Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2019/20 Champions League

Comments

• 17/9/19 .. south Europeans show up two of our top teams, including the present trophy holders .. Liverpool are showing signs of fatigue and general team wear and tear, as are Man City in the Prem .. Chelsea after Hazard look toothless and must learn to nominate a regular penalty taker
    They've won 5 out of 5 in the league! 

They also lost to Napoli last year but they'll be fine as they will almost certainly win all 3 home games and away at Genk.
    I'll take your answer seriously when they beat a team in form and of substance .. Newcastle, Southampton and Burnley, flimsy Arsenal and Norwich in their first game back in the Prem .. I'd call that 5 outta 5 bankers
    It was a serious answer. How is a side with a 100% league record showing signs of fatigue?

Also the fact they were 5 'bankers' means nothing when you have City losing at Norwich, Spurs losing at home to Newcastle and United losing at home to Palace.

I hate Liverpool anyway but they certainly don't look tired.
  • Is it just me that is bored with the competition and it's tired format? Only interested when gets to the knock out stage.
  • edited September 2019
    17/9/19 .. south Europeans show up two of our top teams, including the present trophy holders .. Liverpool are showing signs of fatigue and general team wear and tear, as are Man City in the Prem .. Chelsea after Hazard look toothless and must learn to nominate a regular penalty taker

They also lost to Napoli last year but they'll be fine as they will almost certainly win all 3 home games and away at Genk.
    You’re underestimating Salzburg. Not a bad team at all. And are Liverpool guaranteed to beat Napoli in the home leg? I don’t think so - only if napoli have already qualified will it be an easy game for Liverpool.
  • dizzee said:
    17/9/19 .. south Europeans show up two of our top teams, including the present trophy holders .. Liverpool are showing signs of fatigue and general team wear and tear, as are Man City in the Prem .. Chelsea after Hazard look toothless and must learn to nominate a regular penalty taker

You’re underestimating Salzburg. Not a bad team at all. And are Liverpool guaranteed to beat Napoli in the home leg? I don’t think so - only if napoli have already qualified will it be an easy game for Liverpool.
    Perhaps i am underestimating them but Liverpool away is a huge step up from walking the Austrian league and beating Genk.

And no they're not guaranteed to beat Napoli but i'm sure they will. They haven't lost at home in the league or CL since April 2017. 

I hate Liverpool and would like nothing more than to see them go out, but i'm pretty confident they will qualify. Last year they lost all 3 away group games but still went through.
  • just seen pictures and replays of Coquelin's 'tackle' on Mount .. absolute filth and he should have been red not yellow carded and put in the stocks for a weekMason Mount in a challenge with Francis Coquelin
  • This pic is even worse

• The worst thing is, it wasn't even a tackle... he was passing the ball, saw Mount was there and decided to follow through.
  • dizzee said:

Perhaps i am underestimating them but Liverpool away is a huge step up from walking the Austrian league and beating Genk.

And no they're not guaranteed to beat Napoli but i'm sure they will. They haven't lost at home in the league or CL since April 2017. 

I hate Liverpool and would like nothing more than to see them go out, but i'm pretty confident they will qualify. Last year they lost all 3 away group games but still went through.
    I watched Salzburg against Napoli in the Europa earlier in the year and they really are a good side. Not saying Liverpool won’t qualify, I’m just not a fan of writing off teams because they don’t play in the Premier League. It’s a result of lazy journalism brainwashing us.
  • This pic is even worse

And no one working with VAR deemed it worthy of red. Shambles.
  • Liverpool fans moaning about a penalty?
    FFS, seriously?  The audacity of it after the one they got in the 1st 20 seconds of the CL final.

This pic is even worse

I heard to TalkSport this morning that it was explained by that Peter Walton fella, the ex PL ref on BT Sport last night, that as the referee had seen the challenge and deemed no card necessary, VAR doesnt get involved.  Doesn't make sense does it?  because I thought that was the exact point of VAR to correct refereeing errors.  Jeez, looks a nasty that one for the kid, hopefully he isn't out for too long.
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:
    dizzee said:

I watched Salzburg against Napoli in the Europa earlier in the year and they really are a good side. Not saying Liverpool won’t qualify, I’m just not a fan of writing off teams because they don’t play in the Premier League. It’s a result of lazy journalism brainwashing us.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not writing Salzburg off completely as i know they're a decent side and they may well qualify. I just don't think it will be at Liverpool's expense.

And this isn't based on being some kind of premier league devotee. It's based on Liverpool being very good, hence why they've reached 2 consecutive finals.
  • Am i missing something? That angle also shows it was a blatant dive.

He throws himself into Robertson's leg and then goes over.
    I agree, he was half over before any contact was made and left his leg trailing deliberately.

