Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Contract Updates 30/05/19 - Released and Retained

Comments

• Options
    How did we afford Williams’ wages for 6 months?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Good to see Cawley has confirmed what we suspected with Fosu. Let's hope Fosu doesn't sign the damn contract and strain the wage bill out of spite. He'll want to get his career back on track and I wouldn't be surprised if he like Reeves also turns up at Oxford.

So that just leaves Bauer, Aribo, JFC and the door also open for Williams. Happy with this to be honest, Bowyer's been ruthless and he sounds confident he can bring in the players he wants.

It also sounded like from Bowyer's words that we may see Cullen and Bielik back as he mentioned the loan signings would be late like last season. That to me says he knows who he wants and he'll be waiting for the clubs to announce if either will be in their respective squads for this season.

Interesting times this summer. Let's hope we see positive news with Aribo and Bauer in particular. I'm convinced JFC will sign his new contract as i'm not sure anyone else in The Championship would put a deal on the table for him given his recent injury.
    I don’t think the door is really open for Williams if we haven’t even bothered to offer him a contract. 
    It's open for Williams, read Bowyer's comments, I just don't think Bowyer expects Williams to stay when he'll probably be offered a much better deal elsewhere.
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Because Palace effectively paid up his contract (at a guess they paid 75% and we paid 25%)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Good to see Cawley has confirmed what we suspected with Fosu. Let's hope Fosu doesn't sign the damn contract and strain the wage bill out of spite. He'll want to get his career back on track and I wouldn't be surprised if he like Reeves also turns up at Oxford.

So that just leaves Bauer, Aribo, JFC and the door also open for Williams. Happy with this to be honest, Bowyer's been ruthless and he sounds confident he can bring in the players he wants.

It also sounded like from Bowyer's words that we may see Cullen and Bielik back as he mentioned the loan signings would be late like last season. That to me says he knows who he wants and he'll be waiting for the clubs to announce if either will be in their respective squads for this season.

Interesting times this summer. Let's hope we see positive news with Aribo and Bauer in particular. I'm convinced JFC will sign his new contract as i'm not sure anyone else in The Championship would put a deal on the table for him given his recent injury.
    I don’t think the door is really open for Williams if we haven’t even bothered to offer him a contract. 
    It's open for Williams, read Bowyer's comments, I just don't think Bowyer expects Williams to stay when he'll probably be offered a much better deal elsewhere.
    I’m just surprised we didn’t offer him a contract if we would like him to stay. Maybe an off the record conversation happened and it was made clear he wouldn’t accept what we’re offering.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up, massive injury problems and didn’t exactly set the world on fire  with us (great performance for half an hour at Wembley though). Possibly his market isn’t quite as big as he thinks it is. 
  • Options
    So Fosu offered a contract to turn down; Aribo highly unlikely to sign, Bauer 50/50 at best.  Could end up with just Forster Caskey and a massive rebuilding which simply is not possible if RD is still holding the purse strings. It is going to be a long season i suspect
  • Options
    So Fosu offered a contract to turn down; Aribo highly unlikely to sign, Bauer 50/50 at best.  Could end up with just Forster Caskey and a massive rebuilding which simply is not possible if RD is still holding the purse strings. It is going to be a long season i suspect
    I personally think Bauer will sign. 
  • Options
    Guessing we had to release so many to compete with the wages being offered by other championship clubs for Aribo and Bauer. Makes sense, quality over quantity, I would swap all the released players just to keep one of them let alone both. 

Ditto what everyone else has said, long season. Imagine the buzz if the emperor sold us, we could spring board off that kind of momentum and be in the premier league in 3 seasons imo
  • Options
    You say that but if these players can get better money elsewhere and are thinking about signing for us for less they might want to know who were thinking of signing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like him to, but didn't he effectively come out at some point over this season and say he would sign a new contract with us?
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Because Palace effectively paid up his contract (at a guess they paid 75% and we paid 25%)
    I believe it was nearer 100%/0%
  • Options
    I still think the lads we’ve offered new contracts to, won’t sign. Come the the hour, cometh the Bauer, better than Semedo Aribo will get better deals elsewhere. They’ll be snapped up by established Championship clubs, IMO. Bowyer and Gallen will have their work cut out trying to attract better players on Charlton wages. I think we’ll have a team largely made up  of loanees (within the rules, of course)

what is a bonus though is LB is talking about the players he needs for the new season. Which could mean, his contract has been sorted? 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Guessing we had to release so many to compete with the wages being offered by other championship clubs for Aribo and Bauer. Makes sense, quality over quantity, I would swap all the released players just to keep one of them let alone both. 

