Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Bulgaria / Kosovo

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2019
    TAA is probably the best RB in world football at the moment.
    Disagree, i think he is good with alot of potential but i dont think he is 'best in the world', needs to work on his defence. Was poor last night in bits.. 

If Trips was back to his old self or how he has been playing for Athletico i would start him ahead for the time being, but obviously not much in it. 
    Be interested to know who you thinks better.

TAA just made team of the year in the Prem, won the CL and got MoM in the final. Trippier has had one good game in about 16 months.

Only RB's i can think of near TAA quality over the last year is probably Pavard, Walker and Carvejal.
  • Options
    As Lee Dixon said on TV, it was a very casual performance, a level of complacency you'd hope we wouldn't have if playing Belgium or France

I agree with him too, modern defenders are judged so much on their attacking flair that defensive skills seem to be overlooked. Can full backs run down the wing, can centre backs bring to ball out, can they all pass from the back like a Pep team, etc
  • Options
    As Lee Dixon said on TV, it was a very casual performance, a level of complacency you'd hope we wouldn't have if playing Belgium or France

I agree with him too, modern defenders are judged so much on their attacking flair that defensive skills seem to be overlooked. Can full backs run down the wing, can centre backs bring to ball out, can they all pass from the back like a Pep team, etc
    We were 5-1 up at half time, that's hardly a 'casual' performance.

And yes second half it was pretty slack but you can't expect a team (not many do) to play at the same level when the game is pretty much out of sight at half time. Most of our side were probably already looking ahead to the weekend.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Our attack is frightening, so quick, so much skill and class. They’re young still too and that’s exciting. Sterling has quickly became one of the best players in the world at what he does and he now believes in his ability too. Thank you Pep.

Our midfield is not good enough as a unit right now. Good players but doesn’t function in a way a top national side needs it to. No idea why we play Rice and Henderson together, and then Barkley with them. Don’t really get what Rice adds to the team right now, nor do I believe he has done enough to be starting, but maybe there isn’t another sitting midfielder playing regularly enough in the Premier League so we have no choice to include him? Henderson is by far the better player though. No idea why and how Mount has got into this squad and is now ahead of Maddison. What does Maddison have to do to get a chance like Mount has got? One season in the Championship and being Lampard’s love child doesn’t warrant that. Incredible how Barkley can’t get in ahead of him at Chelsea but does for England. In a way, how can Mount be called up and played but Foden not if you’re going on what they’ve done. Lots of work to do in the midfield. We lack a box to box, we lack someone who is going to score goals from that position and take the pressure off the front three, and we lack a real commanding ball-winne. Rice might be that in future but certainly isn’t now. Someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain needs to play regularly for Liverpool because a fit and firing Ox could be an asset for England.

Defence is a bit of a mess to be completely honest. Going forward Alexander-Arnold is fantastic, going the other way he needs to improve. His positioning isn’t great and is lucky he has pace to recover, it makes up for it, but there is definite room for improvement.

Maguire reads the game well and is fairly solid, but he can expose us too much, especially against better opponents. Keane is not good enough to start for England. Gomez is miles better, as is Stones but he’s injured. For me, Keane is 4th choice at best, but that’s my opinion. Gomez has proved he is great on the ball, can step out into the right back role to cover TAA when he pushes forward, and still remember when he had Neymar in his pocket all game against Brazil.

At left back, it is a bit of an issue for me. Rose is very good still but not a long term option, Chilwell is very good but have question marks over his defending and ability to not get beaten. Hopefully Powell’s influence will help his game. Other than those two, we have Shaw but he’s always injured so isn’t worth adding into the thinking right now.

Overall, this England side is exciting and only going to get better because they’re so young and thankfully getting the chance to play regularly in the Premier League. We have some fantastic talent at our disposal, but we also have some areas with much room for improvement and I think it would be wise to recognise that because pretty much every other top national side has a better 3 in midfield than us right now in my opinion. That’s where I would focus on. The defence will improve with time and experience. We just really lack a top class midfielder. 
    Bang on! 
  • Options

We were 5-1 up at half time, that's hardly a 'casual' performance.

And yes second half it was pretty slack but you can't expect a team (not many do) to play at the same level when the game is pretty much out of sight at half time. Most of our side were probably already looking ahead to the weekend.
    We were 5-1 up as Kosovo played a very open system and made mistakes themselves

But even in the first half there was sloppy play in defensive positions
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Still waiting on suggestions who's a better Right sided full back than TAA in world football at the moment/over the last year. Its a subject open for debate, rather than just pressing the LOL button.
  • Options
    Still waiting on suggestions who's a better Right sided full back than TAA in world football at the moment/over the last year. Its a subject open for debate, rather than just pressing the LOL button.
    Chris Solly
  • Options

Simon Francis
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The only one I can think of is Pavard. But as you say, TAA has probably been the pick for the last year or so. 
  • Options
    Kimmich. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kimmich. 
    A good season for Bayern in Bundesliga, plenty of assists, but Bayern didn't have a good CL campaign and Germany a horrible Nations League.
  • Options
    Kimmich. 
    A good season for Bayern in Bundesliga, plenty of assists, but Bayern didn't have a good CL campaign and Germany a horrible Nations League.
    And he often plays as a holding midfielder. 
  • Options
    I said Trippier, but depending who we are playing. 

