Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Aug | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    We had to move seats as we were in the sun and sweat was just poring off us. I hate to think how hard it must have been to play in it!
  • Options
    Weather was awful yesterday for playing football in - very hot and humid. Must have been exhausting.
  • Options
    We had to move seats as we were in the sun and sweat was just poring off us. I hate to think how hard it must have been to play in it!
    Leko's chalk and cheese energy levels  performance from Saturday compared to Wednesday told me it was baking hot.

Brentford were excellent and supremely fit until they arrived in and around our box  where  fortunately for Cafc they were profligate.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    How many years has it been that you've seen a Charlton side under the cosh like that and hold on to a lead? This is a team made up of loanees and they put their bodies on the line as if they've come up through the academy. The ethos and team spirit Bowyer and Jacko have built up is on a different level. Lockyer absolutely immense at the back and Lapslie deserves all the recognition he can get for that performance.

Remember under Peters we scored a penalty early v Watford and hung on for the win. Very similar performance imo.
  • Options
    I broke my boycott of The Valley today, first time in forever £45 on the door for me and my boy 

Did we have more than one shot on target? I thought we were very fortunate to get away with all 3 points, somehow our defence kept a clean sheet and I don't know how. I was very happy to see the back of Brentford's number 3, he got behind us way too often

A good atmosphere for most of the game although VFR gets sung at 1000mph with a polite clap to ourselves for remembering the words I guess.

Great result

@ThreadKiller  and @Robbo on the wing

two proper long term Charlton fans. Weren’t our best performance but glad you were both back in the fold chaps and hopefully getting a bit of The Valley buzz again. 
  • Options
    Think Sarr played better in the Forest game as we weren’t playing it out from the back in the deck  so much - need to mix up how we play out it/big kicks from the keeper rather than all one or the other.

Agree the potential shown in the Forest game shows promise, and that is why momentum is so important.

The squads above (below at the moment) us are bloated but ours is still a little thin quality wise which could be quite exposed with a few injuries.
  • Options
    I wondered if Bowyer’s thinking was playing Sarr against a team that don’t press high up the pitch. That way he gets the space to really use his passing ability. Against Brentford with their pressing his passing could help us play out from the back, but if he gets caught out once we could be punished.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Think Sarr played better in the Forest game as we weren’t playing it out from the back in the deck  so much - need to mix up how we play out it/big kicks from the keeper rather than all one or the other.

Agree the potential shown in the Forest game shows promise, and that is why momentum is so important.

The squads above (below at the moment) us are bloated but ours is still a little thin quality wise which could be quite exposed with a few injuries.
    How is our squad ‘thin quality wise’ ???

• Options
    razil said:

We're a bit thin at both right back and left back, I'd say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a freebie in the sweltering lower north. 
    Totally different display to Wednesday.
    We looked lethargic (I suspect due to the heat) and just couldn’t win the second ball, however every player put a shift in.
    Great play by Williams to set Gallagher up for an excellent finish, this lad must play for England soon, superb footballer.
    Desperate defending by Pearce and Lockyer (my MOM). What a performance by the central defenders, not forgetting Pratleys contribution too.
    Two great saves by Phillips, hopefully that will restore his confidence. And yes he should stay as number one.
    Although Taylor didn’t score his movement for the goal and his work rate was excellent, he was shattered at the end, a real team player.
    But the highlight for me was George Lapslie, one of our own comes on to play out of position as full back, gritted his teeth, rolled his sleeves up, battled and never gave a yard to his man, even when he had two or three round him he came away with the ball, his performance was a microcosm of the ethos of Charlton Athlete.
    Mark my words that will do him the world of good, take a bow young man!
    We really do have our Charlton back!
    COYRs
  • Options
    I just remembered Bolton effectively gave us Pratley for Magennis. 

Ouch.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I just remembered Bolton effectively gave us Pratley for Magennis. 

Ouch.
    Could say they gave us Pratley and Oztumer for Magennis...
  • Options
    LB chose his subs well yesterday. If we had JF-C instead of Lapslie we would have folded. I think Gallagher should be rested at Reading even though he played very well and scored a great goal. In LB we trust.
  • Options
    Just mowed the lawn and came back in with increased understanding of our lads yday!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Just mowed the lawn and came back in with increased understanding of our lads yday!
    A very keen observation sir.  I got up at 11.00 had a shit, shower and shave and left the flat.  Back indoors after 45 minutes, too hot!

Feck running around for 90 minutes in it.
  • Options
    LB chose his subs well yesterday. If we had JF-C instead of Lapslie we would have folded. I think Gallagher should be rested at Reading even though he played very well and scored a great goal. In LB we trust.
    Gallagher will have a week of training till lunch time and can get plenty of rest.
    No game till Saturday.
    Conor is 19 and will be loving every minute of this loan and doing an impression of a young Frank Lampard and arriving in the box to score.
    Out of all our squad unless he has any knocks, Gallagher, along with Cullen, Taylor and Lockyer are the 4 players that will be hard to replace despite our improving 18 man squad. ( Lockyer because both Sarr and Pearce are left sided CB)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Celtic  never used to wear numbers on their shirts until instructed to do so by the Scottish FA in the 94/95 season. Only other explanation is Taylor had to change his original one which was blood stained although they must have had numbered spares 😮. The mystery rumbles on.

Dont we have a club shop that puts names & numbers on shirts....I believe it is only yards away too.
    Taylor refuses to spend anymore money than necessary at the ground so wouldn't go to the shop at half time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     Williams replaced at half time

Williams was replaced about 10 minutes before the end.
  • Options
    One reason for the pressure yesterday, is that Pearce defends 10 yards deeper which creates huge gaps in midfield.
  • Options
    I assume people talking about Taylor not playing well yesterday is a joke, but if not, I disagree and if you watch our goal, he pulls to the left and makes the defence move with him that creates the gap for Gallagher
  • Options
    razil said:

We're a bit thin at both right back and left back, I'd say.
    More threadbare than thin.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Watched that clip again & now have proof what we all new sitting in the East Stand......that Taylor didn't run the ball out. He kept it in brilliantly & the linesman (as usual) was a useless numpty. 
    Right in front of us too and Lyle DEFINITELY kept the ball in.

Think most of us were too exhausted under that sun to keep up the criticism of the Lino for as long as we normally would...
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Just lying on the lawn was bad enough, you're either, to quote Noel Coward, a mad dog or an Englishman.