Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flashback 74/75 pitch invasion

Comments

• Options
    Great stories
  • Options
    The Preston game is the only game my mum has ever been to.she is 89 btw. 
    She came to that game to make sure me and my brother behaved ourselves as we were due in court the next day.
    Mixed emotions that night  and unfortunately we never made the pitch. 
    Unlike Chesterfield.....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I was 19 at the time. Can still picture it in my minds eye.

Terrific celebrations - it seems half the crowd ran on to the pitch ecstatic.
    We carried on singing, then chanting for the players to come out again ..... and after a while, they all appeared in the Director's box of the grandstand. And the celebrations started all over again.

Afterwards, many of us then went in The Valley Club and after a while the players came in mixing and chatting with us. 

A couple of weeks later, team and supporters flew off together to Tunisia for a mini-football tournament.
    But that's another story.

Hi Oggy .. I was in Tunisia too ... cant remember if that was the one with Millwall. Bournemouth and Swindon in the tournament got a pic somewhere of everyone on the beech.
    Hi Davone,

Yes, it was,

You'll remember we all flew over on the plane together, players and supporters, from a then very rustic Luton airport.
    I've got a black & white pic too, taken in the hotel grounds with all the party mixed in together.

It was at the Sahara Beach Hotel, in Monastir - where a bomb exploded about 10 years later.

I can't remember much about the football tournament though.

Charlie Williams, the comedian, sat next to me in the plane going out.
    And Arthur Horsfield all the way back.

Wish I'd written down all the stories both of them told me!

That’s it it was called the Sahara beach tournament I was only talking to someone the other day about Luton airport  it was literally a shack. I’m sure I’ve got couple of photos somewhere of the tour I’ll  post them if I find them .. remember Arthur a gentleman like most of the players ..think harry redknapp was there too or someone like him tried to flog me a camel 
  • Options
    1was13 at the time but does anyone else remember Killer being carried off at the final whistle ? I remember going on the pitch and killer being carried off and telling me to F off out the way !! Still my hero though. The Doncaster atmosphere will live in my memory for ever , never felt more in love with Charlton than that Friday night.
  • Options
    I would have been 13 too and I also ran on the pitch. We all ran on the pitch after every game in those days. I've still got a scrapbook with reports from the match and Preston definitely played in all white. A few days later I went to the London 5-A-sides at Wembley Empire Pool and we won that too. A brilliant week. Just looked up the table and we only got the equivalent of 77 points that season to finish third.
  • Options
    My first match age 9, and thats why i love this club, killer got sent off at the end and missed the opening 2 games of the following season, we lost to notts county the first home match, not so impressed with george hope.
  • Options
    I was thirteen. A couple of teachers took me with them and took me on the pitch. I too planted the clump of valley grass in my mum’s garden.  Remember flags in the covered end that night. There was a red and white chequered flag at the play off semi. Made me believe it was going to be our night. If memory serves me right, I think beating Blackburn - who finished top - was another great game that season.
  • Options
    I was 14, there with my big sister. Down at the front of the covered end (sister up the back). After Bob Curtis missed the penalty in the first half a Preston player called him a w***** right in front of me,  and I remember thinking this very unfair! Ran on the pitch at the end, but this wasn't enough for big sister - so we scrambled up over the West Stand seats to get up to the players celebrating. Still have the 2 programmes with various signatures - certainly my most prized.
  • Options
    A bit like The Mount, I've never managed to find a photo of the match and / or the pitch invasion - the one of the players having a drink after seems to be the sole photo....
  • Options
    Just 9 but what I do remember is that I almost didn't go as I trod on a nail and was limping at the time, but I managed and glad I did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was 21 and remember it vividly. That's the trouble with getting old - you remember things that happened 45 years ago, but can't remember what you had for breakfast.
  • Options
    She came to that game to make sure me and my brother behaved ourselves as we were due in court the next day.
    I have to ask - due in Court on what charges and did you get found guilty ?
  • Options
    I was 15 at the time. The covered end was so packed, every time someone farted, there was a terrace surge. From memory, we attacked the covered end in the first half, which was unusual in those days. 1-0 down at half time, I think. Bobby Curtis missed the penalty but the second half was business as usual. No fences or deterrents to prevent you getting onto the pitch. Just a little red, waist high set of railings. I was virtually able to step over and get onto the pitch where the celebrations seemed to last for ages. Knees up mother brown was a a favourite covered end song in 1975 and boy did we give it go ... happy days
  • Options
    Watched that one from the Covered End and joined practically everyone else on the pitch at the end. Being Charlton, we never do it the easy way - losing 1-0 at half time to a long range strike from Tony Colman (the ex-Man City guy ?) and then missing a penalty on the stroke of half time. In the end, of course, it only made it sweeter, with Killer’s late brace securing his cult status.

