Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who missed the winning goal?

My Wembley seats were next to the aisle just behind one of the exits and it was interesting to see how many people seem to be more interested in getting their half-time pint rather than watching the game. People were leaving their seats from around ten minutes before half-time and by the time two minutes were remaining there was literally a queue of people making their way out. Many weren't taking their seats again until well after the start of the second half.

And fast forward to full time and the same happened. Not quite in the same numbers (perhaps people knew the bars would be closed) but maybe going for a quick pee before the start of extra time. There must have been a couple of hundred fans using that exit before our last minute goal last Sunday. And a special mention to the young couple who decided to stand behind the barrier for the free kick on 90 minutes, totally ignoring the shouts from behind to get out of the way. They eventually did, crouched down then went out and missed the goal shortly afterwards.

I know many fans always leave five or ten minutes before the end of a game to miss the traffic or get a more comfortable train or maybe because we're in a hopeless situation but I wasn't going to miss a second of our most important game in many years. So, did anyone here, in desperate need of a pee or a pint, miss our winner?

Comments

• Options
    No one left from those around me.
  • Options
    No one left from those around me.
    Same here.
  • Options
    Not at the game, but my missus went to the loo and missed it.  
  • Options
    At half time I travelled around from block 144 to 126 to see family. It took a loooong time. I headed back just as halftime was going to kick off and was amazed at how many people were still in the concourse, oblivious to the fact/not caring that the match was kicking off.

i tried saying “match has started” to everybody i walked past, but was rushing to get back, so gave up on them.

i guess that’s what happens when numbers swell to 40k and it’s a big party

all welcome though, eh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The guy sitting next to me disappeared when 4 minutes of injury time was announced. When he returned after the goal was scored he said that he thought the ceiling in the toilets were about to fall down because the noise was so loud.
    Dodgy curry the night before I expect.
  • Options
    Rule 1: When attending a football match, of any significance let alone when so much rests on the result, never, ever leave early unless you have a plane to catch or your wife is in labour. And even then...

I'm always astonished by people who pay significant amounts of money to watch yet spend half their time on the concourse and then leave early. The amount of late winners, absolute worldies, late sendings off and other incidents these people have missed must be ridiculous.
    This in spades. For the Donny home leg a group of 5 blokes (mid 50's) came in 10 mins late for the start of both halves......having missed Bielik's goal after 5 mins you would have thought they would be back for the start of the 2nd half.

Then again, I never drink before a match so don't  desperately need a p**s during a game. 
  • Options
    Mate of mine missed the winner, was in the toilets, said he could feel the stadium shaking as we scored.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Hundreds were streaming past me. (I had an aisle seat, too.) To the extent, those who were stopping to watch what was going on, were being given grief to keep moving, or go back to their seats. There must have been hundreds who missed that goal!

As me and my mates said (after we'd all calmed down) to miss a moment like that! And you'll never get it back!
  • Options
    I have only gone to a Charlton match pissed once. Quite a few years ago. And that taught me not to do it again. Having to go to the toilet multiple times and not being able to appreciate what is happening on the pitch did the trick. 
  • Options
    Hundreds were streaming past me. (I had an aisle seat, too.) To the extent, those who were stopping to watch what was going on, were being given grief to keep moving, or go back to their seats. There must have been hundreds who missed that goal!

As me and my mates said (after we'd all calmed down) to miss a moment like that! And you'll never get it back!
    "Hundreds" went past you? Really?

Your block must've been empty by the time we scored then. Were you in the Sunderland end?
  • Options
    Thousands 
  • Options
    I like a nice glass of Prosecco before a game ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Didn’t miss the goal but had already moved from our seats to get into the concourse on the final whistle. A good number of us was lingering on the stairs waiting for the final whistle to be blown.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

"Hundreds" went past you? Really?

Your block must've been empty by the time we scored then. Were you in the Sunderland end?
    Literally cannot believe that "hundreds" of Charlton left early. 

I was busy watching the game but surely there were only 1 or 2 morons leaving early per block.
  • Options
    I have only gone to a Charlton match pissed once. Quite a few years ago. And that taught me not to do it again. Having to go to the toilet multiple times and not being able to appreciate what is happening on the pitch did the trick. 
    You have only been to a Charlton game p****** once? Shocking........................
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I vowed before the day that I would not....

1/Get p****** before the game
    2/Not get p****** after the game
    3/Not miss ANY of the game

I succeeded on all counts, there was absolutely no way my memory of this game was going to be hazy.

Although I can relate to the beer/leaving early stories.
  • Options
    Yes I missed our winner, nature took its course of events about 30 seconds before we scored.
  • Options

I succeeded on all counts, there was absolutely no way my memory of this game was going to be hazy.

That’s quite some achievement for you Elfie!
  • Options
    I have no memory of the cross coming in. I saw the initial header and then the ball hit the back of the net but it was hard to see exactly what happened. Wasn't until we saw the replays that any of us knew who had scored and how. 
  • Options

That’s quite some achievement for you Elfie!
    Now now, play nicely.
  • Options
    Being so used to the valleys shocking service at halftime I thought I made an error of judgement when making my exit after the halftime whistle but to my astonishment I  find the queue for beer not too bad. Helped that next door they had a gin stand that seemed rather popular. My sister got us a couple of gins and I got us a couple of beers.
     Teamwork at its finest.