Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Cullen - gone to Burnley, July 2022 (p24)

Comments

• Options
    Do you think West Brom have no reason to be worried?
  • Options
    If anything I would lean towards West Brom wanting them to stay with us. If we are taking points out the other teams in and around the top 6 it is good for them.
  • Options
    I suggested that as an option but much will depend on where we are in January surely.
  • Options
    If anything I would lean towards West Brom wanting them to stay with us. If we are taking points out the other teams in and around the top 6 it is good for them.
    I can't see either figuring much after Xmas for West Brom unless they have a major injury crisis anyway. Field has been a squad player for us, while Leko has been fairly average

Could they recall them is we're top 6 at Xmas, maybe but I wouldn't be especially bothered, neither are as important as Gallagher or Cullen.
  • Options
    Absolutely love Josh, such a tidy footballer. Would be great to see him stay for the entire season. January will be a horrible month with speculation and nervousness in abundance about keeping the squad together.
  • Options
    They way he plays he would be a good replacement for Mark Noble who can't have too many seasons left.
  • Options
    I've never really understood the appeal of Mark Noble, but there he is year after year a central part of West Ham's squad, mostly in the Premier League. I don't see anything in Noble that isn't present in Cullen though. Cullen is certainly a more intelligent user of the ball, and he's industrious and puts his foot in like Noble does so there's nothing to say he can't make that step up. Part of me thinks it's a bit too much of a jump, but if Mark Noble can do it for years then why not Josh. Hopefully West Ham don't see it that way though and they let us have him
  • Options
    Cullen is not ready for the Premiership and is too short as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Torriera plays centre mid for Arsenal and is 5ft 6”. Cullen is 5ft 9”.

Long gone are the days of being too short to play Premier League football.
  • Options

Too short for West Ham and not good enough - they'd be stupid to take him back.
  • Options

Too short for West Ham and not good enough - they'd be stupid to take him back.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Cullen like Pratley does a lot of the unsung work on the pitch. Doesn't always get due credit.
    Cullen reminds me a lot of Matt Holland, who was another understated midfield player who never grabbed the headlines but did masses of work on the pitch, but quietly
    Josh is much better than MH.  Lovely guy and scored important goals in the 03/04 season but he was so limited in his passing.  Cullen is a real leader - gets on the ball, doesn’t hide and can do the dirty side of the game.  A better comparison is Kinsella, although without the goals so far 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Cullen like Pratley does a lot of the unsung work on the pitch. Doesn't always get due credit.
    Cullen reminds me a lot of Matt Holland, who was another understated midfield player who never grabbed the headlines but did masses of work on the pitch, but quietly
    Josh is much better than MH.  Lovely guy and scored important goals in the 03/04 season but he was so limited in his passing.  Cullen is a real leader - gets on the ball, doesn’t hide and can do the dirty side of the game.  A better comparison is Kinsella, although without the goals so far 
    Josh is no MH - can't keep his shorts as clean.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Nearly 200 games in the Premier League, 49 Irish caps. A bit early to suggest Josh is better
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    Nearly 200 games in the Premier League, 49 Irish caps. A bit early to suggest Josh is better
    And that's the point isn't it? Josh Cullen is a very good player, but he hasn't done anything in the Premier League yet. Matt Holland did...
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Yup, I see the Kinsella comparison 
  • Options
    i never really understood matt holland, always thought of his style as headless chicken. i prefer Cullen and see te kinsella comparison, altho we have only seen him at championship level and below so far whereas we saw MH at prem level. maybe he doesnt have the athleticism for prem but maybe he does!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I realise my argument isn’t a popular one but I never really understood Holland as a footballer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    MH had no pace, couldn't press or tackle, average passer, never beat a man, quite good at arriving late in the box. Played at a high level but his signing started our demise. 13 goals in five seasons.
    Seriously? - First season he was here we finished 7th, second season we finished 11th which was still higher than the two years prior to his arrival

Can think of many other players that helped start our demise
     One man started our demise... And his name was Richard "I don't want to renew Alan C" Murray
  • Options
    I'd say it was the attitude of the likes of Danny Murphy that didnt help

That and the £10m we got from Parker

We went from careful spending over the years to being wasteful with it, culminating in the waste of money that Dowie spent
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    West Ham not looking to re-call.

https://twitter.com/BroadcastMoose/status/1192466186170241036
    Good news for ⁦⁩ & ⁦⁩ as Manuel Pellegrini today dismissed recalling & ⁦⁩ from their loan spells in January
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Thats Pellegrini's view though, i.e. wont be recalling him to play for West Ham

Bet its a different question to Gold / Sullivan if they plan to sell him

Unless of course they're happy for him to stay because there have been discussions about a new Contract
  • Options
    MH had no pace, couldn't press or tackle, average passer, never beat a man, quite good at arriving late in the box. Played at a high level but his signing started our demise. 13 goals in five seasons.
    Some of our lot do truly baffle me and makes me wonder if you have ever played the game before!? We are all entitled to our own opinion granted but that is just the most absurd comment I have ever heard!
  • Options
    Any ITK got the update on his ankle??  God this is depressing.
  • Options
    Any ITK got the update on his ankle??  God this is depressing.
    Only that Bowyer has said he won't be available tomorrow. Which I suppose you could take as a positive that he's even mentioned tomorrow's game