Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV Licence Scam

Comments

• PopIcon said:
    I personally think a TV licence is great value for money. I ditched Netflix as I found 90% of the content shite.
    But you had the option to ditch Netflix, what if I don't want to watch the BBC?
    Do you have the option to ditch VAT and income tax if you never use the fire service? 
  • I found this today in my spam. 

• PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    I personally think a TV licence is great value for money. I ditched Netflix as I found 90% of the content shite.
    Are you saying you dont watch anything on the BBC?
    Nope, I'm saying I am being forced to pay for something I may not want to watch. 

For the record, I don't get to watch must tv but Peaky Blinders and Line of Duty I am almost certain to watch live. 
  • I found this today in my spam. 

Check out 419eater.com. You can have some great fun with these people.  Took some on a few years back and got some great pictures of them holding a fish on their head.

• Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Do you have the option to ditch VAT and income tax if you never use the fire service? 
    I know you can't help being a knob but it's a completely different situation and you know it. 
    How s it different?
  • Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    I know you can't help being a knob but it's a completely different situation and you know it. 
    How s it different?
    Well for one you may be in a position where you have no choice but to use the emergency services. You may not plan to use them but it could be forced upon you. Not going to be the case with BBC tv is it. 
  • Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    How s it different?
    Well for one you may be in a position where you have no choice but to use the emergency services. You may not plan to use them but it could be forced upon you. Not going to be the case with BBC tv is it. 
    While by law you dont need to pay VAT or income tax. Living your entire life on 10k a year, dining out on corn based snacks and only buying your clothes from charity shops is going to be difficult.

On the other hand, I know numerous people who legally do not need to buy a TV licence.
  • My only bug bear is that I am on a TV Licence payment card and when I periodically get text messages along the lines of "You have not paid £3 towards your TV Licence, please do so immediately or 4,000 left wing arse holes will cry..." you cannot reply "fuck off". The bastards have even taken that small comfort away from you!
    Weirdo.
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    How s it different?
    While by law you dont need to pay VAT or income tax. Living your entire life on 10k a year, dining out on corn based snacks and only buying your clothes from charity shops is going to be difficult.

On the other hand, I know numerous people who legally do not need to buy a TV licence

But if you want to watch ITV and not BBC then it is not legal to not own one. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    How s it different?

On the other hand, I know numerous people who legally do not need to buy a TV licence

A quick quick google and I think you are proved wrong. 
    But I think watching ITV should be exempt. Any station that has Celebrity Tipping Point on prime time Saturday evening needs its franchise looking at.
  • PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    How s it different?

But I think watching ITV should be exempt. Any station that has Celebrity Tipping Point on prime time Saturday evening needs its franchise looking at.
    How about Celebrity Eggheads, Antiques Road Trip and the like?
  • Antiques Road Trip is entertaining, informative and educational, you philistine.
  • Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    I'll concede that calling someone a "knob" is a powerful means of convincing someone that the argument you make is impenetrable, so, well done on that. But I have to say that there are, in fact, similarities. 

There are costs that we all, as individuals, can't avoid, but which are collected, centrally, and distributed for the common good. The government we elect determines those disbursements. Some go on services that we all use every day. Some go on services we consume regularly, or infrequently. And some go on services that we make use of very infrequently. 

I don't want to call on the work of the fire service. I don't travel on buses. But the fire service is there when I need it. And I work with people who use buses. I benefit, albeit indirectly. 

Everyone - absolutely everyone - in the UK benefits from the BBC. From the knowledge and entertainment gained from BBC television and radio, from the huge range of online services, from blogs, podcasts, data services and from the English language influence of the World Service. 

That's why most of the funding of the BBC comes from most of the families in the UK. 

So, if you'd prefer a different answer to your question, here it is. If you don't want to watch the BBC, but you do want to receive TV broadcasts, you have to pay for that right. And the benefit you gain from that right extends to all the services the BBC offers and benefits everyone you know in this country. It make Britain a better place. And it's a bargain. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    How s it different?

