Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 18's updates - 23/24 season (from p49), play-off final v Birmingham Sat 25th May 1pm (p63)

Comments

• Options
    Adigun is going to be a star. 

• Options
    Well done the kids. Fear Brighton may be a tough prospect.
  • Options
    Anderson is one of those young players who seems to have more time than the others to pick a pass. He looks real quality.
  • Options
    What round is it next against Brighton? 
  • Options
    Wtf they only scored 2 goals !!! TS out.

As has been mentioned countless times we should all prey we can hang on to this group as there are some real prospects.
  • Options
    You would happily pay to watch the current batch of U18's. The are absolutely superb. 
    Most of them are U17s (1st year scholars) which makes it even more impressive.

A really talented group.
  • Options
    https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/jan/07/fa-youth-cup-fifth-round-proper-draw-20220701

When you look at who else is in the last 16 you can see how well these boys have done, nearly all Premier clubs.
  • Options
    For those of you who watch the 18’s, was that our strongest side? I’m thinking it could also include the likes of Burstow, Elerewe and Barker?
  • Options
    Quick turnaround if the game has to be played before 5th Feb. Will be a really good game against Brighton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I enjoyed that. The U18s are quality.
  • Options
    What round is it next against Brighton? 
    Round 5. If we can beat Brighton, we'll be into the quarter finals.
  • Options
    FT 1-2..impressive physical game from both sides..BHA next round should be good
    Will Beadle be playing in that or is he cuptied? (I'm not sure if you can be cuptied in youth football anyway)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Fifth round ties:

Cambridge/Leeds v Nottm Forest
    Bournemouth v Leicester
    Liverpool v Chelsea
    Blackburn v Sheff Wed
    Blackpool v Newcastle
    Man Utd v Everton
    Wolves v Spurs/West Brom
    Charlton v Brighton

Cambridge v Leeds played tomorrow evening. Spurs v West Brom played on Friday afternoon.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    For those of you who watch the 18’s, was that our strongest side? I’m thinking it could also include the likes of Burstow, Elerewe and Barker?
    Pretty strong.  It's hard to know who is eligible for the U18's now but most of those players have been in there for the majority of the season

I've seen them a few times this season and The two centre backs and Kedwell are fairly new faces to me as was Kamara that came on (but he did well).  Note seen Kone either but he also looked decent.  Obviously we had Beadle until recently in the sticks.

Very enjoyable and entertaining game and looking forward to the Brighton game now
  • Options
    What type of CM is Anderson?
  • Options
    The tough thing about evaluating the future potential of the u18s is differentiating the individuals who are clearly a step above others in their age group and have the physical tools or skills to perform at a higher level (ie Gomez, Jonjo) vs those who are clearly stars for their age group but lack the quality to play against tougher competition.  We had fans who were raving about Ade Azeez and Tobi Sho Shilva as our next breakout stars from the youth setup but while their best skill was their speed, once they played against better competition, they had only average pace compared to other professionals.  Kanu has the feel of someone who clearly seems a step above given his movement and finishing though part of me wonders how that will translate given he doesn’t necessarily have the size or strength of a traditional center forward.  As far as the others are concerned, I haven’t seen enough to fairly evaluate them but my initial reaction is that they are very good but not at Kanu’s level. Can they make it as professionals, potentially, but it seems we are always anointing the next golden generation from the youth system when the reality is only one or two end up hav8ng solid professional careers
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He is an attacking centre mid, strong on the ball with a well weighted pass.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Scoham said:
    He is an attacking centre mid, strong on the ball with a well weighted pass.
    Good covering back too - great tackle to prevent a 1 on 1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    how enjoyable to watch a Charlton team play fast accurate attacking passing football, pity the 1st team can't do it
  • Options
    how enjoyable to watch a Charlton team play fast accurate attacking passing football, pity the 1st team can't do it
    There's something of a difference in the level of the opposition though isn't there. 

Our kids are able to play a bit more freely without too much risk. If they can't play freely at this level, they never will.
  • Options
    That was a big crowd there. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    When does Kanu get serious consideration for the first team matchday squads? It can’t be far off.
    Hopefully signs a contract soon if he hasn't already, and then plays upfront with Burstow in a supreme youth team, Charlton fan duo!  How awesome that could be !

Sadly my work meant I could not watch the game but well done to the lads.  Wonderful to have got this far and hopefully just the start.  They are certainly a talented bunch.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Wtf they only scored 2 goals !!! TS out.
    Bit harsh blaming Terry Skiverton. He only turned up yesterday!
    🤪
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Mega task to beat Brighton in the next round after their triumph over Man City but Cafc U18'S are a team of winners so should give it a good crack.
    Amazing to think both Deji and Mason could be playing in this team.

Kanu was only 17 a few months ago so his progress will be monitored and no doubt will play more games for the U23. Holding on to these lads will continue to be difficult as we found with James Beadle. 
  • Options
    When does Kanu get serious consideration for the first team matchday squads? It can’t be far off.
    Hopefully signs a contract soon if he hasn't already, and then plays upfront with Burstow in a supreme youth team, Charlton fan duo!  How awesome that could be !

Sadly my work meant I could not watch the game but well done to the lads.  Wonderful to have got this far and hopefully just the start.  They are certainly a talented bunch.
    I think they’re both Arsenal fans
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Why is he not playing for the U23s out of interest? He's clearly too good for U18 level and has 2 in 2 sub apps for u23s if im not mistaken? Get him in the u23s and as soon as he has signed a contract, Get him amongst the first team squad. This kid looks the real deal!
    100% he'll step up to the U23s soon, but plenty of clubs always play their main kids in the youth cup.

Man City yesterday played 2 kids who were on the first team bench last week.

Personally (assuming we have nothing to play for) i'd like to see Kanu getting a run out for the first team in the last 2-3 games of this season.
  • Options
    Last two 4th round ties are played tonight and the 5th round draw is:

Cambridge or Leeds v Nottingham Forest
    Bournemouth v Leicester
    Liverpool v Chelsea
    Blackburn v Sheffield Wednesday 
    Blackpool v Newcastle 
    Manchester United v Everton
    Wolves v Tottenham or West Brom
    Charlton v Brighton  
  • Options

I think they’re both Arsenal fans
    Mason has definitely got some Charlton blood…