Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Divided opinion between Sunderland fans about both our goals and who was better side

Comments

• Options
    Agree - some total bells on there - some good posters as well

However, in terms of our winning goal I think there are some refs out there who would have disallowed it due to the challenge in the box

I'm not saying I agree, just that some would have done that
    Nonsense!
    Not at all - all I am saying is that I think there are refs out there who would have blown up and said the Sunderland defender was fouled because he was smothered by the Charlton player

I can see how others would see it that way - I don't agree - but I could see it happening 
    I don’t like to even hear the remotest doubt voiced (especially by a fellow Addick), about one of the most iconic goals in Addicks history....particularly when there are likely to be Sunderland fans reading this, thus giving them tacit support for their ridiculous sour grapes claims.
    I don’t think it was anything more than the normal “rough & tumble” that goes on in the penalty box from crosses where there are quite a few players of each side.....there really was nothing in it.
    Great goal, sorry Lfh, anyone who says or infers otherwise is talking rubbish.
    We beat ‘em fair and square.

BAUER IN THE 94th!
    All I have said is that I think there are some refs who would have said it was a foul - I haven't said I think it was, because I dont 
    Lord Flashheart himself would have scored thé goal and ran off saying 'so long, suckers'. You need to change your username. Why support imaginary referees' opinions that you yourself disagree with? Odd

• Options
    If it was the other way round I would have my house on teardrops flooding the world from Charlton fans ....To me it looked a foul Pearce was all over their centre half ... 
    but it wasn’t given and that’s a massive break 

both teams were pony on the day imo and we were there for the taking half hour after we gave them the goal ... 

how many saves of note were there from either keeper ... 
    cant remember any second half 
    we looked the slightly more threatening going forward ... 
    it was all about the tension and stress and sickness of the play offs and we won in a sick manner .... love it !! 
    Cant beat the play offs !! 
  • Options
    Agree - some total bells on there - some good posters as well

However, in terms of our winning goal I think there are some refs out there who would have disallowed it due to the challenge in the box

I'm not saying I agree, just that some would have done that
    Nonsense!
    Not at all - all I am saying is that I think there are refs out there who would have blown up and said the Sunderland defender was fouled because he was smothered by the Charlton player

I can see how others would see it that way - I don't agree - but I could see it happening 
    I don’t like to even hear the remotest doubt voiced (especially by a fellow Addick), about one of the most iconic goals in Addicks history....particularly when there are likely to be Sunderland fans reading this, thus giving them tacit support for their ridiculous sour grapes claims.
    I don’t think it was anything more than the normal “rough & tumble” that goes on in the penalty box from crosses where there are quite a few players of each side.....there really was nothing in it.
    Great goal, sorry Lfh, anyone who says or infers otherwise is talking rubbish.
    We beat ‘em fair and square.

BAUER IN THE 94th!
    All I have said is that I think there are some refs who would have said it was a foul - I haven't said I think it was, because I dont 
    Lord Flashheart himself would have scored thé goal and ran off saying 'so long, suckers'. You need to change your username. Why support imaginary referees' opinions that you yourself disagree with? Odd

Thanks for your insight
  • Options
    (Naively !!) I thought posters on here would simply be interested in others take on our winner (ignoring the idiots on their website), and perhaps debate my view that there are refs out there who would have given a foul against us (which would have had us up in arms- me included)

Never mind - it was simply a discussion - nothing more - onward !!
    Nothing wrong with the thread mate, don't know why some people got a bit touchy about it. Agree there would be some refs that would've given it, thank f*ck we didn't get one of those! 
  • Options
    We were behind the goal and my son, whose a qualified ref, immediately said we'd got away with it as he thought Pearce had fouled their player in the build-up.  Its all about opinions, decisions went our way, plenty of others didn't during the season.

Rather than griping about the decision, they would be better served trying to work out why we had 2 on 1 at the back post in the 94th min!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    (Naively !!) I thought posters on here would simply be interested in others take on our winner (ignoring the idiots on their website), and perhaps debate my view that there are refs out there who would have given a foul against us (which would have had us up in arms- me included)

Never mind - it was simply a discussion - nothing more - onward !!
    Nothing wrong with the thread mate, don't know why some people got a bit touchy about it. Agree there would be some refs that would've given it, thank f*ck we didn't get one of those! 
    Swings and roundabouts. A stronger ref would have booked so many more of their players they would have been down to 9.

Having seen it several times I see it as Bauer being the player trying to play the ball and their playing trying to block him. Not a foul either way. Their player was in trouble as we were overloaded at the far post, and they had a warning moments before when Pearce ended up in a heap.

