Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor penalties

Comments

• Options
    My take...I don’t think it’s anything about psyching out the keeper but everything to do with Lyle being an extrovert, wanting to be unique and put his stamp on it.

its working as 1. He’s scoring and 2. its starting to generate the attention he craves (imo). he is being recognised for it. 

I don't personally like it, it makes me too nervous and I think he’ll look a tit when it doesn’t work, but he too will know that so I admire his confidence to put himself up there to be knocked down. Nothing wrong with having a striker with natural confidence / arrogance.  
    Interesting take on things and I think it’s probably on the money.
  • Options
    Jeeees. The negative and judgemental brigade are out today! 

There's more logic to Lyle's style than that awful pretend slow mo jog that Pogba does.
  • Options
    It’s a slower motion version of yoni buyens psyche out with keepers 
    but yesterday Lyle slipped on his standing foot as he struck it , just got away with it thankfully 
  • Options
    Would piss me off if I was the oppo.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Would there be an advantage in not taking a run up at all?  

If the player placed his standing foot next to the ball and paused in his backlift, he could place the ball inside whichever post he chose and the keeper would have no time to start his dive.  When you run up to the ball, the keeper is given all the information he needs to be able to tell exactly when the kick will be taken and can "time" his dive appropriately.  But if you don't give him that information - ie by not running up - surely you would guarantee scoring, even if the keeper guesses the right way, because his timing would be "out". 
    That is more or less what Cullen did last Tuesday night. No real impact on the ball.
  • Options
    Don’t really care how he takes his pens...if the ball hits the back of the net...happy days...yep it winds up the oppo...yep it makes us lot nervous ,everyone misses pens either too soft, easily saved, misplaced or blasted wide or high...pretty sure when Lyle misses one doing it HIS style...there will be some from here on his back,I’m sure some people want him to fail, just to say “ I told ya so” ,let Lyle be Lyle, enjoy it, (whilst chewing them nails on the long long walk up)...cause he might not be with us for too long....

pray that he is tho...🙏
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    My take...I don’t think it’s anything about psyching out the keeper but everything to do with Lyle being an extrovert, wanting to be unique and put his stamp on it.

its working as 1. He’s scoring and 2. its starting to generate the attention he craves (imo). he is being recognised for it. 

I don't personally like it, it makes me too nervous and I think he’ll look a tit when it doesn’t work, but he too will know that so I admire his confidence to put himself up there to be knocked down. Nothing wrong with having a striker with natural confidence / arrogance.  
    It took Yann a while to live down his fluffed panenka penalty. Still, happy so far!
  • Options
    Perhaps he changed it because he missed some last season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It works for him,so there you go.Sooner or later he will miss one and will get slaughtered,meanwhile lets just enjoy it.
  • Options
    Its like Marmite.

Most love it and think its great but as soon as he misses one the "blast down the middle" brigade will be lining up to shoot him down 
  • Options
    I also think opposition fans silently must be impressed, but obviously don’t show it.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure he’s got the pills to deal with a couple of misses too. 
    Yeah, Taylor might have ...... but those penalties are the one thing that Bowyer worries about. :smile:

• Options
    I know it's not the primary reason he does it but it's a great way to eat up the clock.
  • Options
    I know it's not the primary reason he does it but it's a great way to eat up the clock.
    Not a great way to "eat up the clock" in the 89th minute if he misses!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Not a great way to "eat up the clock" in the 89th minute if he misses!
    How many has he missed since his new slow walk style? 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Chizz said:

If the player placed his standing foot next to the ball and paused in his backlift, he could place the ball inside whichever post he chose and the keeper would have no time to start his dive.  When you run up to the ball, the keeper is given all the information he needs to be able to tell exactly when the kick will be taken and can "time" his dive appropriately.  But if you don't give him that information - ie by not running up - surely you would guarantee scoring, even if the keeper guesses the right way, because his timing would be "out". 
    That is more or less what Cullen did last Tuesday night. No real impact on the ball.
    What game was Cullen playing in last Tuesday?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Chizz said:

Must have meant either Morgan or Forster-Caskey
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Crusty54 said:
    Chizz said:

Really? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Chizz said:

Must have meant either Morgan or Forster-Caskey
    JFC as Morgan's penalty was belted but wide.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I think there’s an element of this but still believe it’s primarily psyching out the keeper. 
    Agree with this... He was able to stroke it into the net against Barnsley because it looks as though he makes the Goalkeeper dive before he strikes the ball

The one he scored in the shootout (v Doncaster) had a little bit more power as the Goalkeeper stayed on his feet longer (well he didnt dive at all)
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Chizz said:

Really?
    Really what? Wasn't aware Cullen was playing last Tuesday.

If it's JFC penalty that's being referred to it was nothing like Taylor's penalty. JFC hit it with no conviction or confidence and I think the keeper was clear of the direction.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

JFC hit it with no conviction or confidence and I think the keeper was clear of the direction.
    Yeah, agree ...... straight out of the Michael Gray manual, "How to miss a penalty at Wembley".

• Options
    edited August 2019
    What is slightly bizarre is that Lyle's been taking his penalties the same way for months!

(Other clubs know, it's obvious, as shown by the Barnsley player trying to stand in his way to put him off.)

Suddenly, it's become global news!
  • Options
    Oh great, so we'll be fighting off Barca and Real come January! Aaaagh - or worse - their transfer window is still open!!
  • Options
    What is slightly bizarre is that Lyle's been taking his penalties the same way for months!

(Other clubs know, it's obvious, as shown by the Barnsley player trying to stand in his way to put him off.)

Suddenly, it's become global news!
    Championship probably gets a lot more global coverage than League One though
  • Options
    The Sky clip of his penalty v Doncaster in The Play-offs has over 5 million views on YouTube.
  • Options
    The Sky clip of his penalty v Doncaster in The Play-offs has over 5 million views on YouTube.
    They used Pogba’s name for clickbait. Taylor’s penalties are better than Pogba’s anyway. At least Lyle’s unique run-up serves a purpose, unlike Pogba who does it solely for the attention