Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flashback 74/75 pitch invasion

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    A bit like The Mount, I've never managed to find a photo of the match and / or the pitch invasion - the one of the players having a drink after seems to be the sole photo....
    This always bugged me. There was a picture taken from the main stand of everyone on the pitch which was in a handbook the following year, the only other picture was a shot of Phil Warman I think punching the air. Never seen pictures of the goals, missed penalty or anything. As it was the last home game of the season there was no following weeks programme to put them in so I suppose they never saw the light of day.

The main issue is how dark it was at night games in those days due to the inferior quality of the floodlights, and presumably camera technology. It made it difficult to get decent pictures.
  • Options
    Nice work, Ashers.

• Options
    Who else was bonkers enough to read the match report cutting?

Did you see Mark Lawrenson was playing for Preston Both Ends that night?

• Options
    Great pics. I’m in the first one somewhere. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Who else was bonkers enough to read the match report cutting?

Did you see Mark Lawrenson was playing for Preston Both Ends that night?

Yup 
  • Options

• Options
    Ashers said:
    Found my old scrapbook - I was 8 at the time, happy days! Hope the attachments work. 
        Great pics . ashers

Btw.. the main gates were finally locked at
        4am .

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Superb memory.  I was 11 and it is vivid in my mind to this day.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Addickted said:
    I got the worst shits of my life at the Sahara Beach.

Never made it back to the room and just let go in the lift.
    To this day, the “Out of Order” sign still hasn’t been removed!
    Horrified staff at the time gave it a nickname which has stuck over the years and it’s still known as ........al’iinkliziu mukhzin hinta....“The Englishman’s Lift”.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    For those too young to have seen them, or too old to remember their names, here's the glorious 1974/75 squad 

16 players, extremely tough tackling by today’s standards expected and the resulting bruises, pitches like potato patches by Christmas, games played on consecutive days at Easter
  • Options

And they painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs ... Lowry was a Charlton fan 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    For those too young to have seen them, or too old to remember their names, here's the glorious 1974/75 squad 

16 players, extremely tough tackling by today’s standards expected and the resulting bruises, pitches like potato patches by Christmas, games played on consecutive days at Easter
      Yeah some of the pitches were mud baths (remember the baseball ground Derby )
    Charlton in those days had one of the best playing surfaces in the football league courtesy of the late Maurice Banham ,a great grounds man who always had a smile on his face.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

And they painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs ... Lowry was a Charlton fan 
          That’s exactly what I thought !
  • Options
    Guilty...even took a clump of grass and replanted in my dads house where I lived in gravesend. Still there today as far as I know. Dad is a keen gardener.