Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• Options
    A big boo. Was Pearcy having a dig at him the other day then?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The chances of him staying were low. He was running out of the contract to the end of the season and he had the best goals per minutes ratio in the league. It was time for his next big payday, such is the way players and agents work these days. 

Plus I doubt we're going to compete with the top two clubs in terms of wage budgets in League One, let alone what Championship clubs can offer. 

Gutted to see him go but it was inevitable.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Its all down to the quality of his replacement, we need someone who can score goals, play the full match, and then piss off to leave us in the lurch breaking our collective hearts. Lets be honest we need Lyle back.
  • Options
    Big club,what I always wanted,glad its finally over the line,blah blah blah,judging by these statements he was never going to sign,why piss about with these people,they will only stay if no better offers come along,said it before clear them out now,"this is our final offer" take it or piss off,especially Matthews who only signed as a last resort last season when no one else came in.
  • Options
    Big club,what I always wanted,glad its finally over the line,blah blah blah,judging by these statements he was never going to sign,why piss about with these people,they will only stay if no better offers come along,said it before clear them out now,"this is our final offer" take it or piss off,especially Matthews who only signed as a last resort last season when no one else came in.
    Because I don’t really think it works like that, it’s far more nuanced with lots of moving parts. 

- What sort of deal are you asking them to sign? What’s the salary and term? 
    - What if they all fall for your hardman approach and sign and, then, on the 1st of July a ton of better players become available but we’ve already done our budget by forcing players to make early decisions? 
  • Options
    Was it ever established just what the mystery injury or psychological problem Aneke has, that prevents him playing a full 90 minutes?
    No one seemed prepared to talk about it, maybe that will change now?
    heart problem
  • Options
    aw shucks .. it's g'bye chuks
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Was it ever established just what the mystery injury or psychological problem Aneke has, that prevents him playing a full 90 minutes?
    heart problem
    Really? Wasn’t aware of that. 
  • Options
    Not sure Cardiovascular = Psychological 

Everyone at the club was hinting to the later as last season wore on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    DOUCHER said:
    heart problem
    its what i was told about 2 months ago
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Because I don’t really think it works like that, it’s far more nuanced with lots of moving parts. 

- What if they all fall for your hardman approach and sign and, then, on the 1st of July a ton of better players become available but we’ve already done our budget by forcing players to make early decisions? 
    You have a very valid point,but look at the time we have lost waiting for decisions from these players.Amos is still dithering,do we wait until he makes up his mind before we try to fill this most important of positions,there wont be too many top keepers around at our level.
    We start our friendlies in 2 weeks,so far one player has been signed,several let go,and a few more with contracts ending,if we are seriously going to challenge this year,the majority of the squad needs to be settled in long before the season starts.
  • Options
    A big loss but we are a league 1 club and this it what happens when championship clubs offer out of contract league 1 players contracts. 
  • Options
    would be a nice player to keep but im not convinced we cant get someone with a healthy injury free record and just as much ability - a pretty forgettable player imo

players that have been offered contracts - make up your mind or fuck off - pretty simple, i get they have a short career and someone like amos isnt going to retire as a multi millionaire so have to make there money now to set them up for life as only so many can be football pundits and coaches etc. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You have a very valid point,but look at the time we have lost waiting for decisions from these players.Amos is still dithering,do we wait until he makes up his mind before we try to fill this most important of positions,there wont be too many top keepers around at our level.
    We start our friendlies in 2 weeks,so far one player has been signed,several let go,and a few more with contracts ending,if we are seriously going to challenge this year,the majority of the squad needs to be settled in long before the season starts.
    We haven't lost any time. Our recruitment guys will have been speaking to others whilst these chaps pondered.  Who's to say we didn't pull Amos contract forcing him to Wigan because we are about to announce Mcscotty boy from Pompey.  These things are not black and white. 
  • Options
    would be a nice player to keep but im not convinced we cant get someone with a healthy injury free record and just as much ability - a pretty forgettable player imo

players that have been offered contracts - make up your mind or fuck off - pretty simple, i get they have a short career and someone like amos isnt going to retire as a multi millionaire so have to make there money now to set them up for life as only so many can be football pundits and coaches etc. 
    Amos will already be a multi millionaire I suspect. 8 years at Man Utd followed by 4 on a big salary at Bolton.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Chucks won't be here next season. 
    Sadly I think J BLOCK has a direct line to Chuks, so I can well believe this is from the man himself. Changing the manager could alter things but I don't believe Chuks has any liking or respect for Bowyer 
    You still think that?
    Either that or Chuks hasnt realised that its the same bloke at Birmingham and is in for a big shock
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    se9addick said:
    DOUCHER said:
    heart problem

And you thought its your duty to share that ?

