Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Re-Sign or Not? (full list of players out of contract)

13»

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'd re-sign literally anyone given I believe we currently only have the following - of those with first team minutes - under contract:

GK - Phillips (2021)
    RB - Dijksteel (2020) / Solly (2020)
    CB - Pearce (2020)
    CB - Sarr (2020)
    LB - Page (2020)
    CM - Pratley (2020)
    CM - Lapslie (2021)
    CM - Maloney (2020)
    CF - Taylor (2020)
    So you would resign Ajose, Marshall and Fosu? Recco? 
    Yes. That way we'd actually have some players. Obviously we have a couple of months until that goes on but even so, I don't want us in a position where we're unable to field something resembling a full first team on the opening day, like last year.
    We were short against Sunderland as Bowyer decided to wait for Bielik and Cullen (and Ward). Not ideal but I'd rather wait and sign the right players rather than just go for anybody
    This is understandable, but we have so few at the minute that I'm getting a bit panicky, even though we've not finished May yet. It certainly wasn't anything near this last year.
    Of the 18 that where in the match day squad against Shrewsbury 8 never played for us again. 3 of the others were Ajose, Fosu and JFC.  I would suggest that we are actually in a slightly better place as well as being in a higher league.  
  • Options
    For me, the midfield is the best I’ve seen since the Premier days.

Bielik
    Cullen, Aribo
    Williams

We cannot lose all four would be suicide, need at least two of them to stay to maintain the spirit and momentum of this season.  Cullen and Bielik not tried and tested in championship and both seem happy here, Williams also, Aribo probably most likely to go.
    Agreed. That midfield would be pretty good in Championship. I can only see Williams possibly staying tho.
    I think Lapslie and Morgan will have to step up and in my opinion could both have important season for us.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Chris Maxwell No
    Ben Purrington Yes
    Chris Solly Yes but he is fast becoming a role model than a starter
    Jake Forster-Caskey Yes
    Josh Cullen Yes
    Jonny Williams Yes
    Ben Reeves No
    Tariq Fosu Last season he would have been top of my list to stay not sure what has happened, but he is now a no.
    Mark Marshall No
    Igor Vetokele Yes, but hopefully as a third striker
    Josh Parker No
    This 
  • Options
    Chris Maxwell - No idea
    Ben Purrington - Yes
    Chris Solly - N/A
    Jake Forster-Caskey (dont know enough about JFC)
    Josh Cullen - Yes
    Jonny Williams - Yes
    Ben Reeves - (Dont know enough about Reeves)
    Tariq Fosu - No
    Mark Marshall - No
    Igor Vetokele - No
    Josh Parker - Yes (his work rate is excellent, squad player)

• Options
    Is Morgan out of contract?
  • Options
    Chris Maxwell - no
    Ben Purrington - yes
    Chris Solly - yes
    Jake Forster-Caskey - yes
    Josh Cullen - yes
    Jonny Williams - yes
    Ben Reeves - yes
    Tariq Fosu - no
    Mark Marshall - no
    Igor Vetokele - yes
    Josh Parker - no
    Kristian bielik - yes
    Joe aribo - yes
    Pat bauer - yes
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Don't think so.
  • Options
    Don't forget, very important to extend Taylor & Sarr's contracts by a year.
  • Options
    Chris Maxwell - no idea, never seen him play, doubt he’d want to

Ben Purrington - yes unless Bowyer thinks we can do better

Chris Solly - not out of contract but yes, important to keep a few characters like Solly and Pearce around, even if they’re not regulars

Jake Forster-Caskey - yes if fit enough

Josh Cullen - yes, should be on the assume list with Bauer, Aribo and Bielik

Jonny Williams - yes

Ben Reeves - probably yes for squad depth

Tariq Fosu - no

Mark Marshall - no

Igor Vetokele - no, think we need someone less likely to be injured

Josh Parker - no
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Christ, I knew we had a few decent players out of contract but didn’t realise it was quite that many! 
    If you add in BFG, Aribo and Bielek, it is almost 60% of the whole first team! Not to mention our manager, asst manager and GK coach.
    Why is everyone we like out of contract but the owner still here? The exact opposite would be nice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Christ, I knew we had a few decent players out of contract but didn’t realise it was quite that many! 
    If you add in BFG, Aribo and Bielek, it is almost 60% of the whole first team! Not to mention our manager, asst manager and GK coach.
    Why is everyone we like out of contract but the owner still here? The exact opposite would be nice.
    I honestly can’t think of another club where this has happened at such a drastic level after an incredibly successful season. Astonishing 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    I honestly can’t think of another club where this has happened at such a drastic level after an incredibly successful season. Astonishing 
    Indeed. It’s just a ridiculous situation. 
  • Options
    The good thing about so many players out of contract, if the owner backed his manager, is that Bow could mould his team yje way he wants to. Powell had a similar situation before his first full season and look where that got him.  Unfortunately, Bow does not have that support, nor does the owner have any ambition for the club.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Don't think so.
    Nah I know he's not, I noticed he was missing from the players with first team experience post.
  • Options
    I feel like Cullen is criminally underrated by some fans, that boy is absolutely mustard.