How about Celebrity Eggheads, Antiques Road Trip and the like?
    Quality programming for the retired and people having a duvet day. 
    Next you be telling me you don’t like Homes Under the Hammer and Wanted Down Under.
  • Those classic BBC programmes like It’s a knockout and Jim’ll Fix it?
    The BBC is a gravy train for the chosen few.
    It might win me back when the drastically cut the wages of the supposed stars of the corporation.
    It needs a proper clean out.
  • Literal TV licence scam thread turned into is the Beeb a scam thread.

The licence fee is good value when judged on content. If the licence fee is an unjust State-run inefficiency then why is Sky more than £50 a month? Netflix and Amazon TV are more price-comparable to the licence fee but still a poor relation in terms of content. They are also still losing billions in cash-burn and yet to break even.

No free to air broadcaster is comparable. If the BBC fee was abolished and made an optional subscription at cost, precisely 0% chance of ITV/C4/Anything good on Freeview not being behind a pay-wall. 

Just don't get the logic of stealth tax which is actually 150 a year. A decent state broadcaster is a good idea and a much bigger question than the fee itself. I dont see any of the political parties changing this policy and abolishing licence fee anytime soon. Not gonna happen. 

So just get on with enjoying Antiques Roadshow 
  • edited August 2019
    Good post @calydon_road but if Johnson ever actually manages to win an election you can bet that Uncle Rup will be bending his boy Gove’s ear about err ‘reforming the BBC/licence fee’. Especially if we are out of the EU.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    I'll concede that calling someone a "knob" is a powerful means of convincing someone that the argument you make is impenetrable, so, well done on that. But I have to say that there are, in fact, similarities. 

There are costs that we all, as individuals, can't avoid, but which are collected, centrally, and distributed for the common good. The government we elect determines those disbursements. Some go on services that we all use every day. Some go on services we consume regularly, or infrequently. And some go on services that we make use of very infrequently. 

I don't want to call on the work of the fire service. I don't travel on buses. But the fire service is there when I need it. And I work with people who use buses. I benefit, albeit indirectly. 

Everyone - absolutely everyone - in the UK benefits from the BBC. From the knowledge and entertainment gained from BBC television and radio, from the huge range of online services, from blogs, podcasts, data services and from the English language influence of the World Service. 

That's why most of the funding of the BBC comes from most of the families in the UK. 

So, if you'd prefer a different answer to your question, here it is. If you don't want to watch the BBC, but you do want to receive TV broadcasts, you have to pay for that right. And the benefit you gain from that right extends to all the services the BBC offers and benefits everyone you know in this country. It make Britain a better place. And it's a bargain. 
    Calling you a knob wasn't about the argument, was more just my general feeling towards you and how you come across, particularly over the last few weeks. 

And the bits I have bolded aren't facts, you cannot tell me every single person benefits from the BBC, you have no way of proving that. 

I disagree it's a bargain. The BBC does undoubtedly have some great value, but it is not the only broadcaster to offer this. ITV also has some brilliant content, but remind me how much you have to pay to see/read it. 

So whilst I respect your opinions, they are just that. And I actually share most of them, I don't begrudge paying for it. It's not a great sum of money for the majority and there are various ways to pay. 

My original comment was regarding Netflix. Comparing a TV license and Netflix isn't fair. Netflix is a service you pay for and can stop paying for whenever you want. But it's not the same with a TV license, regardless of whether you think the fee is fair or not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

Calling you a knob wasn't about the argument, was more just my general feeling towards you and how you come across, particularly over the last few weeks. 

And the bits I have bolded aren't facts, you cannot tell me every single person benefits from the BBC, you have no way of proving that. 

I disagree it's a bargain. The BBC does undoubtedly have some great value, but it is not the only broadcaster to offer this. ITV also has some brilliant content, but remind me how much you have to pay to see/read it. 

So whilst I respect your opinions, they are just that. And I actually share most of them, I don't begrudge paying for it. It's not a great sum of money for the majority and there are various ways to pay. 