But 'there was contact' is now acceptable to go over and win a penalty.
    Regarding VAR as explained by the ref working for BT (Peter Walton) the video referee will only be deciding if the error is clear and obvious. Which as 'there was contact' it wasn't. 
    The refs that BT add absolutely no value. I've never seen one disagree with the ref on the pitch, so you may as well just get a nodding dog in place of them.

Winger takes the ball past Robertson, Robertson swings a lazy leg out and impedes the winger. Clear penalty.

There are instances of strikers trying to buy penalties, Jamie Vardy is the obvious one but I don’t think that was the case here.

Could the winger have taken evasive action to ensure that he was out of the way of Robertson? Probably. Would that have allowed him to continue his run? Definitely not. He had every right to continue his run and take the contact in the way that he did.
  • Croydon said:
    Am i missing something? That angle also shows it was a blatant dive.

I agree, he was half over before any contact was made and left his leg trailing deliberately.

Regarding VAR as explained by the ref working for BT (Peter Walton) the video referee will only be deciding if the error is clear and obvious. Which as 'there was contact' it wasn't. 
    The refs that BT add absolutely no value. I've never seen one disagree with the ref on the pitch, so you may as well just get a nodding dog in place of them.
    That’s because the refs are generally making the right decision 95% of the time.

Winger takes the ball past Robertson, Robertson swings a lazy leg out and impedes the winger. Clear penalty.

There are instances of strikers trying to buy penalties, Jamie Vardy is the obvious one but I don’t think that was the case here.

Could the winger have taken evasive action to ensure that he was out of the way of Robertson? Probably. Would that have allowed him to continue his run? Definitely not. He had every right to continue his run and take the contact in the way that he did.
    Absolute nonsense. If you slow it down and watch it frame by frame, it's clear there's no way Robertson's leg impedes him. His leg is planted on the ground, before the guy even starts his dive.

This screenshot is taken just as he starts his dive. Robertson's leg is not even close to impeding him. 

Then he starts his dive and ends up like this.

Clear as day, he jumps into Robertson and then goes over. Awful decision.
  • Croydon said:
    Am i missing something? That angle also shows it was a blatant dive.

That’s because the refs are generally making the right decision 95% of the time.
    What about the other 5% though? Ref’s union seems to make them incapable of making criticism even if the mistake is blatant.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Liverpool fans moaning about a penalty?
    FFS, seriously?  The audacity of it after the one they got in the 1st 20 seconds of the CL final.

This pic is even worse

I heard to TalkSport this morning that it was explained by that Peter Walton fella, the ex PL ref on BT Sport last night, that as the referee had seen the challenge and deemed no card necessary, VAR doesnt get involved.  Doesn't make sense does it?  because I thought that was the exact point of VAR to correct refereeing errors.  Jeez, looks a nasty that one for the kid, hopefully he isn't out for too long.
    JohnBoyUK said:

This pic is even worse

I understood that as the referee had seen the incident AND yellow carded Coquelin, then VAR could not overrule/intervene .. presumably if the ref hadn't 'booked' Cockie, then VAR could/would/at least should have intervened .. (starting to talk as if VAR were a person and not a procedure lol)
  • Olympiakos 2 v Spurs 2

Absolute nonsense. If you slow it down and watch it frame by frame, it's clear there's no way Robertson's leg impedes him. His leg is planted on the ground, before the guy even starts his dive.

This screenshot is taken just as he starts his dive. Robertson's leg is not even close to impeding him. 

This guy sums up my thoughts on it better than I could...
  • JohnBoyUK said:

This pic is even worse

JohnBoyUK said:

This pic is even worse

I understood that as the referee had seen the incident AND yellow carded Coquelin, then VAR could not overrule/intervene .. presumably if the ref hadn't 'booked' Cockie, then VAR could/would/at least should have intervened .. (starting to talk as if VAR were a person and not a procedure lol)
    I guess this is consistent with the "retrospective punishments" that can only happen if the player was unpunished by the referee. You could decapitate an opponent, but if the referee booked you, no further punishment can then be given!
  • Sponsored links:

• Olympiakos 2 v Spurs 2
    Shocking week for the English sides. 
  • What games we watching next?

Juventus on the tele for me, with Atalanta on the iPad.

• Real Madrid 2 down at PSG
    2-1 and its Bale again

For someone Zidane wanted gone he is now needing him to score haha
    2-1 and its Bale again

Nope..
  • Dani Olmo so dangerous for Zagreb. Not seen much of him barring highlights here and there. Very impressive performance so far. 
    2-1 and its Bale again

Nope..
    Haha was handball i gues

This is irrelevant as it's taken after Callejon throws himseif into him. So yes of course there was contact.

As i showed in my previous post, stop the frame as Callejon starts his dive. Robertson's leg is nowhere near him.

Or just watch this. https://twitter.com/georgeskarakii/status/1174221244113334274
  • How long before Zidane's job comes under threat?

Madrid getting an absolute thrashing at a PSG side without Mbappe, Neymar, Cavani and Draxler.

Not looking good.