Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Aug | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Watched that clip again & now have proof what we all new sitting in the East Stand......that Taylor didn't run the ball out. He kept it in brilliantly & the linesman (as usual) was a useless numpty. 
    At around 19/20s it looks like it's out of play but the East Stand is the wrong place to judge such a fine margin, what with not being able to see the line clearly either side of the ball.  The ref's assistant is in the right place so I'd trust him more than any number in the wrong place.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Think Sarr played better in the Forest game as we weren’t playing it out from the back in the deck  so much - need to mix up how we play out it/big kicks from the keeper rather than all one or the other.

Agree the potential shown in the Forest game shows promise, and that is why momentum is so important.

The squads above (below at the moment) us are bloated but ours is still a little thin quality wise which could be quite exposed with a few injuries.
    How is our squad ‘thin quality wise’ ???

We're a bit thin at both right back and left back, I'd say.
    Strikers too I’d say
  • Options
    Phillips getting some mental marks for a clean sheet.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I just remembered Bolton effectively gave us Pratley for Magennis. 

Ouch.
    Could say they gave us Pratley and Oztumer for Magennis...
    And apparently paid us £400k for Magennis.

• Options
    that sums up how good a defensive display that was for us and although the chants are not original!! I believe the noise coming from the north carried these bunch of players to push home the 3 points
  • Options
    Phillips getting some mental marks for a clean sheet.
    Need to drop him - he's rubbish. 
  • Options
    razil said:
    razil said:
    Think Sarr played better in the Forest game as we weren’t playing it out from the back in the deck  so much - need to mix up how we play out it/big kicks from the keeper rather than all one or the other.

Agree the potential shown in the Forest game shows promise, and that is why momentum is so important.

The squads above (below at the moment) us are bloated but ours is still a little thin quality wise which could be quite exposed with a few injuries.

Strikers too I’d say
    Taylor Hemed Bonne Leko and Aneke can all play up front
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    razil said:
    razil said:

Strikers too I’d say
    Taylor, Leko, Hemed, Bonne plus Aneke as an option there.

Could be a lot worse. No reason why Leko can’t improve and get a few goals, and if gets assists like on Wednesday he’s contributing. The way we set up and play means he’s meant to be a threat from out wide, not just be a poacher getting on the end of balls into the box.
  • Options
    pre season we would have looked at the games we had played and thought we would have taken a spanking by now. Now many our fearing because of the pressure brentford put us under we are in trouble. Thats what I call it pressure. We stood up to it and walked away with the three points. Take a look at fulham yesterday 70 percent of pocession but forest turned them over. So we got a smash and grab victory what team doesnt do that. We will be alright this season, dark horses for the play offs if some of the bigger fish continue to sink ie stoke boro derby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Just mowed the lawn and came back in with increased understanding of our lads yday!
    A very keen observation sir.  I got up at 11.00 had a shit, shower and shave and left the flat.  Back indoors after 45 minutes, too hot!

Feck running around for 90 minutes in it.
    Must have been a bad one if you had to give it 45 minutes
    Like he said. It was too hot.
  • Options
    stevec said:
    We're top of the league, we're top of the league, apart from Leeds united and Swansea. we're top of the league. COYAs!!!!
    Corrected for you ... 
  • Options
    It should be remembered that Sarr also makes his own time and space with a good interception or a neat turn. It's not always that he isn't being pressed. 
  • Options
    One reason for the pressure yesterday, is that Pearce defends 10 yards deeper which creates huge gaps in midfield.
    Ten yards deeper than whom? He’s not not much slower than Sarr. Far worse on the ball, granted 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    It should be remembered that Sarr also makes his own time and space with a good interception or a neat turn. It's not always that he isn't being pressed. 
    Yeah but in games in the playoffs or the championship , he was piss poor, bar the midweek game, when we had all the ball .  If he never has another bad game, nobody will be happier than me 
  • Options
    Wow, Sam Field!
    What a Stanley Cup Champion block that was.
    Looking at the replays, that won it for me.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    That felt like an FA Cup 3rd Round tie (in surreal, January sweltering heat), with Charlton playing a team a division above them. Brentford totally dominated the game but created relatively little in the way of clear chances, given their vast amount of possession. Watkins looked lively but they look as if they are paying the price for selling their top scorer for £20 million and failing to replace him.

