Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 18's updates - 23/24 season (from p49), play-off final v Birmingham Sat 25th May 1pm (p63)

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Anderson is one of those young players who seems to have more time than the others to pick a pass. He looks real quality.
    What he has is the ability to see the pass before he gets the ball and that includes visionary passes which are played quickly and catch out defences. The accuracy of the passes is excelent too. He looks like he is going to be a bit of a unit added to that and showed he has pace when he raced back to catch a free man.

Kanu didn't really stand out, and hasn't the other times I have watched him but he scored and always scores. That is his job and that in iself is exciting.
  • Options
    The tough thing about evaluating the future potential of the u18s is differentiating the individuals who are clearly a step above others in their age group and have the physical tools or skills to perform at a higher level (ie Gomez, Jonjo) vs those who are clearly stars for their age group but lack the quality to play against tougher competition.  We had fans who were raving about Ade Azeez and Tobi Sho Shilva as our next breakout stars from the youth setup but while their best skill was their speed, once they played against better competition, they had only average pace compared to other professionals.  Kanu has the feel of someone who clearly seems a step above given his movement and finishing though part of me wonders how that will translate given he doesn’t necessarily have the size or strength of a traditional center forward.  As far as the others are concerned, I haven’t seen enough to fairly evaluate them but my initial reaction is that they are very good but not at Kanu’s level. Can they make it as professionals, potentially, but it seems we are always anointing the next golden generation from the youth system when the reality is only one or two end up hav8ng solid professional careers
    That was a good, if not outstanding group.   Most, if not all, of them had some sort of professional career which is quite rare. 
  • Options
    Hope the next round is at The Valley. Will definitely go and watch and get behind the team. Making 5th round is a great achievement 
  • Options

Great 2-1 win in the Fa Youth Cup, happy to contribute with another goal
  • Options
    can Beadle play against us or is he cup tied?
  • Options
    I am pretty sure he is cup tied, but don’t quote me. He will give insight to his new colleagues at any rate.
    I hope those who attend the Brighton game know that encouragement for the players playing in front of an ‘attendance’ can help a lot, but groans and cat calls if something goes wrong misses the point of connecting with young player development.
  • Options
    can Beadle play against us or is he cup tied?
    Didn’t play yesterday for them, so assume that’s a no.
  • Options
    Beadle played against Worthing for us so should be cup tied
  • Options
    The tough thing about evaluating the future potential of the u18s is differentiating the individuals who are clearly a step above others in their age group and have the physical tools or skills to perform at a higher level (ie Gomez, Jonjo) vs those who are clearly stars for their age group but lack the quality to play against tougher competition.  We had fans who were raving about Ade Azeez and Tobi Sho Shilva as our next breakout stars from the youth setup but while their best skill was their speed, once they played against better competition, they had only average pace compared to other professionals.  Kanu has the feel of someone who clearly seems a step above given his movement and finishing though part of me wonders how that will translate given he doesn’t necessarily have the size or strength of a traditional center forward.  As far as the others are concerned, I haven’t seen enough to fairly evaluate them but my initial reaction is that they are very good but not at Kanu’s level. Can they make it as professionals, potentially, but it seems we are always anointing the next golden generation from the youth system when the reality is only one or two end up hav8ng solid professional careers
    I think I was one of those raving about Azeez & Sho Silva. Also thought Holmes-Dennis and Semi Ajayi would go all the way. Ajayi has had a good career to be fair. Was shocked when we let him go.
  • Options
    Think Holmes-Dennis got a career finishing injury 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When does Kanu get serious consideration for the first team matchday squads? It can’t be far off.
    Hopefully signs a contract soon if he hasn't already, and then plays upfront with Burstow in a supreme youth team, Charlton fan duo!  How awesome that could be !

Sadly my work meant I could not watch the game but well done to the lads.  Wonderful to have got this far and hopefully just the start.  They are certainly a talented bunch.
    I think they’re both Arsenal fans
    Mason has definitely got some Charlton blood…
    Yeah both his aunt and uncle are Charlton fans and used to bring him to games, but he’s recently come out and admitted that Arsenal are his team.
  • Options
    Mason Burstow said Arsenal was his team to impress Johnnie Jackson !
  • Options
    I don't much like it when people support more than one team, but I'll generally allow Arsenal + Charlton; it's a combination I see quite often. One of the kids I work with is Spurs + Charlton (as is my dad)! Just as long as it isn't (insert NW team here) or Chelsea
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    That was a big crowd there. 
    I was thinking that too. It can't be much lower than some of their smaller 1st team crowds, especially considering the lack of away fans
  • Options
    At the final whistle there were cheers from a small group of what I assume were Charlton fans in the stand opposite the camera.
  • Options
    When does Kanu get serious consideration for the first team matchday squads? It can’t be far off.
    Hopefully signs a contract soon if he hasn't already, and then plays upfront with Burstow in a supreme youth team, Charlton fan duo!  How awesome that could be !

Sadly my work meant I could not watch the game but well done to the lads.  Wonderful to have got this far and hopefully just the start.  They are certainly a talented bunch.
    I think they’re both Arsenal fans
    Mason has definitely got some Charlton blood…
    Yeah both his aunt and uncle are Charlton fans and used to bring him to games, but he’s recently come out and admitted that Arsenal are his team.
    Disappointing.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leuth said:
    I don't much like it when people support more than one team, but I'll generally allow Arsenal + Charlton; it's a combination I see quite often. One of the kids I work with is Spurs + Charlton (as is my dad)! Just as long as it isn't (insert NW team here) or Chelsea
    Haha that is actually me, Dad Arsenal so followed them up until i became a Charlton regular at 11-12, so naturally feel more for Charlton but do follow Arsenal too , just not as bothered if that makes sense. People always question it, just heart feels what it feels :) 
  • Options
    Can't be dealing with the club that betrayed South London.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Haha that is actually me, Dad Arsenal so followed them up until i became a Charlton regular at 11-12, so naturally feel more for Charlton but do follow Arsenal too , just not as bothered if that makes sense. People always question it, just heart feels what it feels :) 
    My youngest is Charlton + Chelsea … even I don’t like him 🤬
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done you U18s, another impressive performance, and a great 3-0 win, good to get the better of that lot..showing the first team how it's done B)
  • Options
    Playing Brighton on Wednesday 9th February, according to the FA Youth Cup Website 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Still 2-0

Our u16s on the pitch next to us just won 5-2 against  Millwall 
    The futures bright it seems👍
  • Options
    the u16s are supposedly better than the current U18s were at the same stage of development 

I will try and get to see them soon I think