Interesting that no pundit, any of their players, their manager, or anyone I have spoken to  - including several of their supporters, have suggested or even suggested any doubt that it was a fair goal.

Lets just leave them to their grief, and if it gives them any comfort, we should have been down to six players, the 1st goal was offside, the second was a foul, offside, and after time, their goal was due to a fantastic start and pressure, all championship clubs had clubbed together to buy off the ref, you won the match, you will be in the championship once the appeal has gone through the courts, you were better than Luton and Barnsley, no one has gone on such a long unbeaten run since Huddersfield, you have great forwards.

Scrap the last one. No one is going to believe that.
  • Options
    I agree that a stronger ref would have created carnage - I felt that their players were commiting fouls all through the match and were not getting properly punished

Sunderland fans I was chatting with after match felt the same about our players, and I couldn't for the most part understand what they were going on about

This is what I gave been trying to get across - the type of ref has such an impact on a match

Similarly, as fans we have a view on what constitutes a foul (putting aside the blatant ones)

I thought the ref was weak and poor
  • Options
    I agree that a stronger ref would have created carnage - I felt that their players were commiting fouls all through the match and were not getting properly punished

Sunderland fans I was chatting with after match felt the same about our players, and I couldn't for the most part understand what they were going on about

This is what I gave been trying to get across - the type of ref has such an impact on a match

Similarly, as fans we have a view on what constitutes a foul (putting aside the blatant ones)

I actually thought that overall he was fair, tried to let the game flow, and got the vast majority of decisions right. It can be frustrating to have a player fouled when in a good position, but that does not make it a yellow. The totting up of fouls is why they started to get yellows. 
     Would give him a 9 out of 10.
  • Options
    Like to hear @PeterGage's opinion on it as I would have sent Oviedo off for diving. His only option was to go to ground.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Redrobo said:

I actually thought that overall he was fair, tried to let the game flow, and got the vast majority of decisions right. It can be frustrating to have a player fouled when in a good position, but that does not make it a yellow. The totting up of fouls is why they started to get yellows. 
     Would give him a 9 out of 10.
    And that's one of the fantastic things about football - we both watched same game, but see the ref performance differently 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Like to hear @PeterGage's opinion on it as I would have sent Oviedo off for diving. His only option was to go to ground.
    Whilst I can't recall the incident you are referring to, diving is a cautionable, not sending off, offence.
  • Options
    Webbja77 said:
    Who gives a f*** what they think. We are and we’re the better side all season, so now f*** off and enjoy another season in league one😜
    That's very questionable. They took 4 points off us and I think i'm right in saying the only time we were above them all season was after the last game?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    PeterGage said:
    Addickted said:
    Whilst I can't recall the incident you are referring to, diving is a cautionable, not sending off, offence.
    I know you like a drink or two @PeterGage, but to not recall the winning goal in the last seconds of a play off final 3 days ago is impressive.
    I didnt say I missed the winning goal, I said I missed the dive you refer to -:)
  • Options
    It's funny he kept spelling "Bransley" 😂
  • Options
    Pretty sure that Morpeth guy is a Newcastle fan on a wind up
  • Options
    I think you might be right. 
  • Options
    brilliant wind up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think "bran" in Mackemland is slang for food, so hence the spoonerism
  • Options
    Isn't that scran?
  • Options
    I haven't rewatched the game, but soon after the o.g. there was a penalty shout for them which I think would have been given if VAR had been involved, based on some of those that have been given since its introduction. 
  • Options
    No collusion, no obstruction. Fake views.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I haven't rewatched the game, but soon after the o.g. there was a penalty shout for them which I think would have been given if VAR had been involved, based on some of those that have been given since its introduction. 
    May I suggest you watch the game again and see if you can spot a clear and obvious error.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Uboat said:
    May I suggest you watch the game again and see if you can spot a clear and obvious error.
    May I suggest you re-read my short post. Actually forget it, I'll help you, 'based on some of those that have been given since its introduction'. 
  • Options
    Isn't that scran?
    Yes I think you are right. Perhaps he is just dyslexic.
  • Options
    Having watched the whole game again recently in the cold light of day, we were the better side over all. They had a couple of spells (particularly after going one up) but Dillon only really had one save to make. We were turning the screw right up to the second goal, and Williams coming on and running at them was key here. Even if it had gone to extra time, I still reckon we’d have got the next goal. Actually rewatching it in a less emotional state, we played well for the most part, and you can see why Sunderland’s season nosedived over the last month or so - lack of goals and goal scoring opportunities. As was posted elsewhere they only scored one goal over 3 play off matches (and 2 if you count the OG) whereas we managed 6.