Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RD speaks

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Personally, I couldn't care less what Blackpool or Coventry fans think. Who knows what they would have done if they had had Duchatelet rather than Oyston or SISU as their owner. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Golfie, would you allow an arbitrary panel to set the value of your house or car?

It's a private business, I don't see how anyone can force RD to sell for a price he doesn't agree with, assuming he continues to not break the law.

Isn't that what an estate agent does?

I know what i did (and i assume others do too) is to get 3-4 valuations and then sell at the highest price i'm happy with that is realistically going to get me a buyer.

If an independent panel decide a club is worth around 30-35m, then although you might get lucky and find someone willing to pay 40-45m for it, but it stands to reason you probably won't sell it for 55-60m.
    Yeah, but just because a estate agent says your house is worth X... doesnt mean you have to listen to them. Although, I'm not sure many people list a house for 500k which is only worth 200k and expect it to sell. 
    Exactly, which was why i said "sell at the highest price i'm happy with that is realistically going to get me a buyer."

Roland must know deep down (or i'd hope he'd at least have been advised) that he isn't going to shift a club that is probably worth 35m at most.........for 55-60m.
  • Options
    vff said:
    seth plum said:
    Are people saying there is some merit in this latest statement?
    I can't see any.
    Can anybody winkle out any positives?
    The only positive things I can see is that he is not planning to separate the club and the Valley. 

Also that there are talks to improve Lee Bowyer's contract (not that RD will be guaranteed to improve terms for the only manager at Charlton under his ownership that has managed and succeeded with the constraints that Duchatelet sets - and the only manager that may help Charlton avoid relegation given the low budget). 

Running a club in the Championship is expensive but going on about it negatively on the club OS is hardly like to encourage sale. 

Talking down the asset he is trying to sell whilst trying to get back the maximum amount of money he has loaned to the club. Its madness. Then deflecting blame onto ex directors small loans and not his sale price as a reason for not selling the club. 

Some of the other stuff, what is he putting in his tea ? 

I'm not convinced he wont. His word and that of his cronies means very little. If the Aussies do ever take over  it will be interesting to see what financial arrangements are in place and whether RD has any future interests.  
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Personally, I couldn't care less what Blackpool or Coventry fans think. Who knows what they would have done if they had had Duchatelet rather than Oyston or SISU as their owner. 
    This.

Each club has it's own enemy and therefore it's own strategy how to defeat that enemy as there isn't a one size fits all solution.

For me both of those clubs have had it far worse than us with Roland even though we've had it bad no doubt.
  • Options
    Neither do I, my point is that they are a sample of the rest of the football world who now view us slightly less sympathetically than they did before. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It isn't a reasonable statement and merely highlights the issue with selling the club. Property/land values in London are irrelevant as you have a football club on the land. He fails to understand this in his selling price so it is hard to find a buyer. He wants a lot more than he paid for it which says it all.

All the other stuff is irrelevant until we see Bowyer signing a contract and the business we do. Actions will always speak louder than words on that score.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It isn't a reasonable statement and merely highlights the issue with selling the club. Property/land values in London are irrelevant as you have a football club on the land. He fails to understand this in his selling price so it is hard to find a buyer. He wants a lot more than he paid for it which says it all.

All the other stuff is irrelevant until we see Bowyer signing a contract and the business we do. Actions will always speak louder than words on that score.
    Sorry Muttley but the land value being in London is not irrelevant.

The land value of The Valley must be greater than the land value of say Wigan's ground (all things being equal).

The land value will still increase/decrease over time, even though it can't be developed.

If this is not true then the value of the land would be the same as in lets say 1905, which it clearly isn't.

I've said it before an analogy for me would be a valuable painting.

Ok you can't do anything with it other than look at it, but it can still increase/decrease in value.

NB I think some people get the feeling I'm supporting RD. I'm not what I'd like to happen to the bloke I would not put on a public forum.

All I am trying to do is state the facts as I see them and try to understand what is going on.

If RD sells up this week I will be ecstatic, but I do want to understand who is actually buying us and with whose money.

I can't recall Henry Irving's questions in full on a new buyer, but they are the answers we need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It is irrelevant unless you build houses on it. You can't build houses on it so there you have it!
  • Options
    It is irrelevant unless you build houses on it. You can't build houses on it so there you have it!
    If the value of the land does not increase and is irrelevant then the club is worth zero.
    Look at the accounts and you will see this is not true.
    Once again I'm not defending RD here, I'm just stating the facts as I see them.
  • Options
    If the value of the land does not increase and is irrelevant then the club is worth zero.
    Look at the accounts and you will see this is not true.
    Once again I'm not defending RD here, I'm just stating the facts as I see them.
    You mean money you can't spend? What value is that to a buyer?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Seth if you have ever been nicked then you know it's not the grief on you but it's the grief your family and loved ones go through----- the possible loosing of your job--- name in the press etc.

