Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Braziers, Chestnuts on the East Terrace?

Recent events with CAFC got myself and a few mates talking. They all started following Charlton later then me and I was explaining that in the early 1970's a 5000 crowd was about normal at The Valley.

I also told them that I remembered for mid week games the East Terrace having braziers dotted around it with small groups of supporters huddled around them for warmth. I think some of them were used to roast chestnuts and peanuts to be sold. After recounting this memory, they looked at me as if I was a bit mad.

So were there ever braziers on the East terrace for supporters to gather around?

Comments

• Options
    Usually at the corner of Floyd rd and Charlton church lane. I can't remember any on the terraces.
  • Options
    Not that I recall but I was in the Covered End in those days 
  • Options
    Usually at the corner of Floyd rd and Charlton church lane. I can't remember any on the terraces.
    Yes I remember that 
  • Options
    Can't recall braziers on the terraces .... but as others have said, definitely on the street on Floyd Road.

I remember the peanut man used to walk the terraces during the game, "Peanuts, tanner a bag" he would call out, back in the 60s. Elderly fella flogging small white paper bags prepacked with a few ounces of peanuts.

A tanner, of course, was slang for the old sixpenny bit (worth 2 and a half pence in 'new money').

• Options
    Yep 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Ditto

But the peanut man came round flogging bags of peanuts in the crowd. (Edit: as just mentioned by Oggy).
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    tallboy said:
    Recent events with CAFC got myself and a few mates talking. They all started following Charlton later then me and I was explaining that in the early 1970's a 5000 crowd was about normal at The Valley.

I also told them that I remembered for mid week games the East Terrace having braziers dotted around it with small groups of supporters huddled around them for warmth. I think some of them were used to roast chestnuts and peanuts to be sold. After recounting this memory, they looked at me as if I was a bit mad.

So were there ever braziers on the East terrace for supporters to gather around?
    Absolutely not tallboy, no way whatsoever ........we did have such a thing as Health & Safety regs back in the day you know.
    Braziers with roasted Chestnuts (not roasted peanuts), were only seen on the way down from the station......as early as the late 50’s to my certain knowledge and almost certainly well before that.
    Pre bagged roasted peanuts were sold on the terraces by the now legendary white coated (so you could spot him easily), Adam the peanut man, from a large wicker basket which he carried himself.......they were a tanner a bag!
    Although roasted, they certainly weren’t hot.

”PEANUTS, FRESH ROASTED, TANNER A BAG” was his most common cry....though there were a number of slight variations.
  • Options

Scurvy and rickets as well. Nostalgia aint what it used to be!

I'm being facetious of course - not like me.

I've been going to The Valley since 1964 and have never seen braziers on the terraces - outside most definitely.

• Options

Isn't Memory a weird, wonderful and unreliable thing. Looks like I'm mixing up the Peanut guy, chestnut braziers on the way to the ground, freezing my nuts off (not chestnuts!) and Chelsea fans setting bits of the ground alight in '77.

I remember the Chelsea game well. Going with a mate by '77 as a 13 year old to a midweek match, not sure many parents would let that happen now. Still can recall the panic me and him felt as a few thousand mental Chelsea supporters came running towards us after we went 3-0 up and me in a red/white scarf! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember the peanut man on the East Terrace up until it shut I guess
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The guy selling the peanuts used to alternate between The Valley and The Den.
  • Options
    I used to stand on the East terrace about halfway up level with the halfway line with my Dad and I honestly cannot recall seeing braziers on the terrace.
  • Options
    Remember the tanner a bag man,and hot chestnuts outside in floyd road,but dont recall braziers in the ground
  • Options
    Percy Dalton peanuts
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I don’t remember braziers on the terraces and I started going 60 years ago, but I do remember braziers on the pitch in the winter 62/63, in an effort to get some football played between Boxing Day and early March, (it wasn’t successful) wonder if they were transferred onto the terraces to in an effort to defrost them.

Certainly remember roasted chestnuts nuts being sold roughly were the club shop is now and the famous peanut seller, also the half time scores being put up with the old type number that used to be used for cricket scores boards,
  • Options
    How about the newspaper guy outside after the game? "All yer 3.30 winners and yer halftimes!"
  • Options
    Remember the peanut man very well. After the match you could see dozens of piles of monkey nut shells scattered all around the East Terrace as the 'crowd' departed.
  • Options
    I remember when a wild clearance from Paul Went flew high up into the East Terrace and hit the peanut man. as he walked along selling them.
  • Options
    tallboy said:

”PEANUTS, FRESH ROASTED, TANNER A BAG” was his most common cry....though there were slight variations.
    indeed there were, hence my user name  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reminiscing always brings back the smells of the Valley,

Roasting chestnuts 
    Peanut shells 
    Beer
    Fags
    Piss
  • Options
    Reminiscing always brings back the smells of the Valley,

Roasting chestnuts 
    Peanut shells 
    Beer
    Fags
    Piss
    White Horse oil
  • Options
    I also saw the peanut guy at spurs. He is a legend . “ all yer 3 fertee winners and yer arf times “ was sold on the terracing too .
    There was also the boys selling chocolate etc from trays around the pitch side. Does anyone remember the elephant paraded around the pitch . Stupid idea 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I also remember young lads that walked around the outside of the pitch at half time holding up blackboards with something chalked up on them - may have been lucky numbers. As they passed by, other kids would chuck things at them, such as peanuts or rolled up paper. Nothing malicious and no-one complained, it was all part and parcel of football in the late 50's and early 60's. 
    Today, you would get lifetime bans for doing this. Happy days!
    God, I'm getting old(er).

• Options
    And the fireworks lit by fans during home matches and tossed about, in the week or so before Guy Fawkes Night.

No flares back then. But plenty of bangers and an occasional Aerial Bombshell.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    And the fireworks lit by fans during home matches and tossed about, in the week or so before Guy Fawkes Night.

Plenty of them thrown at us during the 4-4 draw at Burnley many years back. 
  • Options
    Flares were worn in them days.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Oggy Red said:

Ah, yeah that 4-4 draw at Burnley ...... Charlton leading 4-1 with about 10 minutes to go.

• Options
    tallboy said:

Isn't Memory a weird, wonderful and unreliable thing. Looks like I'm mixing up the Peanut guy, chestnut braziers on the way to the ground, freezing my nuts off (not chestnuts!) and Chelsea fans setting bits of the ground alight in '77.

I remember the Chelsea game well. Going with a mate by '77 as a 13 year old to a midweek match, not sure many parents would let that happen now. Still can recall the panic me and him felt as a few thousand mental Chelsea supporters came running towards us after we went 3-0 up and me in a red/white scarf! 

My Dad worked in The Valley Club at the time and had to take shelter there while the windows were all smashed in.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    Oggy Red said:

Ah, yeah that 4-4 draw at Burnley ...... Charlton leading 4-1 with about 10 minutes to go.

and we could have lost!