In europe i cant say i follow too much, i dont have a list ready for you. Walker, is very similar but for City he must be one of the best. I think he has alot of room for improvement, i would still probably play him some games eg. Kosovo , but against a better side i would worry about his Defensive side. It depends what you want from your fullback ultimately, but i wouldn't say he is world class just because he got in the Champions league or world 11 whatever it was. 
  • Options
    Kimmich. 
    And he often plays as a holding midfielder. 
    Kimmich is definitely playing as a holding midfielder this season for Bayern, because Pavard is their right back.
  • Options
    Kimmich is a great footballer but has the exact same defensive flaws as TAA. He was honestly one of the main reasons Germany had a poor World Cup.

TAA may not be great defensively, but currently its hard to argue against him being the best RB in the world.
  • Options
    Of course your defensive side is less of an issue if you score more than your opponents.
  • Options
    TAA's defensive weaknesses are massively helped by having Van Dyck in the middle!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It's clear that the defence needs to be sorted out. We're not very good playing out from the back (as proven against Holland in the Nations league semi). But i think Maguire and TAA pick themselves, we just need to find out the best LB (Shaw/Rose/Chilwell) and best CB (Gomez/Stones/Keane) to fit in 

Midfield has potential with plenty of options to come in to the side who weren't there last night (Foden, Mount, Maddison, Alli).

Up front, we're as good as any international side in the world. 
    I dont think Gomez has been the same since his last injury set back. Certainly not as assured as before it happened and the fact he is behind Matip for Liverpool and supposedly now Keane for England, when he is superior to both, is a bit of a concern. Thankfully he is young enough to get back to form with any luck.
  • Options
    Rice is mustard and will be playing for England for a long time. 
    I think it better to add Wasabi to Rice
  • Options
    Thought Rice and Keane were hopeless Henderson shit and the two full backs average at best when defending.

Think Southgate is going the way of many previous England managers in that we are so fucking predictable, a good side will close us down at the back and we will simply give the ball away, we are not good enough at playing out from the back.
    I like Southgate but I would offer the job to Eddie Howe right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of the media criticism has been way over the top, Keane's mistake for the first goal was an absolute howler - but just like Sarr's mistake at Wembley you have to accept that these things happen sometimes.

Once we're 5-1 up at half-time then second half Kosovo can go nuts and attack like demons because they had nothing to lose so they pulled a couple of goals back, no big deal really.

The bottom line is that England HAVE to be able to play out of the back under pressure, they fell apart against Croatia in the World Cup semi-final because they kept hoofing it forward and it kept coming straight back so the team has to be able to play out and keep possession.

Sure, there will be some mistakes but so far - against Holland and Kosovo - they have not really mattered.
  • Options
    Thought Rice and Keane were hopeless Henderson shit and the two full backs average at best when defending.

Think Southgate is going the way of many previous England managers in that we are so fucking predictable, a good side will close us down at the back and we will simply give the ball away, we are not good enough at playing out from the back.
    World cup semi finalists. Nations league 3rd place. 100% record so far in EC qualifying..............and you want to sack the manager? 

We'd look pretty fucking stupid if Howe struggled in the job.
    I've got a feeling that Levy will go for Howe if and when Poch leaves Tottenham.
  • Options

World cup semi finalists. Nations league 3rd place. 100% record so far in EC qualifying..............and you want to sack the manager? 

We'd look pretty fucking stupid if Howe struggled in the job.
    Even if we were doing badly, I wouldn’t want Howe anywhere near the England job. Might just be me, but I think he is well overrated. Obviously not an issue in the England job, but he has wasted so much money on very average players. 
  • Options
    Howe is a small team manager.

Couldnt hack it at Burnley.

He is modern day Mike Walker - can only succeed at the small club he made his name at.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Howe is a small team manager.

Couldnt hack it at Burnley.

He is modern day Mike Walker - can only succeed at the small club he made his name at.
    David Moyes? Southgate lol :) could fit the bill
  • Options

Please behave.

Plus i hate Eddie Howe, little lesbian looking mug.
  • Options
    Little smile discovering this at St Mary's yesterday 

• Options

• Options
    JT said:

I seen one of these stickers at Peppa Pig world (day out with the kids honest). Looks like we have copied Palace