• Options
    Bloke scored 16 goals regardless of how many minutes he was on the pitch. In fact, despite his minutes on the pitch. Big loss.
    He is at League 1 level. But not sure he is a massive gain at Championship level. After all he scored one goal in 745 minutes when he played for us in that Division.
    I have no interest in his value to Birmingham, only what we need to replace him.
    But your desire to keep Aneke is made on the assumption that he can play the same number of minutes he did last season and not the number of minutes he played the season before. If he was still on the books and couldn't play, for whatever reason given his medical history, we would, actually, be in a worst position because we couldn't/wouldn't have signed a replacement for him. 

I would rather he had stayed and we definitely do need to sign a suitable replacement but we do not necessarily need to find all Aneke's 15 League goals from that one striker.  Stockley and Washington scored 19 in 48 starts last season between them and Adkins might change our style of play to get the most out of Schwartz - otherwise there is no sense in keeping him either. We scored 18 goals in 10 games under Adkins last season and Aneke's contribution was 3 of those - and one of those was the 6th in our win at Plymouth so we would still have won without him.

We made an offer to Aneke and he turned it down. We move on.

Since we offered him a contract, my view was presumably the same as Adkins. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Chuks, Thanks for the memories,..... (Cant quite think of one).. but good luck at Brum
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    se9addick said:
    DOUCHER said:
    heart problem

And you thought its your duty to share that ?

not a duty, no but lot of talk on here about if he may suddenly become fit and play loads and he's been taking the piss etc etc so now he has gone it adds a bit of context to the move - his situation needs managing and i wish him all the best but its a situation i don't think we can afford / want  to manage to the same price that maybe birmingham think they can
  • Options
    I wonder how many minutes he'll manage for them in 2 years?
    More than he will for us the next 2 years.
  • Options
    Bloke scored 16 goals regardless of how many minutes he was on the pitch. In fact, despite his minutes on the pitch. Big loss.
    He is at League 1 level. But not sure he is a massive gain at Championship level. After all he scored one goal in 745 minutes when he played for us in that Division.
    I have no interest in his value to Birmingham, only what we need to replace him.
    But your desire to keep Aneke is made on the assumption that he can play the same number of minutes he did last season and not the number of minutes he played the season before. If he was still on the books and couldn't play, for whatever reason given his medical history, we would, actually, be in a worst position because we couldn't/wouldn't have signed a replacement for him. 

I would rather he had stayed and we definitely do need to sign a suitable replacement but we do not necessarily need to find all Aneke's 15 League goals from that one striker.  Stockley and Washington scored 19 in 48 starts last season between them and Adkins might change our style of play to get the most out of Schwartz - otherwise there is no sense in keeping him either. We scored 18 goals in 10 games under Adkins last season and Aneke's contribution was 3 of those - and one of those was the 6th in our win at Plymouth so we would still have won without him.

We made an offer to Aneke and he turned it down. We move on.

Since we offered him a contract, my view was presumably the same as Adkins. 
    But there is a "tipping point" and a price for every player. I'm not party to what was on offer and you might be in a better position in that respect to say but I would expect that his medical history would be factored into that offer. And if Birmingham offered more, as one would assume, good luck to him and them.
  • Options
    It's football, and Chuks wants to play in the Championship plus strikers in the Championship earn more money.
    As said we don't have the leverage to keep our best players or attract guys who can get contracts in the higher division.

Apologies for being sober and not calling Bowyer and Aneke all the names under the sun. AUN is given leeway when not on duty !

The irony is if Chuks had played more minutes we would have been in the play offs at least and may have emulated our Sunderland exploits of the last couple of decades. 
    Or if he hadn’t hit the woodwork 7 times......four times more than any other player in League 1.
  • Options
    It's football, and Chuks wants to play in the Championship plus strikers in the Championship earn more money.
    As said we don't have the leverage to keep our best players or attract guys who can get contracts in the higher division.

Apologies for being sober and not calling Bowyer and Aneke all the names under the sun. AUN is given leeway when not on duty !

The irony is if Chuks had played more minutes we would have been in the play offs at least and may have emulated our Sunderland exploits of the last couple of decades. 
    Or if he hadn’t hit the woodwork 7 times......four times more than any other player in League 1.
    It does seem a shame that we didn't use him for more minutes now.