Amazing to think that this is the only one of our 7 post-war promotions that was sealed at The Valley. I thought we were going to do it in 2000, but we couldn’t edge past Pompey.

I remember that Bobby Charlton was back at The Valley (where he had made his debut nearly 20 years before) as Preston’s player manager, although he didn’t pick himself for this one. It proved to be one of his last games in charge.
  • Options
    Loved that evening at the Valley. One other thing that struck me that night was the absolute silence that fell over the Valley when Preston scored, I have never experienced such total silence, albeit for probably only 15 seconds, at a game since. 
  • Options
    74/75 was the first season I had a season ticket. My Dad had taken me when I was four, sat me on the wall at the top of the East Terrace and as we hadn’t missed a game for ten years decided we’d have a season ticket in the West Stand. It was a great season and I got to see all the action close up.

The Preston game was my first taste of ‘glory’. And typically we did it the Charlton way - 1-0 down at half time, missed penalty. The scenes at the end were amazing. The only previous pitch invasion I can remember was the FA Cup win at Palace a few seasons previously when I think Charlie Wright was chaired off by Charlton fans. 

A memorable night finished with a bottle of champagne when we got home.
  • Options
    Telling Roland  Gliksten to F*** Off.

Leopards don't change their spots you know.  :smile:

• Options
    I was there with my dad and younger brother, I would of been about age ten. This was my  second season, I can still remember that night being carried up from Floyd Road by the jubilant crowd. Also remember going to the previous home match against Bury FC when a win would have probably seen us up if I remember. A 1-0 defeat to a goal by Derek Spence made the Preston match a bigger event.
  • Options
    Bury game was the only football game my mum attended. 
  • Options
    Rambo is like a bear you want to cuddle, he'd not hurt a fly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Football related shite. 
    And yes I was found guilty. 
  • Options
    Football related shite. 
    I'm not believing that.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Football related shite. 
    I'm not believing that.
    Is exactly what the magistrates fuckin said
    :D

I'd ask for a retrial.
  • Options
    A bit like The Mount, I've never managed to find a photo of the match and / or the pitch invasion - the one of the players having a drink after seems to be the sole photo....
    This always bugged me. There was a picture taken from the main stand of everyone on the pitch which was in a handbook the following year, the only other picture was a shot of Phil Warman I think punching the air. Never seen pictures of the goals, missed penalty or anything. As it was the last home game of the season there was no following weeks programme to put them in so I suppose they never saw the light of day.

• Options
    This always bugged me. There was a picture taken from the main stand of everyone on the pitch which was in a handbook the following year, the only other picture was a shot of Phil Warman I think punching the air. Never seen pictures of the goals, missed penalty or anything. As it was the last home game of the season there was no following weeks programme to put them in so I suppose they never saw the light of day.

In my Charlton scrapbook I have some newspaper articles about this match - includes photo of Goldthorpe heading his goal, players in changing room celebrating - my late Dad had cut them out in 1975 and kept them (bless him) - gave them to me

Trouble is I can't put photos on the forum from my iPhone anymore - will have to do via computer at w/e
  • Options
    Bury game was the only football game my mum attended. 
    Jinx
  • Options

In my Charlton scrapbook I have some newspaper articles about this match - includes photo of Goldthorpe heading his goal, players in changing room celebrating - my late Dad had cut them out in 1975 and kept them (bless him) - gave them to me

Trouble is I can't put photos on the forum from my iPhone anymore - will have to do via computer at w/e
    Actually, to totally contradict myself, I think there was a picture of Goldthorpes goal, probably in the Kentish Independent. 

Never realised that it was our only post war promotion that was sealed at The Valley either. It can only be because Carlisle weren't in the 3rd division that year :-)
  • Options

Never realised that it was our only post war promotion that was sealed at The Valley either. It can only be because Carlisle weren't in the 3rd division that year :-)
    That's a good point. All 3 of our Carlisle promotion games were away.

• Options

Actually, to totally contradict myself, I think there was a picture of Goldthorpes goal, probably in the Kentish Independent. 

I remember the photo of everyone on the pitch it was taken from above the tunnel ,my late father had a print of it . I’ll see if my sister has still got as she’s the great hoarder in the family. If she has I’ll post it.( be in a week or so) I would of thought the picture of the goals etc would of been published in the program of the first home game of the following season .