Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington: Our Unsung Hero

Can't see a thread about our goalscoring left back.  His goal was absolutely vital but he doesn't seem to get the credit Ithink he deserves.

I think we need to sign him permanently for next season. From comments it sounds like he is keen. He has improved so much under JJ and Bowyer and it's no coincidence that since January our defence has been one of the best in the league.  I think Page is too injury prone to rely on, but in any case we need two left backs. I think he is on an upward curve development wise and it would be a shame to see Rotherham get the benefit.

Comments

• Options
    Think he has got better each game. Really like him and thought he was superb yesterday 
  • Options
    I'd have him perm.
  • Options
    I’m sure he will be our first signing of the new season
  • Options
    Very steady. Championship though ? Maybe.
  • Options
    Brunello said:
    I’m sure he’ll be somebody Bowyer wants to sign. But let’s not forget that the situation with us signing players for money from other clubs isn’t exactly straight forward with Roland. 

• Options
    edited May 2019
    He's the best left back we've had for years, wiggins esc.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Brunello said:
    I’m sure he’ll be somebody Bowyer wants to sign. But let’s not forget that the situation with us signing players for money from other clubs isn’t exactly straight forward with Roland. 

Money?
  • Options
    Good player who has made such a difference to us as a team and giving balance we was lacking with page injured. 
  • Options
    Given Rotherham went down they may want him to play even if they didn't think he was good enough for the Championship - proven he can do it in League One.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Under the moneyball rules so many clubs like Brentford follow, it would be a no brainer to sign him as he is only going to get better and would bring a return on any fee 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I just have a few concerns over his pace. Championship football is played at a higher tempo than league one and he doesn’t look pacey there. Pretty faultless from him since he arrived though.
  • Options
    I just have a few concerns over his pace. Championship football is played at a higher tempo than league one and he doesn’t look pacey there. Pretty faultless from him since he arrived though.
    Agreed, though considering the job he has done and, of course, yesterday’s goal - I have a weird feeling that he could be one of those players who just suits our club.

He is going to be instantly loved by the fans for yesterday alone, which will make life a lot easier for him to settle. Can see why he is “100% interested” in coming back here as he said himself yesterday after the game 
  • Options
    Ideally I'd like wing backs with pace that are dangerous going forward, but you can't ignore how consistent he's been and how he's played big part in our improvement defensively.
  • Options
    Especially as Bowyer said his first signing would be a LB
  • Options
    JJ signed for us on loan as a temporary left back and became a club legend. Purrington's goal yesterday means he will live long in fans memories.
  • Options
    Given Rotherham went down they may want him to play even if they didn't think he was good enough for the Championship - proven he can do it in League One.
    Does Purrington want to stay with Rotherham though thats the question

He's a Southern lad to begin with (coming from Plymouth) so may want to come back closer to home

Sounds like Joe Mattock is still going to be their No.1 Left-Back next season (if he stays around himself up there)

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/sport/view,boss-paul-warne-on-ben-purringtons-rotherham-united-future_31911.htm

Not to mention we're now a Championship club so if he feels more wanted here its a no brainer if a deal can be done - Its slightly different to the Nathan Byrne situation we had two years ago as on that occasion we didnt go up and Wigan came down, think had we not gone up yesterday then the same situation would probably have happened again
  • Options
    Didn’t rate him at first. Felt that he offered us nothing going forward lacking both the skill and pace necessary to act as a true wingback. Happy to eat my words after yesterday. Solid performer and seems a decent lad. I do wonder whether he is championship class but I’d have him if he was available/affordable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mr consistent... Get him tied down ASAP, he is great
  • Options
    Solly and Dijksteel at RB and Purrington and Page at LB, decent competition as long as Solly and Page can stay fit.
    Ben Purrington has fitted in like a glove and is still improving as a player.

Bert Turner, Chris Duffy, Clive Mendonca, Richard Rufus, Patrick Bauer and Ben Purrington. Wembley goal scoring legends for CAFC.
  • Options
    Would happily have him back, watching the highlights today on sky he was actually very good. Made some decent passes, defended well, was positive with the ball and most importantly scored a huge goal. 

Page is too injury prone to rely on and we haven't seen enough of him to be sure he can be our first choice left back I don't think, Purrington we have now.

All about money though isn't it. If the price is right when the emperor leaves then I'm all for it, otherwise good luck to Ben and thank you for the memories 
  • Options
    He’s been solid and has definitely improved.  Personally, I wouldn’t sign him
  • Options
    Can only echo what others have said. He started solid enough and gave us some much needed cover but he’s only got better and better in an attacking role too.

He’s 23 so he’s got plenty of room to improve further. Sign him up.
  • Options
    Very happy to sign him - a solid player.