.....a day that sadly defined our future for many years to come and possibly still does to this day.
    A very upset 10 year old with tears in his eyes and drooping shoulders was amongst the crowd.
  • Options
    adrian said:
    lungrot said:
    Blackburn in 1958?
    Good call Adrian. A long way back in history though. Charlton's unfortunate defeat to Rovers was nearer to the reign of Queen Victoria than it is to us now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

Mate, 10% of 3m is 300k, so closer to £375k if it's 12.5%...

Plus tv monies. 
    Yes, you’re right about the maths. The gross revenue also includes programmes and perimeter advertising.
    However, in respect of the final: “7.8 Income from television broadcasting of any match shall not form part of the proceeds of the match. No facility fees shall be payable to Clubs.”