It's only 18 months ago two of us had to go through the court process twice because of this club ,it's shi t so called senior management and their spin doctor s, before the utter bollox got thrown out. Hated the grief that gave to my wife and I know NLA felt the same. 

Don't underestimate RD and his minions viciousness or their tame plod and spin doctors

The vindictive regime damaged you all and eventually there will be a reckoning.
    For me I feel have nothing to lose in terms of a job/family dynamic.
    I am absolutely not suggesting any violent action (actually I'm not suggesting anything at the moment) but there are plenty of examples of non violent protests that have an impact.

What impact did the extension rebellion have, other than to piss off ordinary Londoners?

Nothing has changed.
    A reduction in planning permissions granted for granny annexes and loft conversions?
  • Options
    Here is the leasehold values £42.7M as at 30/6/17

• Options
    edited June 2019
    If you sold your house, but with a clause that you can still live in it, and when you die, your relatives can continue living in it, and then their relatives etc... Well it will have a value you can show me, but nobody is going to buy it at that value are they?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Here is the leasehold values £42.7M as at 30/6/17

That’s not the land value. My understanding is that it’s the adjusted cost of improvements to the stadium under the lease. Happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I call BS. The so-called "value" in that statement was totally made up and pulled out of their asses. That is not at all the accounting value. It's like me deciding my car is worth £41M. Means jack shit.
    In a sub-note, they show the actual accounting value, which is half that amount. Surprise! And they admit that the higher valuation was calculated "by the directors." In other words, Rat, Nightmeire and Murray. How trustworthy is that? And that number is based upon that of consultants hired by Rat to raise the value in a so-called "study." Uhhhhh.....huhhhhh.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    There were accounts more recently, but as at 30/6/2017.

The combined land values of The Valley and Sparrows Lane was £11.7M.

The cost to build the buildings thereon and leave for 20 years so they are in the same condition as present is £42.7M.

So if someone wanted to purchase The Valley & Sparrows Lane as it is now for the purposes of professional football, the value is £54.4M according to the accounts as at 30/6/2017.

(Assuming Idle Hans was correct when I asked for assistance in understanding the accounts.
    His reasoning is all in the link below).

I'm not offering an opinion myself I'm simply restating the values according to Idle Hans.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81443/charltons-full-accounts-published/p5

• Options
    If you sold your house, but with a clause that you can still live in it, and when you die, your relatives can continue living in it, and then their relatives etc... Well it will have a value you can show me, but nobody is going to buy it at that value are they?
    I love it when we do a house analogy.
    Cheer Muttley.
    This may be above my paid grade but as I decided on a repayment mortgage when most financial advisors were saying take out a endowment back in the wild days, I feel able to add my views that why wasn't Orient or other smaller London clubs sold for a lot more if being a London club and the value of the land comes into the equation ? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love it when we do a house analogy.
    Cheer Muttley.
    This may be above my paid grade but as I decided on a repayment mortgage when most financial advisors were saying take out a endowment back in the wild days, I feel able to add my views that why wasn't Orient or other smaller London clubs sold for a lot more if being a London club and the value of the land comes into the equation ? 

Distressed sale presumably.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Here is the note from the 2015-16 financials where they snuck-in the magical re-valuation that all potential buyers are just supposto believe.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Golfie, would you allow an arbitrary panel to set the value of your house or car?

It's a private business, I don't see how anyone can force RD to sell for a price he doesn't agree with, assuming he continues to not break the law.

Isn't that what an estate agent does?

I know what i did (and i assume others do too) is to get 3-4 valuations and then sell at the highest price i'm happy with that is realistically going to get me a buyer.

If an independent panel decide a club is worth around 30-35m, then although you might get lucky and find someone willing to pay 40-45m for it, but it stands to reason you probably won't sell it for 55-60m.
    But unless you are missing mortgage payments, no one is forcing you into a sale, you'd be totally free to ignore the professional advise and continue wasting everyone's time.
  • Options
    Not forgetting in the event of a relocation that value if not more could be realised..
  • Options
    Not really, the new ground wouldn't be free.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Not forgetting in the event of a relocation that value if not more could be realised..
    And therein lies the danger for us of RD making the price all about the property. 

It depnds on the buyer's intentions of course. You could still have a buyer who is serious about the club and sees a new purpose built stadium as part of the future. On the other hand you could get Sebastian Sainsbury...
  • Options
    @Airman Brown What do you think is the Council's current thinking regarding the Valley? I remember a new plan for Charlton being shared on here a while ago, showing  the Charlton area between the Valley and the river being, basically, taken upmarket. I seem to recall some unease that the Valley wasn't even clearly recognised on that plan. Would they in fact like to move us away from the Valley? (while hopefully recognising how politically charged such an approach is). And would they prioritise social housing for a vacated Valley site?
  • Options
    Conversations with senior Cllrs at Greenwich I've had, is there is no chance they would allow the Valley to be converted to housing without an almighty fight.