My original comment was regarding Netflix. Comparing a TV license and Netflix isn't fair. Netflix is a service you pay for and can stop paying for whenever you want. But it's not the same with a TV license, regardless of whether you think the fee is fair or not. 

It is an indisputable fact that everyone in the UK benefits from the BBC. Every single person in the country has learned from the BBC, has been entertained by the BBC, has been employed by people who have learned or been entertained by the BBC, has - or will be - taught by people who have learned or been entertained by the BBC and has - or will be - looked after, at the end of their life, by people who have learned or been entertained by the BBC.  Its benevolent influence is ubiquitous across the country and widespread across English-speaking people across the world.  All UK broadcasters have employed former BBC staff.  Many news organisations employ former BBC journalists.  It is not possible to reach adulthood without being influenced by the BBC or being influenced by people who have been influenced by the BBC.  The BBC reaches 426m people a week. It's inconceivable that anyone in the UK doesn't benefit from it. 

I don't know anyone who has never seen a BBC TV programme, never heard a BBC radio show and never consumed BBC-delivered news content.  I suspect you haven't either.  So, I am very confident in my assertion that everyone in the UK benefits from the BBC.  Unless you know, personally, someone who doesn't..? 

I agree that comparing Netflix and the BBC isn't "fair".  But I didn't do that - you seem to be doing so.  

You've asked me to remind you how much it costs to view ITV content.  The website is accessible free; the cost to view the TV channel is £154.50 per year, but that allows you to consume many other, non-ITV channels as well. 

Finally, quit with the ad hominens, please: I haven't insulted you. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

It is an indisputable fact that everyone in the UK benefits from the BBC. Every single person in the country has learned from the BBC, has been entertained by the BBC, has been employed by people who have learned or been entertained by the BBC, has - or will be - taught by people who have learned or been entertained by the BBC and has - or will be - looked after, at the end of their life, by people who have learned or been entertained by the BBC.  Its benevolent influence is ubiquitous across the country and widespread across English-speaking people across the world.  All UK broadcasters have employed former BBC staff.  Many news organisations employ former BBC journalists.  It is not possible to reach adulthood without being influenced by the BBC or being influenced by people who have been influenced by the BBC.  The BBC reaches 426m people a week. It's inconceivable that anyone in the UK doesn't benefit from it. 

I don't know anyone who has never seen a BBC TV programme, never heard a BBC radio show and never consumed BBC-delivered news content.  I suspect you haven't either.  So, I am very confident in my assertion that everyone in the UK benefits from the BBC.  Unless you know, personally, someone who doesn't..? 

I agree that comparing Netflix and the BBC isn't "fair".  But I didn't do that - you seem to be doing so.  

You've asked me to remind you how much it costs to view ITV content.  The website is accessible free; the cost to view the TV channel is £154.50 per year, but that allows you to consume many other, non-ITV channels as well. 

My niece was born at 2pm, so yes I do know someone who hasn’t benefitted from the BBC ;) 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

My niece was born at 2pm, so yes I do know someone who hasn’t benefitted from the BBC ;) 
    Congratulations! 

I bet the staff where she was born have learned from the BBC though...
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

Congratulations! 

Probably, but just proves your previous “indisputable facts” weren’t facts at all. 
  • Well with the cricket being washed out today this conversation has provided much needed entertainment. 
    Cheers guys. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

Congratulations! 

Probably, but just proves your previous “indisputable facts” weren’t facts at all. 
    It's reinforcing the fact! She's benefited as those who've card for her will have learned from the BBC. 

Anyway, congratulations. I hope she's healthy, happy and, of course, an Addick 
  • Be careful there is a new scam email regarding TV Licence, probally targetting the over 75 who haveto start paying on 1st August.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Be careful there is a new scam email regarding TV Licence, probally targetting the over 75 who haveto start paying on 1st August.
    Just had the email, 20 years too early.
  • I've had a similar scam e-mail which says my TV Licence DD hasn't gone through, which is odd as it isn't even due yet. Report it to the Government site which deals with suspicious e-mails.

• Esi 1 are everywhere