We struggled from the start, looking very leggy, and were outnumbered and outwitted in midfield by Brentford’s slick and fluid play. To his credit, Lee Bowyer managed to stem the tide with a change of shape, with 3 at the back and the full backs pushing on. A couple of moments of magic from Jonny Williams and Gallagher saw us ahead at the break.

I thought we started the first five minutes of the second half well, with Hemed putting in a few decent challenges and Lyle just failing to get on the end of a fizzing cross from Ben Purrington. Normal service was, however, resumed and Brentford really started to turn the screw, targeting the right flank of our defence, in particular. George Lapslie found himself under intense pressure and frequently overloaded, with Brentford’s left back an auxiliary winger, but we somehow kept them out with some heroic defending and great blocks, notably from Pearce and Lockyer.

A very fortunate result but a gutsy rearguard action yielded another priceless 3 points -  11 down, 39 to go. Let’s get to 50 and see how much further we can go.

A result at Reading will put the seal on a great opening month, which has exceeded all expectations. Thereafter, the international break will give the regular players a breather and some of the others a chance to get fit and integrate further into the squad. 
    You say they created very little and then say we were very fortunate.

With all their possessions they should have created more but didn’t. 10 shots, with half of those probably coming in the last 10 minutes isn’t good enough. Very pretty side but with no cutting edge. For me, the only real fortunate thing for us is that they didn’t buy a decent forward. It is the only thing they are missing, but has already ruined their season and could see them in and around the bottom 3 until they buy in January. Taylor bidding starts at £10m.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The great thing about being under the cash for such a long time on Saturday is everyone in the Charlton team and on the terraces will believe that we are good enough to soak up pressure if we want to and still win the game when we need to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A superb result ,fully deserved just for the effort the players put in,not one of them left anything on that pitch.Bowyer will be delighted,but I bet he has spent the weekend working out how we conceded so much possession,and will be on it in training this week.
  • Options
    I have said it before @soapboxsam but Hemed's tackle is arguably the best I have ever seen. The attacker is two yards away from an open goal with the ball all but at his feet. How Hemed gets round him without giving a pen away is amazing; simply shower more desire than the attacker.
  • Options
    I have said it before @soapboxsam but Hemed's tackle is arguably the best I have ever seen. The attacker is two yards away from an open goal with the ball all but at his feet. How Hemed gets round him without giving a pen away is amazing; simply shower more desire than the attacker.
    Lockyer's last-ditch intervention on Grabban last Wednesday was extraordinary, too.  He stretched from behind to cleanly knock the ball away when the Forest man was about to fire.  We stood and applauded that - and it looks just as good on the TV highlights.
  • Options
    Agree,
    When you are at the match, despite being down the other end, I knew Pearce and I thought Field or Purrington had taken a hit for the team but it was only seeing the highlights more than once that I realized that Hemed who has the same physique as the talismanic Yann, (will he be as good for Cafc ?) had tracked the player.

We have a good 18 man squad now and we still have Beram Kayal to be introduced to the squad and fans.
  • Options
    Agree,
    When you are at the match, despite being down the other end, I knew Pearce and I thought Field or Purrington had taken a hit for the team but it was only seeing the highlights more than once that I realized that Hemed who has the same physique as the talismanic Yann, (will he be as good for Cafc ?) had tracked the player.

We have a good 18 man squad now and we still have Beram Kayal to be introduced to the squad and fans.
    I too was struck by Hemed's similar physique to the great Yann.  If he turns out to be anywhere near as effective, we are in for a treat.  He had a decent scoring ratio at Brighton and on loan at QPR: one in three. 
  • Options
    Possession is not everything, ask Brentford and Spurs.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Possession is not everything, ask Brentford and Spurs.
    It is nine points of the law, but nil points in the League.
  • Options
    razil said:

Difference is Forest didn't press at all 1st half 

Brentford pressed from the first second.