I'd argue that a major issue with our midfield over the past few years is that we never had anyone who could get the ball going forwards. So often we would get bogged down with side passes or back passes in the first third of the pitch, however Cullen is much more dynamic then that.

Lots of what we do good goes through him.

Agree.

Cullen has been outstanding since joining us and his work rate is immense.
    He promotes positive movement on the pitch and isn’t shy of the odd tackle or two
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cullen has just tweeted basically saying thank you & goodbye ...
    He's always a Hammer at heart. 

You know how it is ...... fan, been at West Ham since he was 8 years old, came through the ranks, local lad.

He believes he has the chance to play for his West Ham in the Prem next season.
    It's his ambition.

What if by end of summer they decide he is not ready? I think there is a strong chance of that. Maybe we get one more year on loan. Keeping fingers crossed but happy for him if he goes.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Lots of posts missing out Bielik, who I think would be massive to keep, superb player
  • Options
    FYI, here are the yes/no votes on all players listed. It appears Solly is til 2020, so I removed him from the totals. But the vote so far was 21-2 to keep.
    I only counted votes that were clear "yes" or "no." Those (and there were many) for Igor and JFC were "dependent" on things like pay scale and injury, but I left those out.
    Chris Maxwell... 6 yes, 11 no
    Ben Purrington...17 yes, 2 no
    Jake Forster-Caskey.... 20 yes, 2 no
    Josh Cullen.... 19 yes, 1 no
    Jonny Williams.... 22 yes, 1 no
    Ben Reeves.... 9 yes, 10 no
    Tariq Fosu.... 2 yes, 20 no
    Mark Marshall..... 1 yes, 22 no
    Igor Vetokele.... 7 yes, 12 no
    Josh Parker.... 3 yes, 17 no

• Options
    IR94 said:
    Lots of posts missing out Bielik, who I think would be massive to keep, superb player
    He, Aribo and BFG were assumed 100% yes to re-sign, so I did not even bother to list them.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Got to be realistic about it based on our situation, a lot of these players we need. They know the club and Bowyer knows how to get the best out of them, we may spend another season without spending a transfer fee.

Chris Maxwell: 
    No idea, we didn't see him play once did we? Could command a big wage and I don't think he fit in with our group like other bit part players did such as Marshall and Reeves. I'll go with no

Ben Purrington:

100% yes if possible. Wants to be here, solid player and clearly built a good rapport with the squad.

Chris Solly:

100% yes. Mr Charlton, knows the league and isn't quite as finished as people make out, would be more than adequate as a back up defender over the course of a long season.

Jake Forster-Caskey:

Yes. As above previous championship player, we know how well he can play on his day and as long as he can avoid injury I think he can really push on with us.

Josh Cullen:

Yes but out of our hands, even if he doesn't make it at West Ham promotion contenders may have their eyes on him.

Jonny Williams:

Yes, he is quality. Injury prone but if he wasn't he would be at a higher level 

Ben Reeves:

Yes, again long season. Reeves always puts in a shift for us, is a smart player and we could be very short on midfield options.

Tariq Fosu:

Unfortunately probably no. Clearly Bowyer doesn't rate him and he doesn't fit our playstyle. If he could somehow get a fire lit under his arse it would be amazing but I can now see why Reading let him go.

Mark Marshall:

Sadly no. Clearly a top bloke and seems like a good bloke to have around for morale but that's not enough. He never amounted to what we thought he could and he won't get any better. 

Igor Vetokele:

I would say yes but I don't see him taking the wage cut. I think we have seen his best days and he has lost his frightening pace he had when we first acquired him but I still think there is a player there. Like Reeves adapted his game play. 

Josh Parker: 

No. Will always appreciate his efforts for us, in the play off finals he brought the ball down well a few times and kept the ball in play. But ultimately it's someone on the wages who can't finish, isn't very quick, can't beat a man and doesn't really link up the play very well. 

After that we need to look at the freebies I would say. The aim for this season coming should be to solidify. Have a steady season and stay up. Players like Solly, Purrington and Reeves might not be good enough for a promotion charge no, but they are certainly good enough to put up a fight which is what I expect us to be in