Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington: Our Unsung Hero

2»

Comments

• Options
    Solid and dependable who done a great job for us but a bit too slow mo for me and limited going forward ,  perfect for arriving late and onside at Wembley !
    League One he would be a must for us but we’re in the Championship so I would only like him as back up .
    sort of a poor mans version of Mark Bowen , back in the day , done a job for us getting us promoted but surplus if we want to kick on a bit .

Djiksteel is a must keep for me , he’s as strong as an ox and I feel the better prospect of the two 
  • Options
    Said it on another thread but I honestly think Purrington is better than Da Silva. Everyone raves about Da Silva on here but he would cost us 3 or 4 goals every season from teams targeting his lack of height at the far post. Purrington is a better all round player to have in the team....far better defensively.
  • Options
    Said it on another thread but I honestly think Purrington is better than Da Silva. Everyone raves about Da Silva on here but he would cost us 3 or 4 goals every season from teams targeting his lack of height at the far post. Purrington is a better all round player to have in the team....far better defensively.
    Purrington is only three inches taller than Dasilva, not much in it when you consider Chris Perry was a Centre Back and really small

If anything Jay needs to work on his timing and jumping for headers
  • Options
    Strengthened the defence the minute he came in. Great signing and I hope we get him permanently.
  • Options
    Fits into this team. No fuss at all. The GOAL at Wembley underlines his attacking intent. For him to be that far forward looking for the ball, understanding the attack and anticipating the cross says everything. Possibly one of the most important goals ever scored for us - allowing the half time chat to be more balanced. Definitely deserves a contract in my book. We have a lot of unsung heroes. He is definitely one. 
  • Options
    1se7 said:
    Fits into this team. No fuss at all. The GOAL at Wembley underlines his attacking intent. For him to be that far forward looking for the ball, understanding the attack and anticipating the cross says everything. Possibly one of the most important goals ever scored for us - allowing the half time chat to be more balanced. Definitely deserves a contract in my book. We have a lot of unsung heroes. He is definitely one. 
    We saw that as well against Rochdale though - He was unfortunate not to score the second that day but it was him being in that same position as Sunday that forced Calvin Andrew (?) into scoring an own goal
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CAFCOlly said:
     He was in the right place at the right time (as a left back too!) for one of the most important goals we've scored for years. 
    He wasn't in that goalscoring position at Wembley by accident.
    Watch the way he's been overlapping, supporting and moving off the ball in recent games.

And that's down to recent coaching at Charlton.

When "Steady Eddie" arrived at Charlton in January, he was a sturdy dependable LB with a neat and tidy style of play. He shored up our vulnerable defensive left side and hardly put a foot wrong.

But he was uncomfortable getting forward. Bowyer commented on that some time ago.
    That's all changed recently.

He's regularly in support of our attack when he's got cover and gets forward confidently.
    Against Gillingham and Rochdale, he ghosted into similar goalscoring positions as at Wembley, but had goalbound shots blocked on the line. Definitely something that has recently been coached into him.

It's added another dimension to his game. One of the players Bowyer has said that we've improved this season.

I was a sceptic previously but been very impressed with the way he's developed as an attacking threat during the season, as defensively he was always solid. I'd be very happy to sign him permanently, especially as he seems a good character AND unlike Page looks like someone you can rely on to play regularly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His offensive game has improved since he arrived.
  • Options
    All I can say is that if Rotheham have a better left back at their club than Ben,he has to be some player.
    Joe Mattock who has spent most of his career in the Championship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Mattock
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    All I can say is that if Rotheham have a better left back at their club than Ben,he has to be some player.

Did I just read:

On 2 September 2009, he was charged with assaulting four people in the Churchgate area of Leicester. In July 2011, Mattock pleaded guilty to a charge of affray and on 23 October 2011 he was sentenced to ten months in prison, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £1,500 costs.

Although to be fair, 10 years ago. 

• Options
    The amount of times he has arrived at the back post and failed to put it in, well fuck me son, keep the best to last
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

Did I just read:

On 2 September 2009, he was charged with assaulting four people in the Churchgate area of Leicester. In July 2011, Mattock pleaded guilty to a charge of affray and on 23 October 2011 he was sentenced to ten months in prison, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £1,500 costs.

Our Lee has a bit of history but people change....
  • Options
    I would suggest that LB has matured, like a fine wine.
  • Options
    We'd have to buy him or hope that Rotherham needed him off the wage bill and would let him go for nothing. I can't see either happening but you never know.  
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

Did I just read:

Our Lee has a bit of history but people change....
    That was my point, Hoof_it ....... when I wrote, "Although to be fair, 10 years ago."

The player is 29 now.

• Options
    very good profile of Ben in the match programme .. he's a Wembley 'veteran' .. a good steady performer who's got better as the season has progressed .. I'd sign him permanent NOW 
  • Options
    Definitely improved and been an important player for a number of reasons including staying fit. In some ways a contender for motm in the final. Page on form and fit was very decent tho, but it’s keeping him fit. No idea if he’d cope with the Championship but that must apply to a few others in the squad too like Reeves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last few games i have seen him hes been one of the best players if not the best player on the pitch

sign him up now
  • Options
    The Rotherham manager said a couple of weeks ago that Purrington is welcome to return but Mattock will be first choice.
  • Options
    The Rotherham manager has just guided his team to relegation.

What he doesn't know, is that thanks to Bowyer's coaching team ..... Purrington is now twice the player he ever was at Rotherham.

• Options
    Rotherham will want some money for him now - but he is definitely worth buying. We could hold out for a low price I think.
  • Options
    Brilliant recruiting again by the Three Amigos.Can't recall many faults in his performances.The epitome of consistency.Would love to see him back.
    At left back.
  • Options
    Purrington has improved as the season progressed. Solid defender and has improved going forward. He's been better in the air than some of the previous left backs we've had. I hope Bowyer signs him permanently. Purrington has openly stated he would be happy to join us again and I believe we are in a strong position as Rotherham bypassed us to League One. The only stumbling block is money and also he's put himself in the shop window with some good performances which means other clubs in the Championship might come in for him.