Ditto what everyone else has said, long season. Imagine the buzz if the emperor sold us, we could spring board off that kind of momentum and be in the premier league in 3 seasons imo
    Depends who the emperor is selling us to imo
  • Options
    Offering Fosu a deal, probably means we can get a fee for him when he turns it down, maybe?
  • Options
    I would like him to, but didn't he effectively come out at some point over this season and say he would sign a new contract with us?
    No . He said this was his last season . Promotion might change that though . 
  • Options
    Nice words about Jonny W, would love him to take a pay cut to stay but can understand why he wouldn't. 

I said about releasing Igor the other week, we know how tight RD is so not a bad move to get an injury prone striker off the books to be replaced by one who can do more than 3 games at a time. Gave his all and we can thank him for that, but next season will be tough and we need to have as full and fit a squad as possible.

Fosu was the only surprise to me but then saw Cawley's comments. I don't rate him for the championship and by all accounts his attitude stinks so he won't be missed. In Bowyer we trust! 
  • Options
    Yeah but that was a while ago now. We've got promoted, he's a hero, he's got a newborn baby so may want to remain settled. Think we have a fair chance. 
  • Options
    I want to keep my positive head on. 1) Not surprised on that list. Only ones I would have kept were Reeves and Williams.  2) We don't know what the budget is? Bowyer could be bluffing. Not saying we have a huge budget but enough to work with. 3) Williams was always going to go to other clubs such as Swansea are interested in him and as Bowyer himself said "we couldn't get anywhere near his wages". 4) Offering contracts to Bauer and Aribo? If these both sign that would be fantastic for us and will be a key as to what players we are going to attract, although I can't see Aribo signing and might be going anyway. Hope I am wrong. I would love Bauer to sign. He had already stated that he wasn't going to sign when his contract was up and still get that feeling. There were murmurs around xmas time by Bowyer that if Bauer was consider re-signing it would be imperative for us to be promoted. Hope he loves here enough and contract is good for him to stay for at least another year. 4) I note with great interest in that all our strikers are not being retained. On a positive note does that mean they will have at least 2 strikers on their list that are within their budget. (or know they could get one from Arsenal etc that they have tentatively agreed with). ie, we are not keeping Parker (in desperation) etc. In Bowyer, Gallen and JJ we trust. I just pray that RD is letting these guys take us forward and not relying on Driesden, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As it stands Sarr is the only player left from the network era. Potentially Bauer if he signs a new contract.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    You say that but if these players can get better money elsewhere and are thinking about signing for us for less they might want to know who were thinking of signing
    Maybe mate. I guess it also depends on the clubs interested in signing him. He has just had a kid so might want to stay put. 
  • Options
    No problems with any of the released players, it's silly to suggest we are releasing the likes of Reeves and Igor to save wages.

If senior players were struggling to get into the side in L1, no way will they be good enough for the Championship. Reeves for example barely played at the end of the season when everyone was fit. As for Igor, you just can't depend on getting him out there on the pitch

• Options
    Think that all makes sense to me. We are going to have a small squad supplemented by loans and youth so we can’t be carrying anyone who is likely to be injured for 15-20 games per year.
  • Options
    Bauer said the other day he wanted to get his future sorted ASAP. At least we're trying to do that 
  • Options
    No . He said this was his last season . Promotion might change that though . 
    No, he said he wouldn't sign the contract that he'd been offered.
  • Options
    I'm astonished that Fosu has been reprieved.  Disappointed, though not surprised, to see Jonny Williams go: his attacking verve can transform an otherwise turgid midfield, as at Wembley.  And Reeves was improving: he has the deft ability to unpick defences.  At half-time in one game last season Bowyer told him to get forward to the box - or he'd be subbed.  Reeves scored.
  • Options
    I'm astonished that Fosu has been reprieved.  Disappointed, though not surprised, to see Jonny Williams go: his attacking verve can transform an otherwise turgid midfield, as at Wembley.  And Reeves was improving: he has the deft ability to unpick defences.  At half-time in one game last season Bowyer told him to get forward to the box - or he'd be subbed.  Reeves scored.
    Fosu is going . 
  • Options
    No surprises, Igor is too injury prone to last a season. Reeves had a good season, wish him all the best, same with the others
  • Options
    Fosu still made 20+ apps last season. It may well be there’s something in his contract that triggers the offer of a new deal is certain number of apps are hit.

Personally I’m not convinced JFC is good enough for the Championship, but there is a post injury loyalty contract offer there I suppose. 
    Fosu, Marshall, Bielik, Aribo, Williams, Cullen and Reeves all going, we need someone to play in midfield!